Cheesecake Factory is why we are fat!

Options
My fiancée and I went to Cheesecake Factory last night and I thought we did a pretty good job until I logged in the food this morning. I can't BELIEVE how many calories are in EVERYTHING at cheesecake factory. We split everything we ordered and even then still had leftovers and I still ate over 2,000 in one meal!!!!
Their portions are insanely large. We got a guacamole appetizer, I knew this would be high in fat but decided to get in anyway. There were probably 4 avocados in this dip! Total calories about 1700!! I ate about 1/3 of the order.
Then entree we got the wasabi encrusted Miso Salmon, we didn't eat much of the rice but still according to this website and others I checked that put us back around 600 calories each!!
Finally we split a piece of cheesecake, we didn't finish it but I am guessing another 300-400 calories!
That place is always SUPER crowded, the one near my in-laws house always has a 1-2 HOUR wait!
I don't plan on returning anytime soon, I should have know when their light dishes started at 600 calories...
Any recommendations for eating healthy at these types of restaurants...other than super human will power or not going??

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory is (sadly) one of the worst restaurants that you could try ... I personally avoid at all costs, and if I get invited by a friend, I'll have a salad with lemon juice and olive oil or something similar. Pretty miserable, huh?:ohwell:
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I have a cheat meal I only cheat for a portion of the meal. So if I wanted the Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake I would order a salad, no cheese, no croutons, oil and vinegar on the side and then split the cheese cake. Or if you want to have an unhealthy entree skip dessert altogether. It works and when you leave you will feel satisfied and accomplished in that you stuck to your guns.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Seriously! Restaurants in general are awful--everything cooked in beaucoup butter (of course, that is why it tastes good), and portion sized for 20 year-old male athletes! You did a lot of the smartest things you can--eating fish, splitting portions. Would have been smarter to skip the appetizer, I guess. But how can you go to a place called "Cheesecake Factory" without eating Cheesecake? Yeah. Probably better not to go there, I guess.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Any place you eat out will be this.. the sooner you learn to eat at home :)
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    Not preaching but odd how The 7 Deadly Sins so attribute to our NOT-well-being!

"Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires."

I totally agree and the destruction began with all-you-can-eat buffets! People in the US specifically feel that money spent should equal portion...wrong...money spent should equal quality NOT quantity!
  • purpleprose
    Options

I really disagree with this - chains like Chili's and Applebees have fairly great low-cal, low-fat meals on their menus, and they are very tasty. Chick-fil-a even has a couple of really good options. It's preparation, though - if you know you're going out, research the nutrition facts ahead of time.

And not learning how to eat out is dangerous to long-term success. How are you going to avoid meals out forever?
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to learn to eat at home. I would hope we already know how to eat at home. On a weight loss journey you will encounter many challenges and you can either overcome them or you can 'eat at home'.

This has to be a lifestyle so unless you want to become a recluse I would suggest learning to eat out. Go out tonight and make it your goal to order and eat clean while you are out.

Go for grilled, broiled, or baked.
    Dressing on the side or oil and vinegar.
    Skip the appetizer and dessert.
    Control alcohol intake.
    Choose steamed veggies over a potato or rice.
    Order broth based soups.
    Don't get a loaded baked potato... just get a potato and put a little salt on it.
    Avoid mashed potatoes as they are usually full of fatty butter and heavy cream.
    Choose chicken breast over chicken wings.
    Choose sirloin over rib-eye or t-bone.

Check out the menu before you go and plan, plan, plan.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

I really disagree with this - chains like Chili's and Applebees have fairly great low-cal, low-fat meals on their menus, and they are very tasty. Chick-fil-a even has a couple of really good options. It's preparation, though - if you know you're going out, research the nutrition facts ahead of time.

And not learning how to eat out is dangerous to long-term success. How are you going to avoid meals out forever?

I am broke thats how! Applebees does have a low cal menu, but still loaded with sodium, a 350 cal salad has 1700mg of sodium, and its just lettuce and chicken.
    I eat out mainly now where we wanna go, about once every week or two and then usually on the day I have a hard workout so I burn off any calories.
    But the majority of chain restaurants except for those with a few good items like appleees or chickfila (mostly fried and super high in sodium) use real butter, oils and sprays, a basic meal of just burgers etc are still over 1500 cals. ITs always best to eat at home.

Its not the restaurants making us fat, if we as people didnt go there, they wouldnt be there, its people not knowing how to eat is what makes us fat
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I agree! CF is one of the worst places! I recall going there just before starting MFP and had a salad.. I was flabbergasted at how many calories their lowfat salad was when I looked it up here. Same with Olive Garden! This is why places like that are fighting posting calorie counts on their menu.. Really, dieting or not would anyone in their rght mind knowingly eat a 2000 cal meal in one serving?? My sons are thin and I'd be concerned about all that fat for their hearts! Now Im in the habit of looking up foods on here before we go out so I have a better idea of what NOT to order:)
  • purpleprose
    Options

I am broke thats how! Applebees does have a low cal menu, but still loaded with sodium, a 350 cal salad has 1700mg of sodium, and its just lettuce and chicken.
    I eat out mainly now where we wanna go, about once every week or two and then usually on the day I have a hard workout so I burn off any calories.
    But the majority of chain restaurants except for those with a few good items like appleees or chickfila (mostly fried and super high in sodium) use real butter, oils and sprays, a basic meal of just burgers etc are still over 1500 cals. ITs always best to eat at home.

Its not the restaurants making us fat, if we as people didnt go there, they wouldnt be there, its people not knowing how to eat is what makes us fat

Of course sodium isn't that great for you, but I'd rather have 1700 mg of sodium (something I can deal with by drinking a lot of water) than 2000 calories and oodles of fat grams.

I'm not disagreeing that it's not best to eat at home, because it is, but to say that you should never eat out is unrealistic and not particularly helpful, in my opinion. And kind of ironic, given that you just said you ate out every week or two!!!!

Those meals out just need to be planned for with exercise and good eating earlier in the day as well as researching menu options ahead of time. I eat out with my family frequently, but I prepare for it so I'm not surprised with a 2000 calorie meal like the poor OP was!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

You can have a meal that's just as bad at home.

We go out so rarely that when we do go it is very much a cheat meal.

...and you can get healthy choices at some chains.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I asked the waitress for an order of something and 3 extra plates. She said there is a sharing charge. I asked her if she would pay for my heart bypass operation when I ate 6000 calories in one sitting? I pointed out if they are going to serve 'family' style plates, then they should provide addl plates for a normal serving.

I was ordering a small salad for each of us, an appetizer, 4 drinks (3 alcoholic so quite expensive) and this one plate of food. I had to call over the manager and again point out the servings are monsterous and he had 2 choices:
    1. Allow us to share with no charge
    2. Lose a $100 check to the place down the street.

He chose the #1, and did so with grace. I spoke with him upon leaving and said I didn't mean to cause such a fuss, but really no one can or should eat that much food at one sitting and a smaller order choice would be nice.

I have not been back since. Nor do I go to Olive Garden or Red Lobster.........the sodium and fat in their foods are outragous.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory is not why we are fat WE ARE. :cry: Not saying that in a mean way. That being said you must know there is no sure way to not eat bad at these restaurants other than avoidance. We have to have self control for our eating habits to change. Eat to live-NOT live to eat.
  • smilingsam
    Options
    My sister (who has an amazing body, but works very hard for it) before she goes to a restaurant she gets on the web and looks up the menu and knows what to order or not to order before she goes. Even before she goes shopping she will look up fastfood places in the area to see where is the best place to go. She has wonderful willpower and will cheat ever so often but on a daily basis she follows this routine. Salads are very deceiving "Wendys" salads are mainly 600 cals or more! better to get a kids meal! But at alot of restaurants the kids meals can be as high as 1200 and enough fat for 2 days. example Chili's chicken tenders kids meal. Also the book "Eat this not That" is great to keep in the car for unexpected restaurant stops. A lot of Restaurants will not have a nutritional guide but there is so many good sites (like this one) that will give you the info you need. Just remember never to assume just because it looks healthy it is. Remember what assuming does... hehehe
  • smilingsam
    Options
    My sister (who has an amazing body, but works very hard for it) before she goes to a restaurant she gets on the web and looks up the menu and knows what to order or not to order before she goes. Even before she goes shopping she will look up fastfood places in the area to see where is the best place to go. She has wonderful willpower and will cheat ever so often but on a daily basis she follows this routine. Salads are very deceiving "Wendys" salads are mainly 600 cals or more! better to get a kids meal! But at alot of restaurants the kids meals can be as high as 1200 and enough fat for 2 days. example Chili's chicken tenders kids meal. Also the book "Eat this not That" is great to keep in the car for unexpected restaurant stops. A lot of Restaurants will not have a nutritional guide but there is so many good sites (like this one) that will give you the info you need. Just remember never to assume just because it looks healthy it is. Remember what assuming does... hehehe
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory is not why we are fat WE ARE. :cry: Not saying that in a mean way. That being said you must know there is no sure way to not eat bad at these restaurants other than avoidance. We have to have self control for our eating habits to change. Eat to live-NOT live to eat.

Well in my opinion the way the food industry serves our meals in such large quanities is so they can charge the high prices they do. I have been in the industry for almost 40 years.

We would bring out a big basket of garlic rolls to get ppls mouths watering and really pile on the pasta........why? Because they are cheap.

People are talking, drinkign and eating and they assume this is the portion they should be finishing up.

I mean, yes, WE are responsible for what we do, but in this society the huge portions laden with fat and sodium make it impossible to join in with family and friends and not yell out DONT EAT ALL THAT!!! :laugh:
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been to America a few times, and I have to say that the portions in restaurants are unbelievable. It's obscene and any time I've ordered something and a huge portion arrives, it actually puts me off eating it.

Here in the UK, restaurants have much smaller portions and a tendency to have healthier foods available. That's what I've found anyway. I find it quite easy to eat out now.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Chhesecake factory portions are OBSCENE! I went there once when my friend was doing an internship in DC, and I ordered what I thought would be a lighter option - the linguine with garlic king prawns. Now I'm a big eater, and I ate all I could of that big pile of pasta and asked for a doggy bag. Then I ate the leftovers over the next 3 days for breakfast and lunch. I never wanted to see another plate of linguine ever again after that!

Ugh, you actually feel sick!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    The restaurant industry is out there to make money. They are not obligated to cater to particular dietary exchanges. The choices are ours to make as to where we eat, what we put in our mouth and how much we put in our mouth. IT is about choices that we make and the responsibility is ours. Yes, it would be nice if all restaurants served reasonable portions and posted their nutritional values, but you can't blame the industry on individual choices. We can each choose where we go to eat and what we put in our shopping cart.
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I actually went there as a farewell to eating out and eating heavy just a few weeks ago. I found their portions to be large but not much different from any other resturaunts. I am on the fence as to wether to stop eating out all together or just moderation. I have observed the people in the same resturaunts that I am in and notice a size resemblance. The real eye opener is to go to a buffet and look at the people there. I tell myself that could be me if I dont get under control and when I eat out I am not under control very often. But with a busy lifestyle there is no way I could change overnight from easting out to eating at home.