So, I have this rash...

Options
CaseyBee
CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
... on the back of my ANKLES. (Yeah, I know, you weren't expecting that. ;)

Every time I go for a walk or run, I get this weird rash on the back of my legs, right near the ever-popular ankle tattoo spot. (I don't have a tattoo there, for the record.) The rash is about the size of a softball, and goes away within an hour of getting home. I've never seen it before, and it only happens when I walk/run. What could it BE?

I considered the fact that my running shoes were trying to kill me, but that seems implausible.

Replies

• Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I found this... At first all i came up with was dealing with butt crack rash LOL!

Irritant contact dermatitis, which can occur when your ankles rub against your shoes, socks or irritating fabric while exercising, can cause red spots to develop on your ankles during exercise. Heavy socks or tight shoes can trap moisture against your ankles and feet, resulting in heat rash. In addition, red spots can be the result of an allergic reaction caused by consuming an allergen prior to your workout or coming into contact with irritating substances such as poison ivy while exercising. Exercising can also worsen skin conditions such as eczema, which can trigger spots and itching on your ankle area.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/486932-red-spots-on-the-ankles-after-exercising/#ixzz2VOYex8n4
  • CaseyBee
    Options
    See, it's at least two or three inches above the top of my sock, which sticks clears the top of the back of my shoes by another inch, so it's not caused by rubbing. Unless somehow the actual part of my skin making contact with my sock is somehow transferring the irritation up higher without being directly affected...
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I was thinking maybe you are allergic to somethingyou are eating and dont know it? I know they 'say' alot of people are allergic to gluten and such but just never really know it until they cut it out. I would be confused too.
  • lunaephiliac
    Options
    My guess would be that's where you sweat more/ are extra sensitive to sweat.

but mostly, that's weird. now I wanna see it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    In for rashes!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen, Casey!

In all seriousness, I'm gonna add a +1 to what lunaephiliac said. Maybe you sweat more there or are more sensitive or something. Is your skin bare there when you run, or do you have full-length pants?
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Are you applying any body lotion or sunscreen to that area shortly before running? I get a rash sometimes when I use lotion and then sweat.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    What were we suppose to think? I don't get it.

As far as the back of the ankle rash, any chance you're kicking up some gravel or something when you run? I get kind of a weird burn at my shoe line from light gravel/beach sand. It's a b*tch to get rid of.

Or you may have exercise induced hives. Do you have any calamine lotion? The pink stuff that smells nice. I've found that if itchy bumps are hives, that settles them right away. Bug bites & sand burn need different stuff.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I get that ankle rash when I run, especially now that I trail run and the weather is a lot warmer. I figure it's something in the dirt I kick up. The rash extends above my socks, but also starts below them.

I'm debating changing socks, but i like the ones I use when i run (feet never hurt, even on long runs).

The rash never hurts/itches, just looks ugly. Fades after a couple of days.
  • CaseyBee
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen, Casey!

In all seriousness, I'm gonna add a +1 to what lunaephiliac said. Maybe you sweat more there or are more sensitive or something. Is your skin bare there when you run, or do you have full-length pants?

I think it MAY be sweat. I remembered to take a picture today, but it was about 20min after getting home, and it's already faded by at least 50% from what it was when I was out running today. Anyway. I can honestly say I've never taken a picture of the back of my ankle before. It was hard!

As you can see, it starts a good 1.5" above the top of my sock. Also, good guess on the lotion/sunscreen, but I don't put anything on my legs (only SS on the tops of my shoulders, chest and face, and no rashes any of those places.) As to pant length, I run in either capri-length running tights or shorty running shorts, so that's not it either....

photo16_zps6ca38054.jpg
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Looks like what I get. Sounds like it's from sweat/heat from the warmer weather.
  • cowboy032587
    cowboy032587 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    looks like a heat rash to me. Normally heat rashes appear while working out and go away when you cool off and shower.