confused?

Options
So i knwo you should work out the same muscle group 2 days in a row saposed to give a day off between.

What confuses me is cardio work out like the elliptical. i started the gym 3 days ago and my calfs felt fine and the next day there so sore. i worked out again doing just cardio on elliptical and bike. still sore. same as day 3. now cardio should be a daily thing but if its sore doesnt that count as working out the same muscle group 3 days in a row and a no no? lol

Replies

• FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    AND I KNOW HORRIBLE SPELLING. had to type fast and go
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    you lost me at the same muscle group two days in a row.....I never knew this!
  • ATPstrong
    ATPstrong Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Fearless Rob!

You're right, although I think you mistyped your point: You should NOT workout the same muscle group two days in a row. After resistance training (weight lifting), you are breaking down your muscle fibres. The idea is that you break them down during your workout and your muscles will grow back bigger/stronger. This process of recovery takes approximately 48 hours hence the recommendation of at least a day off before you train the same muscle group again.
    Two exceptions are abs/core and calves, due to the type of muscle fibre they are they respond differently to exercise than others do.

You mentioned in your post that you started at the gym 3 days ago. If you are just starting a training program, it is normal that you would be quite sore to start as your muscles are getting used to the new movements. It will get easier :) Are you doing the elliptical on an incline/how high? Try adjusting the incline to take some of the pressure off of your calves.

Cardio can definitely be a daily thing (although I always recommend one full rest day per week). Make sure that you are stretching after all workouts (even cardio) and make sure that you are staying well hydrated.

Hope this helps!!
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    Hi Fearless Rob!

You're right, although I think you mistyped your point: You should NOT workout the same muscle group two days in a row. After resistance training (weight lifting), you are breaking down your muscle fibres. The idea is that you break them down during your workout and your muscles will grow back bigger/stronger. This process of recovery takes approximately 48 hours hence the recommendation of at least a day off before you train the same muscle group again.
    Two exceptions are abs/core and calves, due to the type of muscle fibre they are they respond differently to exercise than others do.

You mentioned in your post that you started at the gym 3 days ago. If you are just starting a training program, it is normal that you would be quite sore to start as your muscles are getting used to the new movements. It will get easier :) Are you doing the elliptical on an incline/how high? Try adjusting the incline to take some of the pressure off of your calves.

Cardio can definitely be a daily thing (although I always recommend one full rest day per week). Make sure that you are stretching after all workouts (even cardio) and make sure that you are staying well hydrated.

Hope this helps!!

i never heard that about abs or calves before. these ellipticals dont do angles. the treadmills do. they just increase resistance. and i do a fat burning HR monitor and wear a chest strap so it adjust resistance automatically to keep my heart rate in the certain range.
    I was just confused if its ok to keep doing cardio even when sore with no damage done im fine with it. doesnt hurt after 2 min anyways just hurts later on lol
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    you lost me at the same muscle group two days in a row.....I never knew this!

yea like if you work chest muscles you should wait 48 hrs to give the muscle some recovery time. if you dont let it recover you can cause more damage than good. i never heard of the abs and calves exception
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Hi Fearless Rob!

Hope this helps!!

i never heard that about abs or calves before. these ellipticals dont do angles. the treadmills do. they just increase resistance. and i do a fat burning HR monitor and wear a chest strap so it adjust resistance automatically to keep my heart rate in the certain range.
    I was just confused if its ok to keep doing cardio even when sore with no damage done im fine with it. doesnt hurt after 2 min anyways just hurts later on lol
    Yeah, if you're sore you can still do cardio with no problem. Some people say it relieves their soreness. You can also work the same muscle group the next day to relieve soreness by dropping the weight and doing a few sets.
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    Hi Fearless Rob!

Hope this helps!!

Yeah, if you're sore you can still do cardio with no problem. Some people say it relieves their soreness. You can also work the same muscle group the next day to relieve soreness by dropping the weight and doing a few sets.

I dont understand how you can drop the weight or sets on an elliptical?? lmao
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Hi Fearless Rob!

Hope this helps!!

You cando cardio but also lift, just lighter and less volume than usual.
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    Hi Fearless Rob!

Hope this helps!!

You cando cardio but also lift, just lighter and less volume than usual.

This hood/gangsta girl is right. II would like to add, depends how much cardio are you doing? I just do 10min warm up with cardio, lift weights, then 10minutes after my weights... and call it a day. But you're also right, you may want to skip a body part if it's sore. Runners(long distance runners) usually don't work their legs that much with weights, because they're constantly working them when running.

well day 4 in a row im trying it out there being less sore every day so thats a plus.
    i do 40 min of cardio but if its a work out day then 30 min work out after
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    The good news is that you don't get sore forever. Once you stick with a routine for a while you stop getting sore.