Simple Changes that Last?

Options
Hi there,
So... Today made me really realize that I want to be and now am devoted to this change in lifestyle. I am REALLY going to give it my all... consistently. What changes have you made that have caused weight loss and are easy to stick to? Any help would be appreciated :)

Even small tips and tidbits of information are welcome!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    If you're going to snack, eat something healthy (vegetables and nuts are good options). My personal favorite is pistachios, in shells, dusted with garlic or chili-lime powder. Since they're in shells, you pretty much have to eat them one at a time, and you tend to want to suck on the shells before cracking them to get the flavor off, so it takes a long time to eat even a small portion, but you don't feel deprived. Remember, this is a long term problem, and it needs a long term solution. Don't focus too much on day to day fluctuations. Track your body measurements with a tape measure (once a week to once a month, depending on your preferences) since that will give you better feedback. Good luck.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Drinking a ton of water. I know some people say it doesn't matter but it works for me! :drinker:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller portions.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Plants plants plants! Eat lots of them!
  • imaloverkayla
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat things you hate just because they are healthy. You won't do it, and when you do you'll be so miserable that you'll give up and just get cheesecake. Find healthy foods that you really like and it won't be a challenge because you'll WANT to eat them. If you hate broccoli, don't eat the damn broccoli. Healthy food should be delicious too.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have to limit my breads and pastas and rice because they make me want more. I'm never satisfied with one portion of them, so I avoid them. That doesn't mean I never eat them, but I try to use lower calorie bread, whole grain pasta, and brown rice - all sparingly. Good luck and I hope you stay motivated.
  • coshla19
    coshla19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Prepping meals and snacks had made a big difference for me. It was so much easier to open a bag of chips rather than slice a cucumber and some chips. Having prepared snacks helps!

Also, switching to seltzer from soda!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    This helped me the most: Don't get discouraged if you go over your target... one day won't mess things up, and since you're most likely at a deficit, going over the MFP target likely won't mean anything. Plus, you can always make up for it by working out.

Edited for typo.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Eat when you are truly hungry. Many people tend to eat out of boredom, stress, etc.
  • JEMQuilter
    JEMQuilter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Other than an occasional glass of wine, I don't drink any calories. I drink lots and lots of water. I log everything into MFP. And I agree, if I don't like it, I don't eat if even if it's "good" for me. It's a journey!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Once you realize that there is no particular food off limits, it helps you feel like you're not deprived. You just have to plan ahead a bit to include those foods every now and then and adjust your other meals to fit it into your daily calories, etc. I think the mentality of "I can never have that again" sets you up for possible failure. And to truly realize you have control over how you handle things makes those tougher days a bit easier to handle...and that being "perfect" isn't the end. Good luck!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    in order for any physical lifestyle changes to be "easy", you have to make changes to your mental approach. people underestimate, or don't think about, that part of the journey....but its the part of the journey that determines if you succeed.

sooooo....write down the things that you HATE about being overweight. dig deep and write down those things that really gnaw at you. read that list every day .... and every time that you are struggling. Its not exactly a simple task, but its one that will help make the physical lifestyle changes easier to follow for the long term.

as for the physical changes, you need to adopt a plan that you believe YOU can follow. There are a ton of ways to do the physical part. You have to do something that you think you can stick with. I will tell you some of the things that work for me. Doesn't mean that any of them will work for you.

1. drink 12-16 cups of water. it makes a difference because when you're properly hydrated, your liver doesn't need to help your kidneys...meaning the liver can focus on digesting food. when it comes to fat loss, that's a pretty important function.

2. I don't cut out processed foods, but I limit them ... sometimes pretty severely. I aim for lean protein, healthy fats and carbs with a low glycemic index value (and not because I'm diabetic...I'm not....its because low GI carbs don't trigger an insulin spike...read my blog about insulin vs. glucagon to understand why you want to limit insulin spikes).

3. I believe in the mental and physical benefits of intermittent 24 hour fasting. Read my blog about my experience with it. Its not for everyone, but its something most people can do if they believe that they can. I wouldn't fast if I allowed myself to struggle with it. Wouldn't be worth it.

4. I have found relatively short, very efficient workouts...and most of them could be categorized as HIIT. I also do metabolic resistance training (which is supersets with non-competing muscles). I like bodyrock.tv (now dailyhiit.com)...and I like Craig Ballantyne's Turbulence Training principals. Saying this, I know that roughly 90% of my fat loss mission depends on what I eat so I try to focus on the food part mostly. There are benefits to exercise....but there can be drawbacks (like not giving your body proper time to recover). Saying this, I believe in rest and recovery days.
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love this question!

- I bring a big bowl of raw vegetables and some fruit to work everyday and snack on it throughout the morning: carrots, cucumber slices, bell pepper slices, celery, cauliflower, strawberries, a half an apple. I used to bring hummus to dip my veggies in, but I realized I didn't need it, I got used to just eating the veggies.

- Also at work, in the afternoon, I run run/walk stairs for a few minutes then go walk around the block, it's about 12 minutes away from my desk, and burns about 100 calories.

- I get some type of movement everyday, aside from my workouts (and my office workouts), in an attempt to have a more active lifestyle: walk my toddler to the park and play, take walk around the neighborhood, gardening, cleaning, stretches/yoga, stroll around a museum or the entertainment district in my town on weekends. When my child gets older I plan on playing lots of frisbee and catch!

- I have found that measuring and weighing food is one of the keys to successful healthy living, and after a few weeks you won't have to measure and weigh most things -- you will be able to eyeball it, you will start to know your portions.

- The "old me" used to get derailed by a heavy meal or a couple days of eating badly. The "new me" just hops right back on track because it is a lifestyle change and after sticking with it for a while (18 months in my case) it just becomes habit.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Make junk food from scratch. You can still have it, but now it takes more effort to snack on, and home made versions are generally healthier than store bought. Take, for example: Whole wheat pizza with skim milk mozz at 150 calories per slice instead of 300. Or black bean brownie with banana instead of oil at 158 calories per piece. I no longer WANT pizza more than once a week, because it's so much work to make the dough... But when I do, it's good, and still actually pretty good for me. Because it's real food without a bunch of extra sugar and salt that are only in there to make me eat more.
  • AndorZensko
    AndorZensko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tracking what I eat
    cutting down to 1 soda a week
    exercising/moving more
    keeping snacks out of the kitchen
    giving myself controlled goodies
  • lpkitty
    lpkitty Posts: 45
    Options
    For me it is smaller portions and walking at least 10,000 steps a day.
  • kugelette
    kugelette Posts: 25
    Options
    Drop soda. If you go out to eat and you order a soda, after a refill or two you've basically drank your entire caloric allotment for that meal. As someone mentioned above, drink water!!! Don't think that drinking diet soda is harmless - just look at all the garbage they put in there! And artificial sweeteners still train your body to crave sweets.

Have healthy snacks that are ready to be consumed whenever you want them. I'm more apt to cheat if I can't just go to the cupboard and snag something healthy. Fruits, veggies, nuts, yogurt, etc all make good quick snack-grabs.

If you live in a place that allows it, take advantage of the summer time, and GRILL! Hard to grill bad-for-you foods. :) You can grill veggies, chicken, fish, lean meats - you can even grill fruits for a low-cal dessert. Grilling is SO easy and relatively quick, it takes the effort out of eating healthy.
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    My tips are to learn, learn, learn, by doing/trying, reflect what works for you and your journey. Make small changes. We have built up habits that we need to replace with healthier ones. Also have patience. We all want to see the immediate rewards and get that gratifiation of seeing the number go down on the scale but sometimes we just have to be patient. Also the scale will fluctuate due to lots of reasons, sodium, time of the month. digestion.
    My tips are First and foremost "Trust in the process, because it does take time, but if you feel like your doing all the right things which are the items below then you will lose in time.
    1) drinking plenty of water 64 oz or more
    2) cutting the sugar/ eating less processed/ eating more whole foods
    3) working out 3-5 times a week ( different videos, exercises keep your body guessing " because if it doesnt challenge you it doesnt change you "
    4) watching portions/calories if body is not reacting cant budge the pounds dont restrict too low of calories maybe up the calories.
    Also we won't be perfect on this journey so to stay on track when you feel discouraged. I am like a mad woman collecting inspirational quotes and read them over and over.

Everytime I hear or read one I type it in a word document and list them so I can reference them for extra motivation when I am down. Here they go

"Tough times don't last, tough people do. "

"Being overweight and out of shape is difficult; losing weight and getting in shape is difficult. Pick your 'difficult.'"

"IF it doesnt challenge you it doesnt change you "

"Begin while others make excuses. Do it while others are wishing. Persist while others are quitting."

"Nice bodies aren't given, there earned. You don't wish for them, you work for them "

"your mind will quit a thousand times before your body will
    dont give up because the end results will be worth it turst me"

"if your tired of starting over stop giving up"

"If i dont change than nothings going to change"

"the question is not can you its will you"

"successful people are not people who never failed its people who never gave up"

"your body is a reflection of your state of mind lazy mind lazy body"

"no one said it was going to be easy but it will be well worth it. "

"Weightloss is not temporary unless I do something about it!"

"only the same person will become obese again"

"nothing is guaranteed except change"

"we are all a work in progress"

"everything in life worth having is worth fighting for"

"don't give up on something you can't go a minute without thinking about"

"keep fighting for your happiness because everyone deserves to be and feel happy"

"comparison is the theif of joy" ellanor roosevelt
    as soon as you start comparing your self to others you start self doubting. it diminishes that light that success, from the scale
    the people your close too you might question yourself am I good enough? Will I get there/to goal?

I Don't know the authors, sorry but I have borrowed many from profiles on here, and youtube people I follow.

Just don't give up because quitters never win, and winners never quit.
    You can do it! Take and seek advice try it but at the end of the day do what works for your journey.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    No soda! Been soda free for 8 years here. If I try to drink it, it actually hurts!
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking sweet tea and soda all the time -- I have a glass or two of tea now and then, soda very rarely if ever. We try to eat home cooked meals more often and are cutting out or cutting down on boxed foods and frozen convenience foods. Eating out still happens but not nearly as often as we used to. We focus on whole foods, not cutting out anything really, just watching portion sizes when we indulge in some things. More veggies. And if nothing else, I walk most days. Focus on one or two things at a time till they become second nature, then work on another area. :smile: