125 days and burned out

Options
I feel like I was going strong for awhile, but I have been thinking of taking a break. I don't want to lose ground, but I am tired of logging, tired of counting, and getting impatient and complacent.

I know I should still be working out, and lifting weights. But I do it at home and it is harder and harder to put that first above school work, kids, housework, etc. And I am tired.

And I know I am fitting in clothes that I couldn't wear before, and so part of me feels like this is "good enough", even though I really would like to be another 30 lbs lighter and a few clothing sizes smaller. I just don't know if I have it in me to get there. And I think part of me is afraid that even if I could get there, I couldn't maintain it.

I am in my original goal of fitting back into size 12 summer clothes. When I started I was between a 16 and 18 pants size. But I know the size 12 clotheswould look better if I lost more. And I know I would look better if I lost a lot more. My face, my stomach area, my waist, my flabby arms, there are still plenty of places to lose fat.

And yet, I am feeling burned out. I am still logging everything, and I can see that I am making more and more poor choices.

Everyday I think today will be the day that I kick it back into gear, but mentally, physically, emotionally, I am just tired. I wonder if taking a break will help me come back and start fresh. Or will the break last longer and longer, until it is falling off the wagon instead of just taking a break.

What have you found helps you recommit? Should I give myself a week off? Continue to log, everything even if it isn't the best choice?
I would hate to start over on counting my days, since my current count of 125 days really is from the first day I discovered this site. And yet, I wonder if seeing how I do with out it would be a good thing.

Even with the "bad choices" that I have made, I am more active than I was, I drink more water, and I eat less in general. So if I kept doing those things, while I took a break, I would be able to see how I do without constantly logging.

Replies

• shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Have you made the changes needed to your thought patterns and attitude? Or have you been "getting through it, white knuckled with determination".

I used to force myself through it, burn out, then go back to my old habits.

I then learned to make new habits, that I had to change how I thought about myself and what I wanted my life and my body to be like.

What are you getting tired of now? Maybe that's an indication of something not working for you.

Perhaps simplify your meals so you can add then with one click instead of logging every line.

Perhaps your activity needs to change? Do you like what you do? Do it at a different time in the day? Buy a gadget to make doing whatever you do fun again?

Perhaps you need to allow yourself some slack? I force myself to stay within my weekly calorie allowance, but I still have days that I eat pizza, or wings and beer.

You've made it this far, you know you can do this, you just need to find what will make it better for you.
  • taitmamly
    taitmamly Posts: 19
    Options
    Are you putting in every single item of food every time? If so you could save yourself some time by collecting items together and saving them as meals so that it's quicker and easier to log your food, or the phone app is handy as you can log food on your lunch break.

Personally I think that if you're going to lose a lot of weight, you've got to make it enjoyable otherwise you will just get bored and burn out and that's not the aim. You should have a good idea by now what is a good meal and what's not, so why don't you take a week off logging. Not a week from dieting - keep your food good and healthy - but just don't worry about logging it for a week and get yourself balanced again. Like a little holiday. Then come back fresh and ready to get back on it.

In the week you can make sure you don't gain again by making sure you're doing plenty of good exercise and keep your fluids up so you're passing everything through properly. There are some wonderful exercise videos from blogilates which are very good for keeping yourself trim
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating at maintenance for a week, and switching your workouts to something you truly enjoy and/or can do with your family like walking or throwing a frisbee around at a park, etc...things that don't feel like workout out but are still a form of activity. I'd also still recommend logging so you can make sure you don't totally over-do it on your "break"- otherwise you could gain the weight back and ruin all your hard work.

I totally understand how you feel- I've been there many, many times- but I feel worse, both mentally and physically, when I fall off the wagon and lose my progress. Just remember- it isn't all-or-nothing. You can back off a bit without giving it all up. Personally, I have been busy and stressed out of my mind for the past 2 months. I could be doing better with my eating choices and I should definitely be getting in more workouts. But eventually I had to accept that right now, I can't do everything...so I do what I can...I don't always make the healthiest decisions and I don't look at my macros much, but I at least make sure I stay within my cals. And while I'm not working out 4+ times a week, I'm making sure to at least get in a couple short walks every day. Those little bits add up and accepting this lower level of dedication is better than burning out and giving up. The result has been a very slow loss...instead of 1-3 lbs a week, I'm losing closer to half a pound...but I'd rather have that than a gain.

One thing that helps me is looking at the success stories forum- seeing what other people have accomplished reminds me that yes, this IS possible! Our goals ARE attainable if we're willing to put in the work.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was feeling exactly like you about a month ago. I decided to take the month off and set my calories to maintenance. I continued to log but took the occasional day off. It was just what I needed because now I am right back on target and weigh one pound less than my "lowest" before hiatus.

Sometimes, you just need a break from everything and its ok. Try to make sure that you don't fall into bad habits though. Think, I am still trying to be healthy but I need a break from my life being about food.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I feel like I was going strong for awhile, but I have been thinking of taking a break. I don't want to lose ground, but I am tired of logging, tired of counting, and getting impatient and complacent.

I know I should still be working out, and lifting weights. But I do it at home and it is harder and harder to put that first above school work, kids, housework, etc. And I am tired.

And I know I am fitting in clothes that I couldn't wear before, and so part of me feels like this is "good enough", even though I really would like to be another 30 lbs lighter and a few clothing sizes smaller. I just don't know if I have it in me to get there. And I think part of me is afraid that even if I could get there, I couldn't maintain it.

I am in my original goal of fitting back into size 12 summer clothes. When I started I was between a 16 and 18 pants size. But I know the size 12 clotheswould look better if I lost more. And I know I would look better if I lost a lot more. My face, my stomach area, my waist, my flabby arms, there are still plenty of places to lose fat.

And yet, I am feeling burned out. I am still logging everything, and I can see that I am making more and more poor choices.

Everyday I think today will be the day that I kick it back into gear, but mentally, physically, emotionally, I am just tired. I wonder if taking a break will help me come back and start fresh. Or will the break last longer and longer, until it is falling off the wagon instead of just taking a break.

What have you found helps you recommit? Should I give myself a week off? Continue to log, everything even if it isn't the best choice?
    I would hate to start over on counting my days, since my current count of 125 days really is from the first day I discovered this site. And yet, I wonder if seeing how I do with out it would be a good thing.

Even with the "bad choices" that I have made, I am more active than I was, I drink more water, and I eat less in general. So if I kept doing those things, while I took a break, I would be able to see how I do without constantly logging.

Take a week off if you need it. But, to me it sounds like maybe you are overly restrictive - which always results in burn-out. Try not to restrict access to certain favorite foods (mine are ice cream, cookies, and salt & vinegar chips) but instead make room for them in your daily calorie goal (a serving...not three, you know?). Also, make sure you are eating enough - another common cause of burn-out. I am 5'2" tall and eat 2000 calories per day TO LOSE WEIGHT. So many people underfeed themselves. Would you expect to get very far in a car with an 1/8 tank of gas? Nope.
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I read your post and it brought back memories from when I first started. I was so overwhelmed with all the new choices, and logging and working out, all the while loving kids, the mommy duties and wife ones too. I felt so much pressure. It was almost too much at times.
    I also worked out at home. I did Jillian Michael's workout dvds. It hasn't always been easy, a lot of mornings getting up before kids, nap time workouts then the mad dash to do the dishes. Whew, and all the while just trying to stay afloat.

Let me tell you it gets BETTER!!! It becomes routine and then you realize that the workouts help in stress and in the long run keep you more energized and before you know it you LOVE YOUR WORKOUT TIME! You can certainly ask more for yourself. If you want those size 12's they are yours. This process is a long, great sweat filled workouts, some not so great sweat filled workouts and memories. It takes patience.

Every time I started getting that worn out feeling I would buy a new workout dvd, she has plenty, they are even at our library too!!!! If this doesn't seem to work for you and your body still just wants a break make sure you are getting enough to eat, and plenty of sleep (LOL) funny huh ;) Try to mentally build strength, by examining if YOU want a break because you are mentally tired or if your body really needs it. Our bodies can push harder than we think they can.

We can do so much for our selves, be strong and determined, and I know you can get to where you really want to be, put your fear aside and just start working that bod girl!!!!

Three years later and I am getting what I started out wanting, I never thought when I began at 197 pounds I would ever see the 130's many plateaus and many tough workouts, but I am mentally stronger, more confident and I am seeing the woman I always wanted to be. Good luck my dear mommy friend. Chin up and sweat good, Have a wonderful evening
    ~Corina
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The problem is that the alternative is, well, not very exciting, is it?

If you really need a break, eat at maintenance for a couple weeks... just 300 more calories a day or something. It won't hurt you. It might even boost your metabolism a little. But you've gone so far, don't throw all your hard work out of the window!
  • bjune5
    bjune5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nope. Don’t stop what you are doing. It’s probably a habit now.
    You will feel guilty and feel like something isn’t right.
    Perhaps change up your routine at home or meet up with friends for a workout.
    Go to a gym and take advantage of their 5 or 7 day free passes.
    Treat yourself to a spa day or a quick message.

A group of us girls work out at the same gym where we meet up to do fitness classes or we’ll do a run/job at the local park.
    If one of is missing for a couple of days, someone will check up on them.

You got this!
  • Ladina1990
    Ladina1990 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Its natural to want and take time up or just stop because other things in your life is also important like children, school and work, I'm trying to lose the weight and work and be a mommy at the same time. Just keep reminding yourself why you started working out and try something new that you haven't done before to change it up. I believe in you don't give up :smile:
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It really sounds to me like you need a break. Decide how much time you want to take off and do it. Then come back ready to go.

There's no reason for you to be miserable or to wind up quitting before you want to out of exasperation.

Every 3 or 4 months I get burned out and need to take a break, too. I log everything and eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks, but if you are sick of logging and counting, you might want to take a break from logging as well as from eating at a deficit.
  • Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's comments and encouragement. I do think part of it is tired of having food be the focus of my life. But some of it I just can't put my finger on what my problem is. I am going to reread everyone's comments and think about how best I should approach this. Clearly something needs to change.
    But right now I have to keep running, I have a baseball game to get to, and that is probably part of the problem, with summer sports kicked into gear and school for the kids not over yet, and my summer schedule started (going full time for the summer), I am feeling overwhelmed and having to actually take the time to think, plan, prepare, measure, and keep myself accountable for food is just getting to be too much.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that you have reached your original goal; so, set yourself a new one. Not having a solid goal to aim for would make anyone squishy on committment and work.