Weekly weigh-in & I lost zilch. Ugh!

Options
Ok, so I weighed in this morning & the scale has not moved & I feel my eating habits were better than other Weeks. Im not giving up just need some encouragement, feedback, suggestions. Help :-/

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It happens. Don't get discouraged. Weight loss is not linear and most likely will not go down every week. Make sure you are eating enough, working out, getting your water, limiting your sodium and ensure you switch things up now and again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, it's a general trend over time. You will have weeks where you lose more...weeks where you lose less...weeks where you don't lose anything...weeks that you may actually go up a bit due to water retention or hormones or whatever.

You need to take a much longer and broader view and observe long term trends rather than obsessing about the day to day and week to week or you're going to drive yourself crazy.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I lost 3lbs 2 weeks ago, and havent lost the monday just gone. Some weeks il lose 1lb every week, then il lose 2-3lbs and not lose for 2-3 weeks. I agreee its not a linear thing, your body doesnt think "oh its been a week, il let go of this lb"
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options
    I log my weight every single day. It's a zig-zaggy line, and I get to see where it's "trending", rather than focusing on a single snapshot of it. If one Friday is a valley and the next is a peak, but over all I'm zig-zagging in a downhill direction, that's much more encouraging for me than if I had only those two Fridays plotted on my graph... which would most likely look like I'd gained!

I'm kind of a mathy-thinker, so my feeling is always "the more data, the better the picture."

See also: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20051118/daily-weigh-in-may-help-dieters-lose
  • SisterSinBin
    Options
    Bright side...you DIDN'T gain this week! :) It will come off. Just don't give up!
  • NaturalBrownChic
    Options
    Thanks everyone-ok now I see I have to look at this weightloss thing more than one-dimensional. :-)
  • NaturalBrownChic
    Options
    Ur so right :happy:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating but it's how it works. I lost pretty well the first couple months, then it started yoyoing a bit. Typically I lose 5-7lbs in 10 days then nothing in 2-3 weeks, I might even gain back a little in the meantime.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I log my weight every single day. It's a zig-zaggy line, and I get to see where it's "trending", rather than focusing on a single snapshot of it. If one Friday is a valley and the next is a peak, but over all I'm zig-zagging in a downhill direction, that's much more encouraging for me than if I had only those two Fridays plotted on my graph... which would most likely look like I'd gained!

I'm kind of a mathy-thinker, so my feeling is always "the more data, the better the picture."

See also: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20051118/daily-weigh-in-may-help-dieters-lose

This describes me pretty accurately. I see a lot of these threads about how often to weigh and it is mostly personal preference, but I feel like those of us that get a lot of data points are more aware of where we are. On most days I weigh the least first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before consuming anything. But that isn't always so and some days I weigh more than the previous day even though I am sure I had a calorie deficit. It doesn't bother me because I see that bouncing around but trending down. If I only checked once a week and one week saw what happened to be toward the low side of the current reading range and the next week happened to be toward the high end, I might think there was no progress or even a gain. If you would obsess and keep trying things and weighing again, then it would be bad to weigh often.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Patience...start learning patience. As long as the trend is down (or at least not up), it's all good.