When to start strength training

Options
ckemmis
ckemmis Posts: 51 Member
I've lost about 33 pounds so far and have at least 50 more that I want to lose. I do mainly cardio workouts, such as the elliptical, treadmill, or bike. But I'm wondering when I should start any strength training and how much I should even do. I don't want have super defined muscles, but I do want to be toned and to not have anything jiggle when I get to my goal weight.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Best time to start, yesterday. Second best time, today.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    6 months ago. But today is a pretty decent time as well.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yesterday
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Now. I waited and am sorry I did. New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts...lots of great beginner programs out there. (I use NROLFW and am having great success).
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

^^This.

Super defined muscles won't happen by accident. So, just don't even worry about that. Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

You have muscles already, even under the additional 50 pounds of fat you want to lose. Strength train NOW so you still have those muscles as you lose. You will look much better, not just a smaller version of your current self. I speak from experience! I've done the cardio only with huge deficit and just shrunk my current body composition. Then I finally listened to the masses and started strength training (and training to be awesome) and my body changed. For the better. :wink:
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Now, for all the reasons above.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Now. I wish I had started sooner.
  • Harder_Better_Faster_Stronger
    Options
    The more muscle you have the more fat your body burns. I would say strength training is more important than "cardio."
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Combine the two. I recommend the 30 Day Shred for beginners. It combines cardio and strength training.
  • ckemmis
    ckemmis Posts: 51 Member
    Options

^^This.

Super defined muscles won't happen by accident. So, just don't even worry about that. Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

You have muscles already, even under the additional 50 pounds of fat you want to lose. Strength train NOW so you still have those muscles as you lose. You will look much better, not just a smaller version of your current self. I speak from experience! I've done the cardio only with huge deficit and just shrunk my current body composition. Then I finally listened to the masses and started strength training (and training to be awesome) and my body changed. For the better. :wink:

I giggled at the training to be awesome part. Thanks for the input everyone!
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    Start now :)

I know it can be intimidating, but it feels great....after the first week or so. You are gonna feel like crap for the first week.