loud chewers

Options
124»

Replies

• ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    OMG! And I thought I was just a *****!! I can't STAND smacking or loud chewers or finger lickers!!! I too get angry and grossed out. I will fixate on the offending person (I think I'm trying to make them shut the *$%# up with my mental powers)! The problem is, my husband does all of these things but he doesn't think he does. I have hinted at it and I have expressed my hatred of this horrible habit, and he will agree with me that it is gross, but he does it!!! :noway:

If there is no background noise when we are eating, I have to turn on some "dinner music" so as not to stab anyone with one of my eating utensils!

I didn't read all the responses, so not sure if someone has said this already, but I have googled this before and there is a clinical (?) name for this! MISOPHONIA!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    OMG! And I thought I was just a *****!! I can't STAND smacking or loud chewers or finger lickers!!! I too get angry and grossed out. I will fixate on the offending person (I think I'm trying to make them shut the *$%# up with my mental powers)! The problem is, my husband does all of these things but he doesn't think he does. I have hinted at it and I have expressed my hatred of this horrible habit, and he will agree with me that it is gross, but he does it!!! :noway:

If there is no background noise when we are eating, I have to turn on some "dinner music" so as not to stab anyone with one of my eating utensils!

I didn't read all the responses, so not sure if someone has said this already, but I have googled this before and there is a clinical (?) name for this! MISOPHONIA!

LMAO!!!!!!!!
  • Kacey11312
    Kacey11312 Posts: 55
    Options

Yup, quite a few have mentioned it, including myself. Check out my last comment, it may help you deal. I've had to ask people to turn up the TV or radio before too so that it distracts me. LOL Sad but, it's a real thing. I have a friend whose husband moans, smacks and inhales his food. I want to strangle him. I physically cannot eat when I'm around him. :laugh:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Ugh yes and loud breathers!

Yep, this too!! On bad days, even quiet breathers annoy me...LOL
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    I think the faster someone chews, the louder it gets.
  • p00ki3nb00
    p00ki3nb00 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    SLURPING gets me!!! GRRRRRRR
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I broke up with a guy once, partially because he was a loud chewer and partially because he was a homophobe. Both are HUGE turn-offs for me.

Lucky guy....
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does anyone else detest loud chewers? Crackers and chips seem to be the worst. I fully admit I have issues with it. Can't stand it.

I can't either. My husband is the worst when he eats fried chicken. I have to tell him to chew with his mouth closed or go to the other room to get away from it. I don't notice it any other time from him.
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Kit Kat commercials drive me insane! I have to change the channel when they come on! All that crunching! Ugh!

My husband once invited a friend of his to stay with us for a few months while he was looking for a new apartment. Not only was this guy rude and abrasive, but he grunted, sighed and moaned while eating anything! the worst part was that my husband worked nights, so I spent every evening eating dinner alone with him. When he would fall asleep in my husband's chair and start snoring I'd run upstairs and hide from the thought of what life would be like if he were my husband! I still lose my appetite when I think of that guy and that was almost 10 years ago!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Loud chewing
    scraping the utensil with teeth
    setting utenils down in a very noisy fashion (to the point it produces a loud thunk or clink - depends on the surface lol.)
    slightly opening the mouth when chewing
    lip smacking
    finger licking
    and
    Belching
    Eating food ridiculously fast (to the point you're almost not chewing at all.)

Drives me absolutely crazy!

Other things that annoy me are excessive crinkle sounds (when it's really quiet) of things like potato chip bags. I'm not sure why it sets me off, but I usually have to leave the room when any of these things occur to save my sanity lol.

I feel really bad about it annoying me, which makes it worse because I know it really shouldn't. However, because of it I tend to pay extra attention to my personal eating / table manners (I don't do any of the aforementioned that I listed as annoyances.)

:flowerforyou: You only left out the audible exhale and the "mmmmmm" while chewing.

This entire thread makes me feel so much less neurotic. lol I actually have to put in ear plugs when the guy in the cubicle next to me eats. I won't even get into how disgusting it is that he leaves his stinking apple cores and banana peels in his desk trash can all day.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Kit Kat commercials drive me insane! I have to change the channel when they come on! All that crunching! Ugh!

lol. Instant mute button. Also for Lays potato chip commercials.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Loud breathing and chewing. Thru their nose.

I have to say that I am a loud breather-- mostly a sigher. I don't know how to change it. My family has gotten on me about it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    This entire thread makes me feel so much less neurotic. lol I actually have to put in ear plugs when the guy in the cubicle next to me eats.

This.

*sigh of relief*
    It's not just me! I am officially a part of a group of lunatics!
    SUPPORT GROUP HUG!!!!!!
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    This entire thread makes me feel so much less neurotic. lol I actually have to put in ear plugs when the guy in the cubicle next to me eats.

This.

*sigh of relief*
    It's not just me! I am officially a part of a group of lunatics!
    SUPPORT GROUP HUG!!!!!!

LOL! Should we make a MFP group?
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Loud chewing and slurping just disgusts me. If I hear someone doing this, I lose my appetite instantly, it's so disgusting.
  • FeleciaMiller
    FeleciaMiller Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    OMG you guys are so cracking me up!!!

I also can't stand when someone's tongue comes out to greet the food before it hits the mouth. UGH!!!!

LOL LOL
  • vdobbs28
    vdobbs28 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

THIS!! OMG! I can't stand when someone is breathing so loud through their nose that they sound like they're going to pop! Open your mouth and take a few deep breaths! Is it that hard?!?
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    They chew thru their nose?:noway:
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Loud chewing is one of the all time worst things. I remember a friend of mine would not only chew loudly but make noises too like small grunts of appreciation or something. I dunno what his deal was but he didn't even noticed he did it. :sick:

My stepmom does that. She also kind of hums while she's eating. I want to cry.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Loud chewers are the WORST. I feel like I have a physical reaction to the sound... I want to scream/throw up/cry/punch something all at once. Much worse than nails on a chalkboard for me. lol

Misophonia!

I have it too :smile:

I also hate the crinkling potato chip bag noise. And it's not chewing but when someone drags their feet it drives me nuts. Especially when they have on sandals/flip flops. I can hear my mom chew even when her mouth is closed. She says it's because she's had fillings in her teeth, but my brother eats the same way and he doesn't have fillings. And he gulps. I just stare at him in disbelief when he drinks. :noway: