Super Mocha Oatmeal Power Smoothie

Options
affacat
affacat Posts: 216 Member
This is a power smoothie. I developed this as a post workout smoothie lunch to replace the store bought smoothie powder and a Clif Builder Bar I was eating for lunch. It is 622 calories, but can easily reduced by over 200 cals in various simple ways (see end of recipe). It's obviously designed to be very filling. This is a vegan recipe as it stands, though will depend on your protein powder and milk source.

The oats, once soaked and blended, break down pretty much completely -- this is definitely a smoothie, not 'sludge'. I tried to keep the overly processed stuff down to a minimum, which is why i went with a flavorless protein powder, cocoa powder, and use maple syrup to sweeten rather than use a pre-sweetened/flavored protein powder (though obviously, it's an easy fix to use whatever you have). I was scared it wouldn't work, but dang does it work.

Directions to easily reduce calorie count available at end.
I prepare this the night before, but it can be done all at once (if you have room temp coffee) in a pinch. Preparing it early lets the oats and chia have time to soak.

I tried to add this as a recipe for all, but it won't let me choose a subcategory (it's blank on firefox) so i can't save it.

INGREDIENTS:
Rolled Oats --- 1/2 Cup
Maple Syrup (grade B) --- 30 grams (about 1.5 tablespoons)
Chia Seeds --- 1 tablespoon
Rice Milk (unsweetened, unflavored) --- 1 cup
Coffee (chilled or room temp) --- 1 cup
Omega Nutrition Pumpkin Protein Powder (unflavored) --- 15 grams (1 serving)
Cocoa Powder --- 1 tablespoon
Cocoa Nibs --- 6 grams (or to taste)
Powdered Peanut Butter (Just Great Stuff (it's organic) or PB2) --- 2 tablespoons

RECIPE:

Night Before:
1) Put oats, chia seeds, rice milk, and maple syrup in a mason jar or other container. Place in fridge to let them soak. This step can be skipped if necessary, but I think it improves texture.
2) Optionally measure all other DRY ingredients into another container to easily add later.

Morning
1) Make an extra cup of coffee in the morning. Let stand on your counter or put in fridge.

SMOOTHIE TIME:
1) Blend all ingredients! If you're using a hand blender, you may have better luck adding half the coffee to the oats mixture, blending for a bit, then adding the rest of the coffee and powders and blending again. (note - most blenders are sized to fit mason jars...)

NOTES:
1) Nibs won't be for everyone. I love them. They do add bits to the smoothie. If you dislike them, just leave out.
options:
a) You can soak them in water overnight (drain, the water will be bitter)
b) food process them into small bits and then add when adding powders
c) just throw them in when you're making it. Depends on your tolerance for crunchy bits.

2) If you use a chocolate protein powder, or chocolate peanut butter powder, remove or reduce cocoa powder. If your protein powder is sweetened, remove or reduce maple syrup.

HOW TO EASILY REDUCE CALORIES BY OVER 200 --
a) Reduce Rolled Oats to 1/4 cup. Same amount of liquids works just fine. saves about 112 cals.
b) Use almond milk instead of rice milk - saves about 75 cals.
c) Reduce Powdered Peanut Butter to 1 tablespoon (half serving). saves about 22 cals.

These changes won't noticeably affect flavor. It won't be as filling, though my wife can't even finish one with the full 1/2 cup of oats anyway.

Replies

• mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for this recipe! It gave me a bunch of new ideas.
  • affacat
    Options
    Hey, thanks for this recipe! It gave me a bunch of new ideas.

No problem! It took me awhile to develop this recipe, and I was really concerned about a number of things (especially managing sweetness and richness w/o overpowering the flavor) but managed to quickly and easily come up with something that worked, so I figured I'd share. I got some of the ideas from this site (chia seeds and maple syrup - I would have though maple syrup would be too strong of a taste, but it's not) so it's only fair.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • affacat
    Options
    some updates:

1) i realized i was logging the wrong type of trader joe's rolled oats... most brands (even the trader joe ones i'm actually using) seem to have considerably less cals (like, by 100 cals for 1/2 cup). i generally use either bob's red mill or trader joe's, depending on which store i can get to... but yea, both are less than the particular listing for trader's joes i used.

2) added a tablespoon of food processed flax seeds.

3) added about a teaspoon more cocoa powder to get a richer chocolate. worked well. my wife is sticking to it as is.
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options
    is grade b maple syrup healthier than the regular?
  • affacat
    Options
    update- Finally got a new Breville, I had been forced to use a hand blender for awhile. Now I no longer pre-prepare nibs... the breville pulverizes them in the smoothie. Tomorrow i'm going to try not soaking the oats or chia seeds as well and see how it works with just the blender and no prep.
    is grade b maple syrup healthier than the regular?

i'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'regular', but either way, the answer is yes.

Grade B is mildly more healthy than Grade A due to the increases vitamins/minerals, but both B and A are way better for you than 'pancake' syrup -- Aunt Jemima and brands like that are not really maple syrup at all, but are made with cheap corn syrup and other icky ingredients (ie, a sugar syrup).

Overall, maple syrup is a very nice natural sweetener, healthy in moderation. It can be overpowering in some recipes, but somehow is completely invisible to both my wife and I in this one. (I was really worried I was making a maple syrup smoothie the first time i tried this, and was amazed at how well it worked.

here's an article on the differences between Grade B and A:
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/12/maple-grade-b-syrup-a-b-cs-of-it.html
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options
    that was informing. Thanks!