• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Can't you just cross your legs??
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Self control, moderation, exercise.

in those orders. I eat everything I want when I crave it no matter what time of the month it is. If I want chocolate I have chocolate. I portion it out and eat it and log it and move on. Also exercise. When I am moving I cant be eating (not that coordinated and food isn't allowed in the pool generally). You will feel better, and you will have that little extra for the choclate.

If you can't have chocolate in your house you go, buy good quality chocolate (not the dollar chocolate bar), seperate it into proper portions and freeze it. I do that with pretty much everything, separate it into the actual portion and then I don't eat out of the bag/box and if I put it on a shelf that I cannot reach I am required to either have help getting it down or get the step ladder and most of the time if I have to do that I ask myself "do I REALLY want this, is it worth the effort"
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I too had the same problem when I was doing a regular diet (500 calories less per day). I haven't had this problem whilst doing the 5:2 fasting diet but my periods have become irregular which could be due to work stress and / or menopause.
  • taitmamly
    taitmamly Posts: 19
    Options
    Well generally speaking you crave things because you need them.

Women will crave things high in sugar and high in salt because of the extra work your body is doing and because of the blood loss from your period. Your body needs them to keep themselves in tip top order. Bearing in mind that the average women on a seven day period will burn and extra 200-300 calories a day from all those wonderful cramps you can afford to indulge a little.

My theory is to work out exactly what my body is craving, and give it a healthier option. So one of my general favourites at that time of the month is red meat. I go crazy over bolognaises, lasagne's, steaks, and gods knows what else and knowing the craving is most likely to be the salt and iron in the meat that my body wants, I take an iron supplement every day from the day before and have a bolognaise with extra lean mince (the typically less than 5% fat ones). That usually kicks it for me.

Try making a list of the foods (and drinks!) you commonly crave when you're on your period and do some research about what nutrients are in each item - if you can find something similar in each then you know what you're missing every month and can plan for it :D
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I have never craved a period before. Maybe im odd. Oh wait...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Just always ask questions, right? then would you need periods?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    No cravings, I just go berserk. berserker. berserkly? lol
    ber·serkly adv.
    Word History: When we say that we are going berserk, we may not realize how extreme a state this might be. Our adjective comes from the noun berserker, or berserk, which is from the Old Norse word berserkr, "a wild warrior or champion." Such warriors wore hides of bears, which explains the probable origin of berserkr as a compound of *bera, "bear," and serkr, "shirt, coat." These berserkers became frenzied in battle, howling like animals, foaming at the mouth, and biting the edges of their iron shields. Berserker is first recorded in English in the early 19th century, long after these wild warriors ceased to exist.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I have never craved a period before. Maybe im odd. Oh wait...

because you are using them in moderation....look ^^^
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered how much of it is just mental and how much is real. We've been told all our lives that your period will make you crave junk, be cranky, feel bloated, etc. I had a partial hysterectomy (uterus and cervix only) at 28. I still had ovaries so all the hormone changes etc that get blamed for the TOM madness were still there and happening but after a year or so when I had lost track of when my period would have been I didn't have TOM issues anymore.

Sure there are days that you want to eat sweets, days you feel like crap or are bloated but not being able to tell yourself that TOM is coming so it justifies all the crazy ideas really takes some of the weight out of the idea. Same thing with menopause. I'm 55 now so I'm assuming it has probably happened but while my friends were complaining about all their menopausal dramas, I really can't see that there has been much different going on.

I may be a special snowflake but I really still wonder how much is real and how much is excuses.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Get pregnant?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Get pregnant?

^This right here. Put that period in its place!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Snap

I am exactly like you. And I think so many other women are in the same boat too

I crave carbs, carbs and more carbs when I am on, comfort food, sugary cereals.....and lots of it

All I can say is try to drink lots of water, and before it comes do a food shop, and stock up on all low cal snacks and lots of fruit!!!

Get sweet things for the cravings but lower cal stuff so you won't feel bad after

Good luck.....dreading my next period, I always feel huge too when I am on....not sexy!!
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I try to have healthier options available, so if I do go a little overboard, it's not as bad as it could have been. I really enjoy chocolate-drizzled rice cakes during my TOM, lol.

^^^^ This! I try to substitute similar but better options.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I don't know if this will sound weird or not, but I eat avacado's...a half to one a day while I'm on my period and I haven't had any huge craving for anything else during that time.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is a video on YouTube with Jillian Michaels that talks about helping with cravings.

She says when you are really crave something brush your teeth or use those Colgate Wisps. if you are on the go. If you have to eat something, they used pizza as an example, take 3 bites then walk away from it for 10 minutes. I guess you are supposed to not care about it anymore, but you at least got a taste.

This is pretty good advice! Brushing your teeth does work, I've done that before, many years ago though.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say clean eating helped me! LOL. I swear St. John's wort is helping, though. I still have an elevated appetite, but those monsterous, wanna kill someone if I don't get pizza, chocolate, etc. cravings are way better. Also, I have no problem getting boxes of the little Trader Joe's Belgian dark chocolate bars. Each is 100 calories and I don't go so crazy knowing I'm going to have chocolate every day. :bigsmile:
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Eat what you are craving (in moderation) then go for a nice walk to burn it back off if you can't fit it in to your intake. That's what I try to do anyway.
  • Bec_88
    Bec_88 Posts: 45
    Options
    exercise and a yummy protein bar, within my calorie intake for the day... if you get the right one it gives you that 'chocolate fix'... it worked me for just yesterday :)
  • kelooki
    kelooki Posts: 22
    Options
    Depends on what you are craving.

For me, I crave carbs. So I try to fill up on decent carbs like potatoes, rice, and maybe have a pasta of sorts.

If you crave chocolate - maybe have a little chocolate to get rid of the craving. Or find some chocolate milk/hot drink.

Just try to stick as close to your calories as you can.