Replies

• purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Carrot dogs!
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I made BBQ pulled "pork" (shredded extra firm tofu) for the super bowl!

http://undercoverdiva-asitcom.blogspot.com/2013/02/super-bowl-sunday-vegetarian-style.html

I always grill portobello mushroom caps and use those in place of burgers. You can top them with cheese and condiments just like a regular burger. I also make my own veggie burgers out of chickpeas, lentils, black beans, etc.

http://undercoverdiva-asitcom.blogspot.com/2013/03/lentil-burgers-and-gypsy-weekends.html

http://undercoverdiva-asitcom.blogspot.com/2013/05/sunday-food-prep.html

The burgers will be a little mushier (since I don't use eggs as a binder) but I found that if I placed them on tin foil on the grill, smashed them back together after flipping them, and topped them with cheese (although I'm sure you could do without cheese if you wish), they held together fine and taste great!
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I pin marinated capsicum, cottage cheese(paneer ), Onion, tomato, mushroom in a stick and barbecue it. You can use mint chutney as a dip.

Also baby potatoes can be pricked and marinated in the tandoori spice mix and then barbecued. Also, try slitting okra and stuffing it with the masala mix and quickly roast.

Masala mix: Chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, finely chopped garlic (optional), pinch of sugar and squeeze some lemon juice.

Also cottage cheese can be marinated in many different ways. You can google the following mix : tandoori, achari, pudina(mint), soya sauce + tomato ketchup, etc.

If you get large aubergines, less sweet pumpkin, slice them and soak the slices in tamarind water + salt for an hour. Take fine semolina/rice flour add salt, chilli powder, cumin powder to the flour. Take out the slices one by one after an hour, simply pat it in the dry spice flour mix (slice will be lightly coated) and grill them. sprinkle little oil while iti s grilling grilling. Take out once golden brown. Even potatoes can be used for this.

Let me know if you need exact measurements.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Linda McCartney sausages, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, vegetable kebabs :smile:
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Bean burgers.

Quorn pieces on a skewer in peanut satay sauce.

A salad with pasta and grilled italian veggies.

Grilled corn.

Those massive mushrooms, grilled and then stuffed.

Grilled italian bread with all sorts of toppings.

Roasted or grilled peppers chopped up with ricotta, fresh oregano, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Skewer pieces of green pepper, red pepper, red onion, courgette, small mushrooms, and a couple of cubes of haloumi (15 grams per skewer) onto wooden sticks, season with a little extra virgin olive oil (hardly any, really), some salt and pepper, and barbecue, turning a couple of times.
    I serve this with thousand island dressing (Tesco do a nice one, something like 30 calories per tablespoon, with no nasty sweeteners or anything) on a tortilla wrap (the small ones that are 135 calories) - it is GORGEOUS, filling, and healthy.
    I had friends over for a BBQ at the weekend, some non vegetarians too, and everyone loved these (I was the only one who knew how healthy they were).
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    a head of romaine lettuce, drizzled with olive oil and vinegar, then dust with preferred spices (nutritional yeast, black pepper, garlic and ancho chili powder are all good options) and throw on the grill until nice and crisped. It's delicious.
  • TractorRosy
    TractorRosy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thick marinated aubergine steaks
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I didn't grill it, but I did make some barbecued seitan ribz in the oven last night from The Fat Free Vegan blog. They were pretty good, I think would have been even better on the grill. I also like grilled corn and squash or zucchini. I also recently discovered field roast veggie franfurters, and those were pretty yummy!
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Oh, that all sounds so yummy. Will definetly try some of the recipes at the weekend. Yummy!
  • Miiimii
    Options
    Soy is estrogenic, you shouldn't eat that.

That's right, but it all about the quantity. If you don't eat it too often and look for organic soy from europe (not the genetically modified stuff from the U.S.), I think it's fine.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Cut open large poblano peppers, remove seeds but leave stem on. Fill with your favorite corn bread batter. Grill until batter is cooked through in the center.
  • roodawgy
    roodawgy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want something that is both healthy and quick, check out Boca Burgers. I'll give you the link for the best, healthiest one that fits you. It should be high in protein, low in fat and carbs, and supposedly tastes great.

I think it's the Boca original Vegan patties? Check it out. http://www.bocaburger.com/products/nutrition-info.aspx?product=5928360061
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Oh, and grilled pizza!! Make dough and break into fist-sized pieces. Roll or press flat to about dinner plate size. Grill for a minute or two on each side until they are no longer raw looking. Use sliced tomatoes or pesto as sauce. Top with roasted veggies and cheese or vegan cheese of your choice. Or just drizzle with a little olive oil. Place back on the grill until cooked through. Careful the bottom doesn't burn - use indirect method.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Carrot dogs!

Is this for real or are you ****ing with us?
  • SkinnyMozza
    SkinnyMozza Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Carrot dogs!

Whats a carrot dog? is that your own recipe? :smile:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I found this link earlier this week to some great veggie burger pictures and recipes. The Smoky Sweet Potato Burgers With Roasted Garlic Cream and BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers are very high on my list to try.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/29/veggie-burgers-recipe-homemade_n_3347409.html
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    grilled pizzas!
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/03/recipe-thanksgiving-in-july-backyard.html

This. This right here. These are by far the best vegan "burgers" I have ever made.
  • Miiimii
    Options
    Grilled pizza sound like fun - I never tried or saw that. It's on the top of my to do list now.