Is this too much food?

Options
I ate 285g of scallops (I think thats around 10z) with some boiled veg and 2 cups of green tea. I feel quite sick right now and really full. Is this a very big portion? I eat with family and I dont want them to be suspicious if I am on a diet because I generally don't really like too much attention to my eating or anything. That's why I cant just boil myself some veg for lunch and end it there.
But back to the question - is 285g of scallops too much?

I am 18yrs old, 53.5kg(118lbs) and 168cm(5ft6). I would prefer to weigh around 50kg

EDIT: ok, don't focus on my goal weight or whether i am underweight or overweight or what i am. Just whether for that weight (regardless of whether it is under- or over- weight) that portion is too big

Replies

• SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the person...You mean like 10 oz in one sitting? Personally I think that's too much (I know it would be too much for me.) I'd eat about 4-5 oz of scallops and maybe half a cup to a cup of veggies and call it a meal.

However, if you're going to eat less later to make up for said big meal, then it's not so bad I guess.
  • skinnylikekitkat
    Options
    Yes, this was in one sitting.

My dad went out to the supermarket to buy some food and everyone else in my family was having sausages (higher fat than scallops) so I said I would prefer him to buy me scallops instead. So he bought like 10oz and I asked if that was for someone else as well as me but he was like "For a girl like you? 10oz, that's like nothing, trust me! You need it, you're young"

I am 18, 53.5kg(118lbs) and 168cm(5ft6). I would prefer to weigh around 50kg
  • kohldawg9
    kohldawg9 Posts: 13
    Options
    If you're full it's too much. Eat til your satsified, not until you're in agony lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I ate 285g of scallops (I think thats around 10z) with some boiled veg and 2 cups of green tea. I feel quite sick right now and really full. Is this a very big portion? I eat with family and I dont want them to be suspicious if I am on a diet because I generally don't really like too much attention to my eating or anything. That's why I cant just boil myself some veg for lunch and end it there.

Not a very big portion at all
  • skinnylikekitkat
    Options
    kohldawg9, The problem is that I drink tea so I don't know if I am "full" with water or because I overate...
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    sounds like a normal potion to me
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    10oz of whatever my protein is, in one sitting, seems like a lot to ME... but really its all about total calories consumed so, if you enjoy eating that quantity at once, and it fits into your goals, then go for it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Those scallops were only about 250 calories (unless you fried them or prepared them with butter). Boiled vegetables probably aren't many calories either. Personally, that doesn't sound like very much food at all to me!

Dinner for me is usually 700-1000 calories. I'd just be getting started with the scallops and vegetables!

Also... 50kg - about 110 pounds - seems very slight for someone who is 5'6". I'm pretty sure you'd be clinically underweight at 50kg.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I am 18yrs old, 53.5kg(118lbs) and 168cm(5ft6). I would prefer to weigh around 50kg

never mind the food (which isnt too much by the way), you're 5ft6 and want to lose weight when you weigh 118lbs?
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My No 1 rule of healthy eating.

If you think you are hungry, have a glass of water
    If you still think you are hungry after 10 minutes, have something to eat
    Take your time with your meal, don't wolf it down, give your stomach and brain time to communicate
    When you feel full, stop eating, it's perfectly ok to leave food on your plate, if you're OCD about wasting food, nothing stopping you from putting it in the fridge for later.
    If you start feeling hungry again have a glass of water, repeat the process.

Try and cut down on caffeine if you feel it's messing up your signals. If you don't like plain water then add a slice or two of fresh lemon or lime.
  • CEThornton
    CEThornton Posts: 45
    Options
    Those scallops were only about 250 calories (unless you fried them or prepared them with butter). Boiled vegetables probably aren't many calories either. Personally, that doesn't sound like very much food at all to me!

Dinner for me is usually 700-1000 calories. I'd just be getting started with the scallops and vegetables!

Also... 50kg - about 110 pounds - seems very slight for someone who is 5'6". I'm pretty sure you'd be clinically underweight at 50kg.

50kg and 5'6" is clinically underweight and only calculates to a BMI of less than 18... (17.8) Unless you're kate moss i suggest you focus on being healthy... and stay away from more extreme measures.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    uhh...
    no one noticed the OP is already at the low end of normal weight and aspires to be underweight?

not to mention "hiding" her weight loss intentions from her family.

this is either a TROLLING post or a indication of a nascent eating disorder IMO.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    lol
    and now everyone posted the same thing about her weight.
  • skinnylikekitkat
    Options
    Don't worry about whether I am under or over weight, the question is only whether that portion is too big for that weight
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Don't worry about whether I am under or over weight, the question is only whether that portion is too big for that weight

of course the fact that you want to be underweight is important!!!!
  • skinnylikekitkat
    Options
    1) I am not currently underweight and there is no guarantee I ever will be.
    2) None of you here are getting any benefit from my weight, and nobody on here apart from me is affected by it. Therefore please don't be so concerned with it. I can understand you are doing it because you want to help but that help will be unappreciated. The only help that I would really like if anyone can give it, and that I would appreciate, is to answer the question of whether you think this portion is too big or normal. So there isn't any point in judging my weight because I am not asking for that. I am asking to judge the portion in relation to weight.

Thank in advance!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Fine then. To answer your question: nothing is too big a portion at your weight/considering your goals.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Fine then. To answer your question: nothing is too big a portion at your weight/considering your goals.

good answer!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Being a few lbs underweight according to the BMI scale is not a big deal. IDK why everyone freaks out over this.
  • skinnylikekitkat
    Options
    Being a few lbs underweight according to the BMI scale is not a big deal. IDK why everyone freaks out over this.

Thank you!
    Consider this: Olympic athlete in boxing and me, both women, both 18, same height. Should we weigh the same?
    Or this: my mum and me are the same height. She has had 2 children and is 56. Should we weigh the same?