Would love some encouraging friends!

Options
Hello! My name is Natalie. I have had MFP for a while now, but only recently started really committing to it. I have a few friends, and that has helped me stay on track more. I don't think I have enough friends though, so I'm hoping to make more. I would love friends that will encourage and push me so that I can really get off my butt on those days when I feel I just can't, lol.

A little about me: I am 30, from Chicago, in a civil union with the love of my life, and have a nearly 7 y.o. son who I love with all my heart. I am at my heaviest now. I have not been thin since I hit puberty. I worked from the time I was 14 to 26, when I lost my bank job when all those banks were going bankrupt. So I became a stay at home mom. I got really depressed when that happened because I never had to depend on anyone for money. From the time I turned 14, I never asked my parents for money. I was raised with a strong work ethic, and I was proud to earn my money, so I just figured, if I'm making my own money, why would I take money from them when they can use it for household expenses. So, yeah. I got really down when I lost my job. And I started taking care of my 2 month old niece when my sis went back to work, So I spent all day sleeping with the baby, and when she ate, I ate, and then we slept some more. That is when I started gaining weight.

I am 260 lbs. When I lost my job I was 185, which is still overweight for my 5"4' frame, but at least it wasn't 260. I don't want to lose weight to look good, I want to lose weight to feel and be healthy, and to set a good example to my son and niece. I don't want food to become an enemy for them like it has for me.

Enough about me :) I hope I can reach out and make some new friends. Feel free to tell me your story, I would love to read more about you.

Replies

• KayleneGraves
    KayleneGraves Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Natalie!

Your story was really inspiring. I have had a MFT for a few months now (Wow, probably close to 8 or 9 months), but at my last doctors visit, I decided to start to really commit to my health. My doctor mentioned this app, and already having it, I decided to give it another try (along with some other apps). I've heard from countless people that the best way to loose weight is to have people there to encourage you.

Now a little about me: I am 19, from Salt Lake City. I'm in college planning to go into human development. I've noticed that the last few months, I have started to feel really sluggish and unhappy with my appearance and the way I feel. I am currently 145 (or 147...depends on the scale). I am 5"2'. I am aiming for 125-130. And I would love to have some support.

Hope to hear for you soon!

-Kaylene
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm a soon-to-be 30-year-old and stay-at-home-auntie. I started this when my youngest niece was born. I didn't want my niece and now her younger brother to remember me fat (at least not 300-pounds fat).

My starting weight was 287-pounds (and 5-foot tall), it's challenging and it makes me want to scream somedays but I'm so glad I started doing this and I'll never give up again (I did give up last summer, I promise you it's not something you ever want to do!) I'm struggling a little right now but I am so much better off than I was 18-months ago. I have so far to go but the changes that have taken place in that time are freaking awesome.

I have a physical disability so I struggle a lot with exercise but I do as much as I can and somedays when the only good thing I do is get out of bed or log my food. I remember that's still a victory.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. You can add me as your friend. I am 52, single mom ( divorced) to an adult son with asperger's. We all have our stresses to deal with, I've been here for almost two weeks and I love it. Best advice I got from someone here is " trust the program"
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me :) been on here almost three years. XO
  • natp1982
    natp1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding. It is great to know I am not alone in this journey. I loved reading your stories, and it is great to see that you are doing well on this program.

I joined a gym today, yay! So I should be getting to bed soon in order to wake up in the morning and go, lol. I'm just a tad excited and I don't know if I can sleep, haha!
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    have fun with it! remember its a lifestyle change and a journey.. not a quick fix and everything will work out awesome! i'm excited for you!
  • remmylady1
    remmylady1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there Natalie, Which part of the Chicago area are you from. I have a couple of amazing friends that live in the area.
  • Lovelyloralee
    Lovelyloralee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Natalie! I'm 44 and 've been on MFP for about two and a half months and this is the first time in over 15 years I have actually been successful. For the first time ever - I am doing my journey the right way - slow and steady and making true lifestyle choices/changes. I have a lot more to lose than you do and I am working on my first goal of losing 10# of my original body weight - I am 12 #'s away from that goal. My next one will be to weigh under 300 #'s. I see myself being there by the middle of August and if I do great and if not - as long as I am healthier - I am succeeding in my journey.

I haven't been doing this for long I know but I already feel much better eating cleaner. Today was a tough day and I am feeling it now.

Please feel free to add me if you would like - let's do this together!!!
  • natp1982
    natp1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am from the west side, close to Midway Airport.
  • dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'4" too....and started out at 268. I have been at this a little over a month now, and I am down to 249. I'm currently in nursing school, so I can relate to stress. Feel free to add me. :)
  • redfro2
    redfro2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I just joined. I'm 43 tomorrow and have decided that, by joining MFP, I will be officially starting my birthday resolution. I've been seeing the weight come on gradually over the past few years. Blamed it on my meds...blamed it on hormones...blamed it on...well, everything but bad choices and being lazy. Not anymore.
  • dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I just joined. I'm 43 tomorrow and have decided that, by joining MFP, I will be officially starting my birthday resolution. I've been seeing the weight come on gradually over the past few years. Blamed it on my meds...blamed it on hormones...blamed it on...well, everything but bad choices and being lazy. Not anymore.

You sound just like me. I'm 43 and I have been playing that blame game for several years now. No more!! You can add me if you want.
  • fierydeluge
    Options
    Hello Natalie! I can truly relate to your story. I'm a 30 year old geologist and very much on the heavy side. I was at 280 lbs when I made my account here in MFP after deciding I had enough and enrolled myself to a nearby gym. Even before I wanted to lose weight but couldn't keep myself motivated until a health scare a few months before signing up to MFP.

I am hypertensive, and my health was down the drain. But it wasn't only my health that was being affected. I was struggling with my job and with the relationships I have from family to friends. I feel rejected whenever they insist I lose weight.

But now I'm down to 245 lbs. The rejection I felt become my motivation to be able to be a part of their lives as they have mine. Only now do I realise what they were trying to do for me. I feel better now and have set minor goals to accomplish along with losing the weight. I'll be running a 3K marathon this july before my birthday and hopefully I can reach my 230 lbs goal by then.

Let's do this! I know we'd be able to.
  • annaclee2003
    Options
    add me .. add me - just kidding. I have been on this since March 1. Started at 216 and now down to 185. Been heavy all my life. Like you, I am 5'4. I have committed myself to faithful logging. In addition, I have been eating "better foods" and committed myself to 30 minutes of exercise a day. Any additional exercise is a bonus. You can do it This site holds me accountable and I try very hard to be faithful/log everything. Good luck
  • Ioskies
    Ioskies Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, Natalie! I'd love to help support you on your journey!
  • Chickyjd
    Chickyjd Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would love some new buddies that actually comment, offer support and advice... I'm all for offering friendship, advice and support but would actually like some feedback occasionally, as occasionally I need a kick in the butt! ;-) xx
  • holliddd
    holliddd Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me if you would like. I am 32 and a stay at home mom. I also do in home daycare. I have been doing myfitnesspal for a few years now. My fourth baby is now one and a half so I decided I have no excuses I need to get focused and get into shape. I want energy to play and keep up with my kids:)
  • paigemulroe
    paigemulroe Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'd love to help support you and get support back too, I'll be sure to add you and anyone else can feel free to add me too!!
  • andreabrabham
    andreabrabham Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If anyone would like to add me, feel free. I am addicted to this site and always aim to motivate and support :)
  • ravebloodnymph
    ravebloodnymph Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm glad you're committing to the site more! Joining this site has been an awesome decision for me. It's only my third day, but I'm positive that I'm going to finally lose weight with this site!