What do I need for Squats and Deadlifts?

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
I desperately need to start doing squats. I do them without any weights, and I like the idea of adding weights.

I have also heard good things about deadlifts, which I am wanting to try.

Anyway, I am obviously a noob at this - I am wondering if I need a barbell, or a kettlebell, or if handbells will do. Does it matter? Could I do both with all of these tools or no?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Barbell and an assortment of plates.

Technically you can do squats and deads with dumb bells and kettlebells, but ick.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Lol Whierd - that "Ick" was pretty convincing.
  • whierd
    Options
    I am not a fan of kettlebells. :) Dumbbells have their place, but I don't like them for deads and squats.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I dont know why "ick" at the dumbbells... That is what I use for my deadlifts and my squats, etc. I dont have access to a bar right now. If you are a beginner at lifting, dumbbells work great to start. I can use 2 50 pound dumbbells and am deadlifting 100 pounds. or hold the dumbells at my shoulders using two 25 pound ones and squat 50 pounds.

I am getting good results using dumbbells for all of my strength training for the time being, including overhead press, bench press, etc.

Of course, if you HAVE access to a bar, I would use that!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options
    I am not a fan of kettlebells. :) Dumbbells have their place, but I don't like them for deads and squats.
    I have never used kettlebells though so I cant speak on kettlebells, but I do like the dumbbells for myself :)
  • lizalouise
    lizalouise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You also need a squat rack, or a strong spotter. Because you're going to be able to squat a whole lot more than you can press overhead. I.e., i squat 85kg and press 37.5kg.
  • whierd
    Options
    I dont know why "ick" at the dumbbells... That is what I use for my deadlifts and my squats, etc. I dont have access to a bar right now. If you are a beginner at lifting, dumbbells work great to start. I can use 2 50 pound dumbbells and am deadlifting 100 pounds. or hold the dumbells at my shoulders using two 25 pound ones and squat 50 pounds.

I am getting good results using dumbbells for all of my strength training for the time being, including overhead press, bench press, etc.

I don't like the dumbbells for those exercises because it is harder to keep your form and you're more limited on how much weight you can use.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I prefer a barbell to dumbbells as well...I have a much harder time holding onto dumbbells rather than a barbell for deadlifts. I'm doing 165 for deads right now, and I'm not sure I could handle that much weight in dumbbells. Also, as your weights get heavier, I think you'll have a harder time either swinging the weights to your shoulders for squats or lifting them off the ground for deads safely.

That being said, if you do not have access to a gym or barbell, kettlebells or dumbbells are a good place to start. You should expect to progress past them fairly quickly though. I have only been lifting 11 weeks and my dead has already gone from 45 lbs (barbell weight) to 165.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    OK well I do intend to do these at homes - and as much as I would like to have a spotter with me, I don't think that will always happen...and I like my independence to workout freely.

Would the dumbbells/kettlebells be safer in this case? I can imagine so because I could just drop it/won't have it over my head.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    If you're going to a gym then you just need to get comfy in the free weight section of the gym. The cage will be your new best friend. If you are buying equipment to work at home, you can buy a set of starting lifting weights that will get you through the first couple months of lifting. You can't get very high in weight without a cage though. Good luck, you will love lifting!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    For Squats and Deadlifts you need a bar and plates. Additionally for Squats you need at least a Half-Rack. Don't let anybody full you into thinking you can properly squat without one because you can't.

Then you need to read and / or watch some videos on proper form. On YouTube search for.

1. So You Think You Can Squat.
    2. Elitefts.com - Teaching the Deadlift

Then you need to review a method so you follow property setup and progression.
    1. StrongLifts 5x5
    2. Starting Strength

Those are the easiest to learn.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    Options

I don't like the dumbbells for those exercises because it is harder to keep your form and you're more limited on how much weight you can use.

Yes, this is true. Once I can, I fully intend to use a bar. I just wanted to let her know, it is possible to use dumbbells and get good results. Some people think since they dont have access to a bar, why bother
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I just started using weights for my squats and deadlifts. I only use 2 10# weights, but I'm going to increase weight in a week of so. Its a good start if you've never used weights before. Don't waste your time with anything smaller than 8 lbs.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have been doing weighted squats since February, starting at 8 pounds, I am up to 15 pounds in each hand, and the back of my thighs (sorry don't know which muscle) is much harder and tighter now. I had ZERO lifting experience before February and this was where my trainer started me, I like it because I can do it on my own. I hope to advance over the summer, in the fall I plan on working with a trainer to advance to lifting heavy with the barbell/weights, I have a long way to go.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Thank you! This definitely helps put into perspective where I need to start.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If you look up progressive bodyweight exercises for both squats and Romanian Deadlifts - you only need your own body and you can keep your cash in your pocket!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I use dumbbells and kettle bells.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you train these exercises on the barbell you will have a very good base for other exercises like Olympic-style lifts.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the sticky threads in this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women