10 lbs in 2 weeks.. too quick?

Options
About 2 weeks or so ago I started doing Zumba, on DVD for now since I can't get to a gym. Last week before my period began I weighted in at 205-206. This week after i'm at 198 or so(Loss of waterweight perhaps?). I have not been starving myself at all! I had 2 pieces of chocolate cake in the last few days for crying out loud! Haha. I'm on a 1500 a day fix, and it seems to work just fine for me. My cravings have gone down so it's easy to pass up the junk! I love this mindset. I've been doing Zumba 3-5 days a week for 30-60 mins(average 40 mins).

However, is 10 lbs loss in 2 weeks dangerous? I hear you tend to lose it quickly when you first start, but I didn't figure it'd be THIS quick. Just want to know if this is unhealthy, thanks guys!

Replies

• beautifulebony
    beautifulebony Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

Quick answer..yes. A healthy amount to lose each week is 1-2lb, it is easy to maintain and is surely fat and not water weight, which usually accounts for the first couple of weeks when you have high numbers. You will find that it will average itself out over the coming month. But what a great motivator to lose 5lb a week. I wouldn't say no to a bit of that right about now!

I do Zumba too, as I have two kids so don't get to the gym that often. It is a great way to shake of the pounds, and you don't feel like you are exercising at all, but will soon see a beautiful body shape forming.

Keep it up girl.
    Dx
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    That first bit of weight loss can really vary depending on the person. I would say that it's fine because it's the first two weeks and you have 80 lbs. to lose, but that rate shouldn't continue. If you still find yourself losing at 3+ a week for the next few weeks, you'll want to reevaluate how much you're taking in and burning off to make sure you're giving your body enough nutrition.
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much you have to lose, my sister in law lost 9lbs in a week gained .2 the next and lost 5lbs the following.. me on the other hand im not as heavy and trying to lose a pound or 2 isnt so easy.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    When i was bigger, my first week i lost 7 pounds.
    It levels out after the 1st week or two.....
    Most of it i believe is just water weight/retention.
  • torilougher
    torilougher Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I lost the same amount as you in the first two weeks but after the second week it leveled out at 1-2lbs a week and has been constant since then. If you keep losing that much then you might want to alter exercise/diet but i think it will level out within the next week :)
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    NO ITS NOT IT NORMAL YOU GET AT BIG DROP AT FIRST THEN IT WILL LEVEL OFF, ENJOY IT HONEY YOU WORK HARD AND YOUR BODY IS READY TO GET RID OF THAT WEIGHT..
  • CalypsoNi
    CalypsoNi Posts: 44
    Options
    Phew okay, so overall it's not really THAT bad and should become a smaller number over time yes?
    And yeah, a lot of weight to lose haha.. I basically went from no activity aside from the usual walking around the house or 12 mile bikeride a week to 40 mins of Zumba at least 4 times a week + at least 24 miles a week on bike(not racing or anything, but the hills are killer).
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I lost 19lbs in my first month after finding MFP. I have about 95 total I want to lose, and went from sedentary and eating whatever was in front of me, to making healthy choices and exercising at least 60 mins a day 6 days a week. It's evened out now, and I'm losing about 1-3lbs each week as I weigh in.
    I think in my first 2 weeks I lost about 12 pounds right off the bat. A lot is waterweight, etc, etc, but long story short, everything should be okay. I did make sure to get myself a food scale, and would recomment you do the same, and weigh everything I put in my mouth so that I wasn't accidentally over/under estimating, and that my calories logged all actually got eaten.
  • Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me...Was wondering what Zumba dvd do you do?
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Don't worry it's normal to lose a lot when you first make a change. I lost 6 Ibs in my first week, then 3 Ibs I think in the 2nd week. I set out with 70 pounds to lose and 9 months down the line I typically lose a pound a week, sometimes two, which is fine because I can't maintain a strict low cal diet long term. Enjoy it while it lasts! And when it slows down, have patience, especially if you have a lot to lose! As long as you know you're not starving yourself, you're not denying yourself too much, you're mainly healthy with the odd treat you're doing good. Well done in all the exercise too!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it will stop. in 3 more weeks you'll be wishing it was still this fast... and then you'll gain a lb (cuz it will be TOM) ;)
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks you can lose a large amount of weight, especially if you have quite a few pounds to lose. I lost 15 pounds in my first 3 weeks. Then it slowed down to a safe loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week. Don't worry about it! See where you are in a month :flowerforyou:
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When I started this last July I lost 55 lbs in the first 56 days, I am walking and talking and my doctor says im the picture of health. 10 lbs in 2 weeks is not fast enough! I am now the most athletic person I know, I do yoga, p90x, running, strength training, stretching, plyometrics, kenpo, and I can do "one footed fully airborne pushups" where I clap my hands and my body completely leaves the ground....is 1 lb of weight loss a day dangerous???? I let the results speak for them selves.

Anyone who says you are losing it too fast is just jealous and is trying to hold you back.

Don't listen to the naysayers, do what works for you.
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Every person is different...it could have been water weight and not excess fat being burned off...there is not clear cut answer for this...If you are exercising and eating a healthy/balanced diet and getting in enough calories, fat, protein, etc. each day, you are fine. Wishing you continued success on your journey.
  • clairegoodey
    clairegoodey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have a few naughty weeks, when I start back on MFP and fully logging I always loose well in the first few weeks I lost 5 lbs this week and on for at least 2/3 next weeks., but it will then level out to 2lbs a week.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    to quick for me... 2 pounds a week is my biggest loss. Other weeks it was only one pound or .5.....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It slows down. I lost very fast at first too, then it slowed down a lot. I also seem to lose 5-7lbs in 10 days around my period, then I don't move for 2-3 weeks. Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It slows down. I lost very fast at first too, then it slowed down a lot. I also seem to lose 5-7lbs in 10 days around my period, then I don't move for 2-3 weeks. Just keep doing what you're doing!

This for sure. My weight fluctuates like craaazy around my period.
  • dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I lost 19lbs in my first month after finding MFP. I have about 95 total I want to lose, and went from sedentary and eating whatever was in front of me, to making healthy choices and exercising at least 60 mins a day 6 days a week. It's evened out now, and I'm losing about 1-3lbs each week as I weigh in.
    I think in my first 2 weeks I lost about 12 pounds right off the bat. A lot is waterweight, etc, etc, but long story short, everything should be okay. I did make sure to get myself a food scale, and would recomment you do the same, and weigh everything I put in my mouth so that I wasn't accidentally over/under estimating, and that my calories logged all actually got eaten.

This is pretty much the same as my story for the first month. I'm sure I will level off some in the months to come, but I will enjoy the 19 lb loss for now.
  • txann97
    txann97 Posts: 6
    Options
    Sounds good to me...Was wondering what Zumba dvd do you do?

I'd like to know which DVD you're doing as well.