New to the gym

Options
Ok so I have a gym membership, I have had it for about four months and have gone once. *shameface* I know I know. My only excuse is that one time I worked with a trainer. Afterwards and I had to sit on the bathroom floor and try my hardest not to be sick.
ANYWAYS,
I was wondering if there would be anyone out there who could give me a simple yet effective routine to try. I suck at exercising. I can't even walk seven flights of stairs without losing my breath. And this typically makes me want to give up... However I have vacation to the beach coming up Aug 30th and I want to lose weight and get in shape... Can anyone help me?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Who can walk up SEVEN flights of stairs without getting winded? :tongue:

I would start a combination of cardio and strength training. Cardio you have a myriad of choices that I will leave up to you. Just pick something you can tolerate.

For strength training, read up on beginner programs and start learning all that you can.

Popular programs:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

Read all you can, knowledge is power. And when doing any type of strength training exercise, remember that using proper form is by far the most important thing.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I agree with whierd, start a strength training program and lift as heavy as you can, while on a slight calorie deficit diet. You'll burn bodyfat while building lean muscle. And take pictures/measurements, so you can visually see your progress. Good luck!
  • kellicarter11
    kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look into it.