Cake!!

Options
Can I have a piece of cake tomorrow at my neice's b-day or will it wreck me??

-Kim

Replies

• katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having a piece of cake. You adjust yourself accordingly to deal with it. There's no ONE thing that can wreck you...unless you're talking about all-or-nothing thinking.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yum Cake. Why wouldn't you be able to have a piece? I'd have a small piece though to start. You might be surprised how sweet it is and will only want a little. I want cake now.
  • Kimma34
    Kimma34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just want to enjoy myself at the party but I want to be good too!! Thanks,

-Kim
  • Kimma34
    Options
    How do I count cake in my daily goals?? Is their an option for cake???

-Kim
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Plan for it. Try and figure out how many nutritional units it will be (calories, fat, sugar) and then watch those throughout the rest of the day (skip the breadsticks with lunch or the bun on the hotdog, drink water instead of juice).

You'll probably max out your sugar for the day though.....but one day won't kill you :)

I had a doughnut today for the first time in ages and thoroughly enjoyed it....LOL but I won't be doing it again tomorrow.....
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having a piece of cake. You adjust yourself accordingly to deal with it. There's no ONE thing that can wreck you...unless you're talking about all-or-nothing thinking.

Absolutely agree. I think the secret to my sucess is losing the 'all or nothing' attitude. A piece of cake is just a piece of cake. You won't suddenly put on 10lbs with a piece of cake. Enjoy it, savour it, but most importantly, don't beat yourself up over it. Thin people eat cake!
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There are options in everything. I'd personally put it in either as part of the meal you ate it with, or as a snack.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    How do I count cake in my daily goals?? Is their an option for cake???

-Kim

There is but there are so many different types with different options that everything changes drastically. You'll need to do some investigation (is it homemade/storebought, what kind of icing, what kind of cake, how big was the slice, etc.) to be able to accurately gauge it.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    This should be a lifestyle change not a diet, therefore you are not restricted. Just plan for it (leave extra calories or work out and earn calories) and take a smaller portion than you generally would. Don't forget to savor each and every bite because you are enjoying life to its fullest!
  • Kimma34
    Options
    Thanks all of you! You rock! I feel better, I just want to lose weight, I have like 80lbs to go!! I love counting calories it's fun for me!!
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    Options
    YES!!!

In fact, depriving yourself will cause you to crave it more. Some tips that I have found for the inevitable parties:

1) If you are going to eat cake, try to allot for those calories beforehand. Maybe have a smaller breakfast or dinner that day or take a jog around the block that day.

2) Eat slowly. This makes a small piece seem so much more filling. I usually eat while socializing with others, making it so it takes a half hour to eat a slice. Don't sit by yourself, where you are likely to scarf it down.

3) Eat half a slice instead of a whole one

4) Remove as much frosting as you can. You can do this by taking an inner piece, pieces without roses or garnishments and simply pushing excess frosting to the side of the plate.

Just have fun! In the end, even if you pig out... shake it off and start again tomorrow!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Can I have a piece of cake tomorrow at my neice's b-day or will it wreck me??

-Kim

Aw well it is not as if you are doing that all day, everyday is it.

Have a piece. This will be where your willpower comes into its own though, ie not taking a second piece and not taking the first piece that is the size of a four storey house :laugh:

Enjoy your niece's birthday, it is but once per year :flowerforyou:
  • Kimma34
    Options
    Depriving myself sucks and will make things worse in the end. I plan to have a good size but normal peice and some icecream but thats it and I WILL account for everthing I eat, no sense in hiding it!!

-Kim
  • Sallyismyname
    Sallyismyname Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Small Portions... It will be fine! Just do an extra bit of cardio the next day and you will feal good about it!!
  • MMMTDV2
    MMMTDV2 Posts: 7
    Options
    I actually ate cake last night at my nephew's bday party and did what the pp said and added extra cardio - it was a small piece and I only had a couple bites of the icing - after that I just ate the cake. Didn't feel deprived at all & am sure it didn't wreck my day, week or long-term goals. Have fun!
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    If you saw "What's Love Got To Do w/ It" I am going to tell you like Ike told Tina "EAT THE CAKE ANNA MAE. EAT THE CAKE! Either do some exercise to burn it off or just enjoy the moment and go back to your weight loss program. One big or small peice of cake is not going to be 3500 calories! Maybe the whole cake now!