Anti Wheat?

Options

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    So from what I've read about it now and a few opinions it seems some people are almost naturally allergic to it. Like they can't digest it properly or something.

As to cutting wheat for weight loss. Don't really care about that. My main concern was overall health. If I'm being so good and tracking my food and trying to be as healthy as possible I want to eat as healthy as possible.

So the down sides I've been messaged about and read about are as follows:
    Wheat contains gliatin which will cause you to have hunger cravings and is addictive
    Wheat will give some people bloating. cramps, other misc digestive problems
    Wheat will spike your blood sugar therefore cravings again.

So I guess it's more of a control issue for some and a type of lactose intolerance for others.

Paleo people will tell you it is evil, IIFYM people will say it is great.
    Listen to your body and do what you think is best. Truth is, there isn't really enough hard data (that we've seen) to support either side.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Beware of the box of death:
    gluten.jpg

They should put warnings on the box, just like cigarettes....
  • bearcrusher
    Options
    Beware of the box of death:
    They should put warnings on the box, just like cigarettes....

I almost spit out my lunch. lol
  • waldo56
    Options
    Truth is, there isn't really enough hard data (that we've seen) to support either side.

LOLwut?

Bit of a false dichotomy there.

Humans have eaten wheat for thousands of years and it has been a staple in many areas for that long. There is a small faction of the health food/diet community claiming it might not be good for you in a very first world problem kind of way. Only one side need concern themselves with research and hard data. The other side is a basic facet of human society that goes back hundreds of generations; arguing against wheat consumption is a bit like arguing against writing on the basis of it being an unhealthy form of idea expression.
  • neekosmith
    neekosmith Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have to say, wheat was one of the hardest "food addictions" to give up. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease so I knew medically it was destroying me but I couldn't stop eating it. So I can see how some say it is addictive. I am a couple months clean now & feel 100x better.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Truth is, there isn't really enough hard data (that we've seen) to support either side.

LOLwut?

Humans have eaten wheat for thousands of years and it has been a staple in many areas for that long. There is a small faction of the health food/diet community claiming it might not be good for you in a very first world problem kind of way. Only one side need concern themselves with research and hard data.

I think it's a bit unfair to call Celiac a first world problem. That sort of implies it's not a real problem.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an allergy or intollerance to wheat or gluten, wheat is not detrimental to health. As for weight loss, it's no different than any other grain. If you have a need or want to reduce carbs, then track it and don't eat too much. Many people have "trigger foods" or foods they have a hard time not overeating if they eat any. If bread or wheat is a trigger for you, then avoid it as you would any other trigger food.

But, "in general", there is nothing wrong with wheat for most people. I've eaten wheat for over half a century and I don't have any medical problems. In fact, I rarely even get a common cold.
  • 1971jamie
    1971jamie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I ate bread for often 3 meals a day for most of my life, like a lot of people probably...

About 3 years ago I was getting really fed up of having permanent symptoms similar to hayfever, particularly rhinitis (blocked nose), and also joint pains particualrly in knees and elbows. I was a couple of stone overweight, but that's all... never been hugely overweight such that it was that alone that was likely to be causing joint problems. Worst symptom of all was a very "gunky" throat, particularly at night... sometimes I'd wake up 30 times a night with a throat full of mucus, not being able to breath. Truly awful. This had got progressively worse for a period of maybe 3-4 years I suppose.

Anyway, to cut long story short I started doing research into food allergies, and discovered that all my symptoms were common of people with an allergy to wheat (not necessarily all gluten) - it is a particualr protein in wheat that can cause all these problems for some people.

I cut out all wheat, and literally in 3 days the symptoms eased considerably... by a week, I felt a whole lot better.

I didn't believe in it at all.

I couldn't believe all that suffering for years was so simple to cure.

I thought it was either just a coincidence, or placebo effect. So, I binged on wheat again as per my "normal" diet, and within hours the symptoms came back!... So, once again I cut it out and all has been fine since.

I read that sometimes after giving your body a long break (6 months, year or so) from an allergen, sensitivity can reduce, or even disappear... so every once in a while I try wheat again to see, but for me the symptoms just come right back within hours.

My biggest problem with it is I absolutely adore freshly baked bread! - even the smell of it in the supermarket etc. gets me craving it... suppose the craving has worn off slightly over the 3 years, or it might just be my will power that has grown stronger!

I can have maybe a sandwich or couple of slices of pizza now and again, but I soon know I've had it, and have to be really strict again for the next few days.

So, my advice is to try cutting out wheat altogether (which can be much harder than you think if you have been used to a lot of convenience or ready-made meals, as virtually EVERYTHING contains wheat!) - give it a good week and see how you feel... then go on a wheat-fest binge for a day or two and again see how you feel... then make the decision!

Hope that helps someone, if you're suffering "hayfever" type symptoms, even in the middle of winter, or joint pains, give it a try!.

Oh, my actual hayfever is not so bad being wheat free diet either!
  • waldo56
    Options

LOLwut?

Humans have eaten wheat for thousands of years and it has been a staple in many areas for that long. There is a small faction of the health food/diet community claiming it might not be good for you in a very first world problem kind of way. Only one side need concern themselves with research and hard data.

I think it's a bit unfair to call Celiac a first world problem. That sort of implies it's not a real problem.

The anti-wheat anti-gluten fad has little to do with celiacs. Most celiacs dislike the fad because it margnalizes their disorder.
  • KatLifter
    Options

LOLwut?

I see your point. I'm looking at it from both sides, not just my own (eat all the foods as long as they don't make you sick). I was expecting Paleo people to come at this topic with how wheat is evil, then others to say it's not. It may be a smal faction in the general population, but they are rampant on these boards.
    Just because people eat something, that doesn't mean it's the best option - rather what's available.
  • shayleac
    shayleac Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would have never thought wheat was bad until the author of "Wheat Belly" was on Dr. Oz.
    He said it is extremely addictive, as much as some drugs even.
    White is bad but whole wheat is just "less bad" but still not good for you.
    I'm not sure if this is true, but he guarenteed that you will lose 15 pounds in a short amount of time by not eating wheat.

However thats extremely hard... wheat is in many things we may not even realize... licorice... beer.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I would have never thought wheat was bad until the author of "Wheat Belly" was on Dr. Oz.
    He said it is extremely addictive, as much as some drugs even.
    White is bad but whole wheat is just "less bad" but still not good for you.
    I'm not sure if this is true, but he guarenteed that you will lose 15 pounds in a short amount of time by not eating wheat.

However thats extremely hard... wheat is in many things we may not even realize... licorice... beer.

Dr. Oz and guests are collectively the single worst source of information on any subject but "how to waste your money on someone's BS book/supplement/program."

For the vast majority of people, wheat is just another food.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot of people talk bad about wheat. I even heard it is considered an addictive substance by some people. I was just wondering what people's opinions about it were.

I know there are some good alternative for carbs like oats, rice, quinoa, etc.. I'm just interested because I like pretty much everyone I know eats bread at almost every meal and if that is detrimental to good health I'd make the switch off of it.

For some, wheat is inflammatory.

I'm marginally allergic to it, in that I get joint pain if I eat too much, and eating any of it makes me feel sluggish and goes through like **** through a goose.

So I avoid it, and I feel good. Although sometimes, like Tuesday... I want mac and cheese. I felt like death warmed over all day yesterday. All day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a sensitivity to it, there is nothing wrong with it. If it triggers cravings, you may want to avoid, as with any trigger food.

If it does not cause a problem with staying within your calorie allowance and hitting your macros and you have no sensitivities to it, there is absolutely no reason to avoid it and many reasons to eat it.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    8 out of 10 people have some sort of sensitivity of wheat and gluten- but few realize they do until they come off of it and find they feel better than they have in years- fatigue, brain fog, gas, bloating, heachaches, allergies , joint pain etc etc They had all their life was not normal.. That is reason enough to question whether wheat is good for anyone. I myself think it is 100% poison - read wheat belly, the paleo diet, and other resources on the subject.. watch fathead, google wheat , celiac disease, autoimmune disorders, depression, mental disorders and you'll see why I feel that way. Nothing wrong with cutting out the wheat for a few weeks and see for yourself if you don't feel 100% better.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    8 out of 10 people have some sort of sensitivity of wheat and gluten- but few realize they do until they come off of it and find they feel better than they have in years- fatigue, brain fog, gas, bloating, heachaches, allergies , joint pain etc etc They had all their life was not normal.. That is reason enough to question whether wheat is good for anyone. I myself think it is 100% poison - read what belly, the paleo diet, and other resources on the subject.. watch fathead, google wheat , celiac disease, autoimmune disorders, depression, mental disorders and you'll see why I feel that way. Nothing wrong with cutting out the wheat for a few weeks and see for yourself if you don't feel 100% better.

8 out of 10? Really?

Source for this?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    8 out of 10 people have some sort of sensitivity of wheat and gluten- but few realize they do until they come off of it and find they feel better than they have in years- fatigue, brain fog, gas, bloating, heachaches, allergies , joint pain etc etc They had all their life was not normal.. That is reason enough to question whether wheat is good for anyone. I myself think it is 100% poison - read what belly, the paleo diet, and other resources on the subject.. watch fathead, google wheat , celiac disease, autoimmune disorders, depression, mental disorders and you'll see why I feel that way. Nothing wrong with cutting out the wheat for a few weeks and see for yourself if you don't feel 100% better.

8 out of 10? Really?

Source for this?

I too would like to see research on that.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For whatever it's worth:

About two years ago I cut out most dairy in order to feel better. A few months ago, I did the same with wheat. I try to avoid it but there are times when I just can't or don't. I don't have a diagnosed gluten disorder but I know that my digestive system feels the best when I don't eat wheat or dairy.

I have read (and no, I don't remember where) that the cause of the higher levels of sensitivity in a lot of Americans is caused by the genetic modifications to wheat. These changes have made "wheat" look nothing like the wheat eaten by our ancestors for hundreds of years.

If you like wheat and carbs and you feel good, eat it. I didn't give up wheat in order to lose weight, but in giving it up, I have found I make healthier choices. I eat a lot more protein and like others have said, I generally have more engery.
  • KatLifter
    Options

8 out of 10? Really?

Source for this?

I too would like to see research on that.

"Conservative estimates say that one in seven people have some form of gluten intolerance. Most do not have Celiac disease, and many are asymptomatic, meaning they do not have clear Celiac-like symptoms. The astonishing and worrying fact is that roughly 80% of Western people’s immune systems react to gluten with the production of IgM and IgG antibodies in what is called the “innate immune response”. The innate immune system predates, evolution-wise, the antibody-producing “adaptive immune system” and nonspecifically defends against pathogens."
    http://owndoc.com/diet/bread-our-daily-poison-gluten-sensitivity-mistaken-candida/

This is a HIGHLY reputable source. (Sarcasm).
  • shayleac
    shayleac Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Actually i've seen results too. One of my friends was having stomach problems and found out they were alergic to wheat.
    They stopped eating it and dropped weight instantly, at least 10 pounds in 2 months, without changing anything else.

So although I agree that Dr. Oz throws a lot of information at you and you have to decide what you believe...

I also have noticed that things with wheat tend to be high calorie and have an addictive aspect to it. I always want to continue eating and tend to overeate when I incorporate wheat into my diet.

Wheat is not what it used to be in the 1990's. It is genetically modified "wheat."

Up to you though