Did I ruin this for myself? Please help!

Options
Question
I need help with weight loss, please!?
In really confused and nervous idk what to do. Let me start with the beginning. I am 20 years old and 5'2. I used to weight 140 over last year I exercised and dieted my way down to 115 once I got to 115 I was so excited and started eating less and less to lose weight faster. Some days not even eating. I actually ended up getting to 109.
But after Easter this year I started bingeing a lot and gained back 15lbs. I would really like to get back to 110 because it was comfortable. But I have some concerns... Did I permanently damage my metabolism? How many calories should I eat a day? How much should I burn exercising, and how much should I exercise? And I just want everyone to know I work out 6 days a week for a hour. Threw all of this I have continued to exercise. I just need some advice and help. Can someone please be willing to give me advice? Thank you!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is fine. It's definitely a balancing act to keep the weight off, especially since you want to be at the lower end of a healthy weight range. Most people's bodies hold onto weight pretty naturally. As long as your previous way of dieting was healthy, just do that again and the weight should come off.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    No
    Around 2154
    The amount you burn is up to you, but you should eat those cals back.
  • True_Believer92
    Options
    2154 seems like a lot to lose weight... I'm trying o get back to 110 by my 21st birthday. That's in November so I have some time... But that seems like a lot of calories? Thank you though!
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 years old, 114lb 5'2 and maintain on 2300, but I'm also pretty active naturally.
    I think 1700 would be good if you walked 30 minutes a day, started C25K and strength trained 3 times a week. I used to be 109 but I started lifting and went up to 114, my waist went from 28" to 26.5" even though I gained 5lb. :wink: Dat muscle.
  • True_Believer92
    Options
    My plan is to lose weight then start lifting. So I can be somewhat defined. But losing is the hard part and I'm a little nervous about not being able to lose
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You don't need to wait until all the excess fat is gone in order to start lifting! Lifting increases your muscle which speeds up your metabolism, meaning you'd lose the fat even quicker if you started to lift. :)
  • KatieBee8
    KatieBee8 Posts: 61
    Options
    If you're exercising 6 times a week and you only have a small amount to lose, then I think you'd lose on 1500-1600 calories a day.

We're a similar height and I had a more drastic version of your story. I lost 3 stone in 2009 and gained it all back, plus another lovely stone!! :noway: I'm back on it now though and almost halfway to my goal. I'm eating 1400-1600 and exercising 4 times a week.

Don't worry, your metabolism isn't 'ruined'. It's normal for our weight to fluctuate and you'll be able to lose weight, just as you've managed to gain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My plan is to lose weight then start lifting. So I can be somewhat defined. But losing is the hard part and I'm a little nervous about not being able to lose

ditch the scales, start lifting to lose bodyfat and you will be a lot happier with the outcome!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Question
    I need help with weight loss, please!?
    In really confused and nervous idk what to do. Let me start with the beginning. I am 20 years old and 5'2. I used to weight 140 over last year I exercised and dieted my way down to 115 once I got to 115 I was so excited and started eating less and less to lose weight faster. Some days not even eating. I actually ended up getting to 109.
    But after Easter this year I started bingeing a lot and gained back 15lbs. I would really like to get back to 110 because it was comfortable. But I have some concerns... Did I permanently damage my metabolism? How many calories should I eat a day? How much should I burn exercising, and how much should I exercise? And I just want everyone to know I work out 6 days a week for a hour. Threw all of this I have continued to exercise. I just need some advice and help. Can someone please be willing to give me advice? Thank you!
    I am 42 years old, 5' 3" tall and currently weigh a lovely 109. I got a FitBit Flex to help me figure out how many calories I was burning on average each day.

My BRM is just over 1250 which is what I have my diary goal set to and then I eat back my exercise calories. *I* currently eat an average of 1425 calories (my diary is wide open) and burn an average of around 1650 each day. Since I recently hit my goal weight, I am slowly easing my calorie consumption up to my TDEE which is approximately 1475 (depending on activities of the day).

I strength train - at my desk. I have a sedentary desk job, and 5 pound weights at my desk. I will do a few reps here and there throughout the day as my main exercise, along with squats and walking the five flights of stairs up and down to get to my 5th floor desk. That's all. I don't tend to do a lot of cardio, though if I have stress I need to work off, I will walk for 20 minutes or do a Sprint 8 on my treadmill.

It's tough to permanently damage your metabolism, so you'll be fine. Lots of protein, good fats, lower on the carbs. Eat healthy and it'll work. You've been there. You know this. Now practice it. :)
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is fine. It's definitely a balancing act to keep the weight off, especially since you want to be at the lower end of a healthy weight range. Most people's bodies hold onto weight pretty naturally. As long as your previous way of dieting was healthy, just do that again and the weight should come off.

I'm sorry, but did you miss the "not eating for days" part?

Honestly, I think you'll be fine metabolism wise, but maybe you should look into some sort of nutritionist or therapeutic help.. you already know that not eating and the bingeing isn't healthy but it worked, so the temptation to do that again is there. I have first hand experience with this, witnessing someone I was very close to do this to herself. I'm not trying to be mean, I just want you to be as healthy as you can :flowerforyou:
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    First, you MUST eat daily. Your body needs fuel. When you start a cycle where you don't eat at all your body will try to store everything you do give it because it is afraid it won't get fed again.

Second, muscle burns fat - so, as you are losing, it is good to start building muscle - I am not talking about bulk, but muscle. If you want to know the correct methods I would say check out Chalene Johnson's system Chalene Extreme - it costs about $150 on Beach body. If you are going to do any of this do it right.

Third, if you want to eat something not on your plan do it, but in moderation.

And finally, you need to find out what calorie point works for your body. For me it is 1200 + half of my workout calories. If I don't work out I only get my 1200 calories, if I burn 500 calories I get 1450. Do what works for you. But also talk to your doctor about your ideal weight. 110 sounds tiny but if medically it is good for you then do what is right for you!

Good Luck
  • True_Believer92
    Options
    okay my biggest concern was that I ruined my metabolism. I work as a waitress and at a daycare. So i'm guessing 1200 calories is too low. I don't know how much I burn each day. I've done those online calcs but they all give me differen't answers. I guess its scary. because its a long road and its easy to mess up. none of my clothes fit and its horrible, i don't wear my clothes tight to began with so... now that they are it stinks. I know I can do this. I guess I'm just scared that I'll try really hard and not lose anything.
  • True_Believer92
    Options
    thank you :). the most I didn't eat for was two days, and then i couldn't do it any more. then I would eat a low amount the next week then not eat again. its hard, I work at a gym as a daycare teacher, so I can get free nutritionist help there!
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    First, relax--you haven't messed up your metabolism, and if you stress too much about "messing up" you're going to psych yourself out.

I'm 5'6" and I maintain around 1600 calories a day plus I eat back my exercise calories. There are more scientific ways to figure out what your maintenance calories are, but I'd suggest starting somewhere around 1500-1600 calories a day plus what you burn through exercise and see what happens--if you lose, great, if not, lower your calories a bit. Just don't go too low or you risk falling back into the binging trap (I've been there, and it's a vicious cycle). For exercise, I think an hour a day 6 times a week is about perfect. Do what you like and will stick with, but you'll get the best results from weight lifting and intervals.
  • True_Believer92
    Options
    First, relax--you haven't messed up your metabolism, and if you stress too much about "messing up" you're going to psych yourself out.

I'm 5'6" and I maintain around 1600 calories a day plus I eat back my exercise calories. There are more scientific ways to figure out what your maintenance calories are, but I'd suggest starting somewhere around 1500-1600 calories a day plus what you burn through exercise and see what happens--if you lose, great, if not, lower your calories a bit. Just don't go too low or you risk falling back into the binging trap (I've been there, and it's a vicious cycle). For exercise, I think an hour a day 6 times a week is about perfect. Do what you like and will stick with, but you'll get the best results from weight lifting and intervals.

I just hear so much about people ruining their metabolisms it seems like its so easy to do it.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I plugged your numbers into Scooby's calorie calculator.

This is what it gave me at moderately active:

BMR - 1385 (read - don't eat lower than this!)
    TDEE - 2148 (read - eat this amount to maintain)
    -10% - 1933 (this is what you eat to lose nice and slow - and you can lift at the same time! - you'll have lots of energy, lose inches.. feel great, and lose weight!!)
  • True_Believer92
    Options

-10% - 1933 (this is what you eat to lose nice and slow - and you can lift at the same time! - you'll have lots of energy, lose inches.. feel great, and lose weight!!)
    And with his calc I don't eat back exercise calories right?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

That's right. The calculations were done with activity level in mind (moderately active), so if you want to log your exercise, change the calorie burn to 1, as to not change any goals. Happy eating! hahaha

Now, the way I transitioned from 1300 to 1800 was I gradually added in 100 cals a day over a week, then another 100 over a week, until I got to 1800. It was scary, but not so bad when I got there! Just avoid the scale a bit as you are transitioning - if you've been eating low calories for a while, your body will scream "YAY FOOD!!" and you may gain a little.. but it will be temporary!!
  • True_Believer92
    Options

That's right. The calculations were done with activity level in mind (moderately active), so if you want to log your exercise, change the calorie burn to 1, as to not change any goals. Happy eating! hahaha

Now, the way I transitioned from 1300 to 1800 was I gradually added in 100 cals a day over a week, then another 100 over a week, until I got to 1800. It was scary, but not so bad when I got there! Just avoid the scale a bit as you are transitioning - if you've been eating low calories for a while, your body will scream "YAY FOOD!!" and you may gain a little.. but it will be temporary!!

wow the amount you lost is inspiring. do you think by doing this i could get to my goal by my birthday? its november 3rd. and is this how you lost weight?
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would put your activity level as high with the two jobs you have. The way I look at it is that I don't care how fast the weight is coming off, if I can lose at a higher calorie level, but maybe more slowly, I'm going to go with the higher level. Your body will adjust to whatever the amount of fuel you are giving it. If you are consistently eating too low for your activity level it will adjust to preserve energy for necessary body functions. If you enter your numbers in to a calculator as active and that number seems high enough to make you gain weight I would say that you may have done some metabolic damage. If you are maintaining at those numbers I would say you are fine.

I lost weight starting in here following MFP guidelines but I entered my activity as sedentary and that I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week. That gave me about 1600 cals a day plus eating back my exercise cals. I actually was losing weight faster than 2 lbs a week, which I now know means I estimated my daily activity too low. At the time I was thrilled and every time I lost 10 lbs MFP suggested I lower my cals. In a couple months my cals were around 1400. I started to feel tired and hungry a lot. My hair started to fall out and my weight loss slowed to almost nothing even though my workouts increased. Two months of that was enough for me. I upped my cals to back over 1600 and started to feel my energy come back. In a month I started to feel hungry a lot again and I upped my cals again to over 1700. I also started keeping better track of my protein and iron, eating a minimum of 100 grams of protein a day. My hair stopped falling out and began growing back.

It's a long story but I have continued to up my cals when I listen to what my body is telling me. Your body will tell you what it needs if you listen to it. I now eat 2000-2500 cals a day and continue to lose. I have been losing much more slowly. Maybe 1-2 lbs a month but I am losing inches. I think that is due to starting a heavy lifting program about 3 months back. I can't recommend weight lifting enough. I took my month of May pics last week and was totally stoked to see a big difference in my stomach compared to the month before even though my weight stayed the same. I'm ok with that.

Sorry this is so long. I have just become a passionate advocate for properly fueling our bodies. It makes me sad to see so many stuck in the diet cycle.