fast food and restraunts low calorie suggestions

Options
Hi I'm really getting tired of eating at subway or pita pit when I'm going to eat out. I was just wondering if anyone out there has suggestions of places they go to that have good tasting food with low calorie options.

Replies

• kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Most of the big chain restaurants have good options. My favorite right now is Ruby Tuesday! :) I get the caribbean jerk chicken with zucchini and salad bar. :) But they have all types of options. And there's a lot of flavor. I also don't get the mango salsa on top, I don't like mangos...but they have an option that comes with shrimp, too :)
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Applebee's, Chili's, Outback, and Ruby Tuesdays all have lower calorie items on their menus. I like getting the 6 oz sirloin with a steamed vegetable. I also enjoy the grilled chicken sandwiches at Wendy's or Chick-fil-a, although the sodium can be high. Do some research online before going. It can help.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell's fresco menu is good. I usually get two chicken soft tacos and a side of black beans, for a total of 380 calories.

KFC: Grilled chicken breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans comes in at 365 calories--and that breast has 40g protein. Add a grilled wing and a biscuit and you'll still only be at 625.

Panda Express: get veggies as your side, or half-veggies and half-rice, and depending on your choice(s) of entree, you'll do pretty well. I often do a two-entree plate with half-veg, half rice, with kung pao chicken and broccoli beef for 585 calories.
  • Angelstrength
    Angelstrength Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out often because I don't trust the stats. I like to be in control of what I'm making and measure it myself. I feel they eyeball servings. We go to a restaurant less than once a month, sometimes 3-4 months. Instead we get lean cuts of steak to grill, and I make salad, sweet potatoes or steamed broccoli. It's just something I learned to give up right away because there just isn't good stuff out there, especially "fast food." Everything is "white" - bread, wraps, etc. It's just not a good idea.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell- Fresco Chicken Soft Taco (2) has more calories than one Supreme Chicken Gordita. Sooo your pick

McDonald's -Grilled Snack Wrap (Honey Mustard), Ice Cream Cup (plain with or without nuts -nuts are 45 calories and 2g carb)

Subway- well 50 or so grams carb, but barely 20g protein

Others.. I really dunno xD

Oh Olive Garden- Venetian Apricot Chicken, less carbs, more protein, but I don't really like the taste haha.

Panda Express- I just eat the chow mein and a bigger portion of veggies but it easily adds up to calories in the hundreds...and that soy sauce is horrible (sodium and MSGs) for ya

Can't think of much else :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still have taco bell (fresco tacos) occasionally. I avoid most of the other fast food places because it's a lot of calories for not much food, even the healthier options. Most sit down restaurant chains will have lower calories options. I just check their websites before going out so I have an idea of what to eat. We eat out probably 3 times a month... often Applebee's, but Uno and Chili's have decent options too. I know Ruby Tuesday and Olive Garden do as well, and Cheesecake Factory.
  • shelbrain
    shelbrain Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I commute for work so I have tried to find some "better bad choices" when I go to fast good places:

Wendys: Large chili and plain baked potato

McDonalds: Premium Grilled Chicken Wrap

Chick Fil A: Chicken Club Sandwich or Grilled Chicken Salad with Light Italian Dressing

Pita Republic: Veggie Pita

Subway: 6" turkey or ham on wheat bread

Taco Bell: Fresco Chicken Soft Tacos (2-3)
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love the ready-to-go food from Whole Foods. I'll also eat burgers without the bun.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Booster Juice - I modify a few of the smoothies

Freshii - salads

Chipolte Mexican Grill
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps with these places is tell them to hold the cheese. Unless you can verify they are using a healthier type, assume it's low grade american and save 100 calories per slice.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    you know you don't have to eat the entire plate of food they bring to you....right?
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Chipotle burrito bowl with chicken, mild salsa, lettuce, and guac. 365 calories. No rice, no beans. Still very filling.
  • gceinca
    gceinca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    El Pollo Loco - great grilled chicken!
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Grilled anything at Red Lobster - Check out the nutritional menu values on the website.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out often because I don't trust the stats. I like to be in control of what I'm making and measure it myself. I feel they eyeball servings. We go to a restaurant less than once a month, sometimes 3-4 months. Instead we get lean cuts of steak to grill, and I make salad, sweet potatoes or steamed broccoli. It's just something I learned to give up right away because there just isn't good stuff out there, especially "fast food." Everything is "white" - bread, wraps, etc. It's just not a good idea.

This ^^^. You can also ask for substitutes... for example, if you order an omelette with hash browns or breakfast potatoes, ask for sliced tomato instead of potatoes and don't eat the toast (or have one piece without butter/jelly). Always ask for water. It cuts your appetite.