Weight Watchers

Options
What is every ones take on WW? I am thinking of joining but not to sure?

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    bump.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its basically caloring counting you pay for, so I have never been into it
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't like it. It's all common sense to me.. and it's free on here. Plus you get better support here as well. I did it for 2 months, and couldnt get used to the "points" I'd rather count the real calories.

Pretty much the same concept as MFP tho.
  • chacha79
    chacha79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. But it is more complex since you have to figure out points. I find it a lot easier to count calories. You can look at the back of the box and instantly know how many calories... but with points you have to have your slider and figure in your fat and fiber... bah!

For me personally, I rather count calories for free than to count points for $40 a month... more if you want to use the online tools.
  • Donnarama
    Options
    I really did well and loved the program when I did it several years ago. I tried again while going through menopause and did not have great results. If you are a younger person before going through menopause I highly recommend the WW program. You can eat just about anything (portion control) and you make better choices because you can eat a little more calories if the food is higher in fiber. WW and Lean Cuisine have some great frozen meals that I often took to work for lunch. This made it easy to control portions. Most vegetables are free (eat as much as you want). Starchy veggies are not free, but a 3 oz potato is only 1 point and very satisfying with low cal butter. Land O Lakes has a great one. WW has wonderful desserts. Chocolate Fudge cake is now 4 points, but I think is better than many regular chocolate cakes I have eaten. I really enjoy the meetings too. Great recipes and suggestions on new foods and so on. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.
  • KatieKlotz
    KatieKlotz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've done WW and loved it. But, to be honest, this website does the same thing for you and it's FREE. As far as the 'points' program that they have, I calculated it out and my allowance on this site equals the number of 'points' I would be allowed on WW. I would recommend using their reicpes, as they fit nicely into MFP's daily goals - but there's no reason to pay for something you can get for free.

Hope that helps!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My co-worker has done weight watchers on and off for the last several years. When I showed her MFP, she signed up and said, "I can't believe this is free! This is what Weight Watchers charges me for!" She's no longer on WW.
  • MickeyLeigh
    Options
    I agree. I did WW but not online and I paid about $40.00 and although it helped I have to admit after awhile it got a little tedious worrying about the points. I rather log onto here and put my meals in. A lot easier and more fun.

A friend of mine did the WW online and paid $100.00. And like another poster said...it's all common sense really.
  • SunShineBeastess
    SunShineBeastess Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree with the the same # of recomended calories on MFP is equal to the WW points allowance per day...and about 100 calories == 1 point...The only difference is you have to actually to there and weigh in (be accountable). But if you can stay encoraged on here I would recommend FREE
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    I have lost (and gained back) many pounds over the years with WW. I am actually a Lifetime member. While
    I loved the program and the support, MFP is much better:

1) MFP is free ...thanks to the paid advertisers on this site. YESSSSS! The horrid donut ones, too!

2) MFP's support is 24/7. I don't have to wait for a meeting for support

3) Yes the POINTS system is cool, but it is much easier to count calories, and MFP has the tools and data base of foods to make it SIMPLE for me

4) There is an exercise diary and food diary to keep track

5) You will make some of the NICEST friends on this site. I know I have!!

6) You can weigh yourself in the privacy of your own home (naked) and you can stay in your jammies all day if you want to and log in your progress.

7) There will be so many MFP members that will DAZZLE you with their accomplishments (exercise, diet, food suggestions, recipes, and goals)

8) You WILL be a source of support for someone else, as much as someone is to you. You get what you give. And believe me, there is more to get around here!

9) You will have so much motivation that you will WANT to succeed!

10) Judgment free zone!!!

11) It's just like Facebook, but with diet, exercise and motivation!! You can 'friend' people and they can 'friend' you!

Any more questions? Don't hesitate to ask any one of us!
    So, save your money every week, do it here, and put the money toward your reward for making goal...because it WILL happen!

:flowerforyou:
  • tjbeer
    tjbeer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have done WW and lost 70lbs. And I have kept it off for 5 years. I now do WW and MFP side by side just to boost my last 10lbs to loose.

No one weight loss plan is better than the other, it's whatever works for you and whatever one you can stick at. It is worth giving it a go but MFP basically is like WW but without the point counting, instead it is calorie counting. You have to record a food diary on both and log in your exercise. WW is so not difficult to do but I does cost money. Counting points is easy and becomes part of everyday life. I bet you I could tell you the amount of points of any food just of the top of my head.....so it definately is a life change!!!!

Tx
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have joined weight watchers and TOPS and lost weight with both, Weigh watchers was a bit more stress working out points and such. Tops is much cheaper and using my Tops group as support once a week, paired with this site has been fantastic for me.
    Cost wise I would say that TOPS is less than half the cost of weight watchers.
    Try a few groups before you join one though, some are very good and some are not!
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am a lifteime member of WW and a 2 month user of MFP. I did really well on WW - group support, weekly accountability - that all helped me before. But now, I find counting calories is so much easier. It suits my lifestyle much better .. and this is by far, the BEST site I have ever used. The people are amazing, knowledgeble and always accessible. I think you will succeed no matter which you chose - as long as you are ready to start the trip to better health. If you join us, we will help you along the way. Good luck.
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers, I liked it. But for me a program that just counts calories makes more sense. It's easier for me to "see" what I should and shouldn't eat. I ALWAYS cheated on WW, because I didn't equate those points to real food. It was easier to cheat and fool myself.

Basically it's the same program= eat right, count calories or points, get some exercise, be honest and start loosing weight.

It just depends on how you want to do it, what makes sense to you. What makes you feel internally as if you will stick to it.
  • sagesitter
    Options
    I have done WW twice and it works. The cost is the factor for me now so this free site is great and does the same thing as WW for me. The best part it is like going to the meeting everyday.....I love this site. I figure with the money I save by not going to WW I can have a pedi or mani with those coins. The prospect of that treat is more appealing than giving it to WW. it all works just takes persistance. Good luck on your choices.
  • volliegrl
    Options
    Thanks every one I am going to go see what WW has to offer me and take it from there, wish me luck!
  • Callmefia
    Options
    I joined WW online about 10 weeks ago and am down 14 lbs. I really like it!

I really like MFP but I like the structure and accountability of WW. I was not consistently logging into and tracking on MFP so I wasn't losing. It dropped me to 1200 cals and that just wasn't working for me.

I paid for WW so I'm trying harder and I have to log my foods and track my healthy choices (This is part of the plan, not just point counting, but eating the correct servings of things like fruit/veggies etc...). There are LOTS of recipes on the website with points values and the message boards there are comparable to the ones here. (I LOVE to try new recipes so I really like the recipe search!)

Also, with the whole points thing, they won't set you at 1200 calories and keep you there the whole time. Every 10 pounds you lose a point so you don't cut back instantly and starve. Its gradual and that teaches you to manage your foods and healthy choices. Few people plateau on the plan from what I've read, and I think its because you work your way down gradually therefore your body doesn't "get used" to eating 1200 calories and slow down.

I know a lot of people say why pay for WW when MFP is free, but there ARE differences. :)

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Also 100 cals does NOT equal 1 pt. It varies. Points are not based on calories alone.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go to weight watchers to follow their program, but it sure helps to go to the meetings. You learn alot from the leader and other members.

There is a lots of information online about weight watchers and the point system that is free. I got the following information from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080906124206AAFmduY

How to figure out how many weight watcher points you get: Put and x by whats pertains to you then add up your points.

1. Are you:
    Female....2 points
    Male........8 points
    A nursing mom.......12 points

2. How old are you?
    17-26.....4 points
    27-37.....3 points
    38-47.....2 points
    48-58.....1 point
    over 58.....0 points

3. What do you weight?
    Enter the FIRST 2 DIGITS of your weight in pounds example 175 = 17 points.

4. How tall are you?
    Under 5'1''.......0 points
    5'1''-5'10''.........1 point
    over 5'10''........2 points

5. How do you spend more of your day?
    Sitting down..........................0 points
    Occasionally sitting, but mainly standing........2 points
    Walking most of the time................4 points
    Doing hard physical work.......6 points.

This gives you your daily points allowance. You also get a weekly point allowance of 35 points which can be used all at once, or spread them out over the week Note: As you lose weight you have to redo the point quiz and recalculate your daily point allowance.

I use the "Today's Food Notes" at the bottom of the food page to record my points and I use this online calculator
    http://www.meganandjack.com/points_calculator.htm to figure out my points for each meal or snack.

You can find lots of good information at the following website: http://www.stormpc.com/ww/

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck on your journey to a healthier you.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Weight Watchers did not allow me to track individual nutrients like protein, fat, fiber and calcium the way MFP does. Calories are easier to count than points, also. I like this site much better.

@ODonna - that should be an ad for this site - or at the very least placed in the "posts you want to read again and again" section. Great job!
  • volliegrl
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I did end up joining and going to give it a go for 6 weeks and we will see how it works out. I am hoping in six weeks to at least have lost 12-15 lbs or more so we will see how it goes, i will keep you all posted. I plan to hope to use this site as well, if I can find the time too, as having a 8 month old consumes alot of my time lately lol!
    cheers Laurie