Iced Tea

Options
2»

Replies

• bdoringer
    bdoringer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple. Below is what works for me.

1. Plain water (tap/bottled) counts as water. I have around 12 cups a day.

2. Everything else does not. If it contains calories, it counts as food and is entered in my diary accordingly.

--

And let's be honest: fussing around whether to count this or that as water or not won't bring you any closer to your goal. Eat healthy, drink enough and exercise. That's about it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Can I count it as water?

Yes, it does not dehydrate you. It hydrates you. As for being a diuretic, well so is water. It is exactly why we need to drink plenty of fluids.
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Options
    That is great information. Thanks so much for passing along those links. I am a big tea drinker, especially now that Dr Pepper's are no longer on my shopping list.
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Options
    Also, for the persons that mentioned counting the tea calories, Red Diamond Unsweet Tea has zero (0) calories.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    That is great information. Thanks so much for passing along those links. I am a big tea drinker, especially now that Dr Pepper's are no longer on my shopping list.

Dr. Pepper is my weakness!
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was involved with two medically supervised weight loss programs and both stated that any decaffeinated drink counts towards water consumption. I do count nestea zero as the amount of caffeine is negligable.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3 to 5 cups of coffee at work. I can count that as water? Seriously? That just sounds wrong but it would be nice if i could. Then I can drink a whole pot and not feel bad. Is that ok to do? I mean all the caffeine.
  • bdoringer
    bdoringer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3 to 5 cups of coffee at work. I can count that as water? Seriously? That just sounds wrong but it would be nice if i could. Then I can drink a whole pot and not feel bad. Is that ok to do? I mean all the caffeine.

Caffeine consumption and water intake are two different pairs of shoes.

As mentioned already in this discussion: some people count coffee towards their water intake. Others don't. I personally don't, but that's up to you.

Caffeine consumption on the other hand is a very different story. Generally, consuming more than 500mg of caffeine per day is said to be unhealthy. Given the fact that a regular cup of coffee (black) contains around 80-100mg I would advise against drinking too much of it. A pot a day seems a bit much to me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you're not loading it with oodles of sugar.

This!^

I count is as water ... as long as it's not loaded with sugar (real or fake).

For those of you who say it's a diuretic...... perhaps we could agree to count 16 oz. of tea as 8 oz. of water? It's certainly not 0 oz.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Well Crystal Light Tea better count as water or I'm in trouble!
  • nomorehidding
    Options
    Just testing ticker ...lol
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Since I never know what's what, I have started using the Crystal Light Iced Tea flavoring in my water. Tastes similar and has no caffeine. I don't have a problem drinking water, I drink a lot, but every so often, it's nice to have flavor.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Also, for the persons that mentioned counting the tea calories, Red Diamond Unsweet Tea has zero (0) calories.

Yes - tea in and of itself shouldn't have any calories, its what you put in it that does.

I have my tea sugarless but with milk so I log the milk.

I drink about 5 pints of tea a day, but then I am allowed, because I'm British. :tongue:
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    sigh
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, it is okay. Caffiene can be dehydrating but it would take more than waht is found in the average pot of coffee to have that affect. I may not count a pot of espresso, but in general any non-alcoholic drinks can count.
  • KristiCee67
    KristiCee67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love how some people on here assume I'm doing crappy on this journey because I asked if tea counted as water. For those who were determined to be negative, here's some more info:

1. I drink my tea sugarless.
    2. I have been doing MFP for 15 days....and I've lost 13 pounds.

Bite me.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • KristiCee67
    KristiCee67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I drink about 5 pints of tea a day, but then I am allowed, because I'm British. :tongue:

Love it. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :)