Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

list of MONSANTO GMO companies

Replies

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    I'm unaware of any ethics issues with the company.

Monsanto is widely regarded as one of the most 'evil' corporations on the planet by those paying attention. just because you haven't researched it doesn't make it false. they have done some awful, awful things, all widely verifiable.

wrong.

laughably wrong. :laugh:

http://www.troymedia.com/2013/03/06/the-junk-science-clowns-behind-the-gmo-scare/

Laughable evidence. Machughen's research is funded by ACSH which is funded by private biotech firms.

http://www.acsh.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/20040401_Biotechnology2000.pdf
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    If you care about what you put into your system being as wholesome as possible, You should look at this list, if not, just consider me a guy with tin foil hat.
    monsanto_companies.jpg

Genetic engineering has been around for centuries. Centuries. Hundreds of years. Monks and other well-wishers making anything from wine to olive oil to petunias. Genetic engineering, by itself, is hardly the evil you sell it to be. It would be different if you could back it up with an ounce of research saying how that wine/olive oil/petunia is worse for me than one that hasn't been genetically modified, but you don't.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    bump
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    To the original poster -- you do understand that everything you eat has been genetically modified over the last 2000 years or so of farming and domestication don't you? Or perhaps its just "evil" corporations that you dislike.

As you said tinfoil meet head -- head meet tinfoil.

There's a big difference between selective breeding vs. intentionally swapping out strands of DNA containing genes completely foreign to the species using bacterial vectors. Just FYI.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I don't eat much in the way of processed food. It isn't that I think GMOs are inherently unwholesome, just that the only thing you're likely to buy in the produce aisle that would be a GMO is a papaya.
  • rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    I buy organic, no GMO products because I live in an area where they are readily available. While I don't suggest buying $6 raspberries I do suggest buying more affordable produce that isn't covered in poison. It's out there!
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    One word: PROPAGANDA

That is all.

Carry on.....
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Hmmm, so, Monsanto shouldn't license and protect the seeds that it spends billions developing?

Let's be honest, most of us are privileged enough to be able to buy from the supermarket or organic market and meet our nutrient needs. There are people in developing countries who are malnourished and would really benefit from GM food. Read up on Golden Rice. It's rice that has been genetically modified to produce beta carotene (pro vit A) in an effort to correct deficiencies in children in some countries.

There are many benefits to GM technology that rarely get publicised....just the propaganda.

Here's a nice opinion piece worth reading.
    http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v2/n4/full/embor436.html
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Through breeding, one can always breed back to the original specimen.
    You can't breed back from an F1 Hybrid, can you ? How many mules and generations would you need to make a horse and a donkey ;-)

In 1960, 99 percent of all corn planted in the United States, 95 percent of sugar beet, 80 percent of spinach, 80 percent of sunflowers, 62 percent of broccoli, and 60 percent of onions were hybrid. Genetic combinations have been around a long time.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I'm sure the real list of companies that use monsanto products is much longer.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    If you care about what you put into your system being as wholesome as possible, You should look at this list, if not, just consider me a guy with tin foil hat.
    monsanto_companies.jpg

Genetic engineering has been around for centuries. Centuries. Hundreds of years. Monks and other well-wishers making anything from wine to olive oil to petunias. Genetic engineering, by itself, is hardly the evil you sell it to be. It would be different if you could back it up with an ounce of research saying how that wine/olive oil/petunia is worse for me than one that hasn't been genetically modified, but you don't.
    DNA splicing hundreds of years ago....wow, I didn't know that. :wink:
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Actually, farmers don't always have a choice. Monsanto is suing farmers for having their GM product, even though the farmers didn't plant it (transfered via wind, bees, etc.). There is a documentary on Netflix, called Food, Inc which talks about this.

I have no issues with GM products that are clearly labeled. But Monsanto is against this because then we'd see that our corn may be modified with fish genes, etc. People with food allergies have no idea what they are putting into their bodies.

I'd like to see if anyone could link the increase in genetically modified food to the increase in food allergies, the decline in bee population, etc.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Monsanto sucks! They are ruining our food supply and killing people. Small farmers are being forced out of business, those in India are drinking 'Round-Up' to have their suicides shown as a stand against Monsanto even.

LOL...those people be dumb!

wow, really? Those people are living in an extremely poor country trying to do their best to survive. I'm sure you know all about 3rd world problems though. Why don't you go research their plight on your Iphone.

I've spent time in India - the high rate of sucide predates Monsanto crops in the country and is related to crop failures and high debt and the govt failure to provide sufficient support during lean years particularly in the region of Andhara Pradesh.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member

Interestingly I am gluten-sensitive and the majority of those brands and products they make - I can't eat hardly anything made by those brands..... they make me sick. For real.

Ironically, GMO wheat is not on the market. Wheat became higher in gluten through good old fashioned hybridization and selective breeding.
  • jemmers6
    jemmers6 Posts: 11 Member
    Through breeding, one can always breed back to the original specimen.
    You can't breed back from an F1 Hybrid, can you ? How many mules and generations would you need to make a horse and a donkey ;-)

You're absolutely right. Many hybrids cannot be bred back because the result is sterile. Monsanto isn't breeding - hybrids or otherwise. They are creating a new species using bits of DNA from other organisms.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm still on the fence regarding GMOs. I simply wanted to point out the difference between breeding and genetically modifying an organism by splicing in DNA from other organisms, some not even closely related. Breeding allows a natural selection and combination of DNA already present in the parent organism. GMO is a selection and combination of DNA from a wide variety of sources that would never combine in the real world.
  • Revas83
    Revas83 Posts: 6
    Yep disgusting. Gotta watch what you buy these days!

Alternatives I've found:

-Earth Balance is non GMO. I use their butter
    -Silk
    -Amy's frozen dinners and canned soup
  • JMfan
    JMfan Posts: 20 Member
    Unilever? All I can think about is taking a big bite of soap. :/ Does Unilever make food items?
    Unilever foods:
    Klondike bars
    Wishbone (salad dressings)
    Promise
    Breyers
    Ben & Jerry's
    Bertolli (Olive Oil)
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
    Ragu

good thing is Ben and Jerrys just made a commitment to cut out GMO stuff in their products. so..YAY Ice Cream and Fat!!
  • IzzyM210
    IzzyM210 Posts: 54 Member
    Cadbury!! Ohh nooooooo
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    My problem with Monsanto is not the GMO foods, but the fact that they are killing local farmers.

If the government keeps up their alliance with Monsato, there will eventually be no more famrers, just a centralized US farm company called Monsato.. :explode:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Good thing I only smoke phillip morris products!!
    And they should be forgiven for trying to extend the food supply.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: