What to do with Swiss Chard?

Options
amberlykay1014
amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
I am tending to my first vegetable garden and I planted a great variety of vegetables that are all doing really well -- except the swiss chard is doing TOO WELL! I have an insane amount of swiss chard!

The problem? I learned that I really don't like it raw in salads/sandwiches because it's just too bitter tasting.

What else can you do with it?

Thanks!

Replies

• mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    I have used it in place of spinach in lasagna... just cut out the middle vein. Could not tell with all the cheese/sauce...
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's good sauteed - the stem and the leaves should be separated and the stem bits cooked longer b/c it takes longer to soften than the leaves.

I second using it in lasagna... so good! Also delicious sauteed with some zucchini/black beans/corn/bell peppers/whatever you like, then rolled in corn tortillas to make enchiladas.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The last time I had a bunch of swiss chard that needed using I sauteed it with butter, parmesan cheese, and lemon juice. Very nice!
  • servalan
    servalan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My vote is the same suggestion I gave for the Kale thread a minute ago:

Heat a can of chicken/beef/veg broth in a large pot on the stove. Add lots of minced garlic and red pepper flakes in broth, and put in cut up kale. (You can easily fill a pot with a bunch of kale, but it will cook down.) Cover and cook on medium high for 5 minutes, then on medium low another 5 or 10 minutes according to taste (I vote for 5 minutes).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    We usually just boil it (quick just until it wilts, like spinach) then serve with a little butter and salt and pepper. I've never eaten it raw and think it's still a bit bitter when cooked but this seems to be a person to person thing (for instance I don't like brussel sprouts but plenty of people do). I'm sure you can use it in just about anyting you would put spinach in, especially if you just use the leaves.

I'm definitly going to try sauteeing it next time we get some, that sounds lovely!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The last time I had a bunch of swiss chard that needed using I sauteed it with butter, parmesan cheese, and lemon juice. Very nice!

This sounds great! Thanks! Love the lasagne idea too!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    We always just ate it steamed, like spinach. A little butter, salt and pepper = nom noms.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You can prepare it like collard greens too...braised for hours
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with garlic, olive oil, lemon juice. Topped with a little Parmesan is very yummy.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Delicious soup! On my way out the door now but wanted to bump this topic to respond to and read later
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love it in soups. Add for last 10min of simmering.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Use it as a wrap for shredded pork... MMMMM
  • lhric32
    lhric32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    we've made quiche with it in place of spinach. Blanch it first and it's not bitter.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Soup.

Lenil & Swiss Chard Soup

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for serving
    1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
    1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, in juice
    2 bunches (about 1 1/2 pounds total) Swiss chard, stalks cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces (keep stalks and leaves separate)
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Bread, for serving (optional)
    Directions
    In a large saucepan with a lid, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, oregano, and thyme; stir to combine.

Add lentils, 5 cups water, and tomatoes with their juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes. Add chard stalks and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chard leaves; season with salt and pepper, and cook until lentils and chard are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

Stir in lemon juice; ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with olive oil, and serve with bread, if desired.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My favorite leafy green!

Boiled w/a little salt and butter
    Saute with Olive Oil, Garlic, and Crushed Red Pepper Flake
    Use in place of spinach in any recipe

Debating on whether "chard chips" would be good - you know, like kale chips!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Swiss Chard & Artichoke Dip

Ingredients
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup finely chopped onion (about 5 ounces)
    4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
    1 bunch Swiss chard (about 12 ounces), leaves and stalks separated and both chopped into small pieces
    1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts (packed in water), drained and rinsed, chopped into small pieces
    4 ounces cream cheese (half of an 8-ounce package), softened
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1½ cups finely grated Pecorino Romano (or parmesan) cheese (about 4 ounces)
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Chopped scallions or chives for garnish (optional)

Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add onion and chopped Swiss chard stalks and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes; do not let garlic brown.

Stir Swiss chard leaves and chopped artichoke hearts into onion mixture. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until chard is tender, about 5 minutes. (Remove lid for last few minutes of cooking if there is liquid in the pot.)

Stir cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, Romano cheese and Worcestershire sauce into Swiss chard mixture and cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until dip is hot and thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve warm, garnished with plenty of chopped scallions or chives, if desired.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Wash it really well, it can be gritty. I had kale and chard so I cut off the stems & sauté them with minced garlic. Slice up the leaves & sauté a few minutes then add a little sesame oil, soy sauce and sesame seeds. It was a yummy green addition to the stir fry I made last week,
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    saving for later...
  • treework
    treework Posts: 2
    Options
    Another soup:

Saute 3 garlic cloves (thinly sliced) in 2 tbsp olive oil until fragrant
    Add one 28 ounce can whole tomatoes (crush the tomatoes or just use the crushed variety) and 28 ounces of water
    salt and pepper, bring to a boil and reduce heat.
    simmer for about 20 minutes

in the meantime, wash one bunch of chard, chop roughly and boil for about 10 minutes until tender then drain.
    (you can reserve some of the water and add it to the soup but it might be a little bitter)

Add chard and one small can of white beans or chick peas to the tomatoes, salt to taste and serve with a little grated romano cheese
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I have found I really like swiss chard and want to use it more often.