Holidays with the in-laws - FEEDERS!

Options
Ok, so I exaggerate a tiny amount, but only that much. I have a week's self-catering holiday coming up with my in-laws who (I am very fortunate to be able to say) are the nicest, sweetest and adorable people.

My mum-in-law is a life long devotee to motherhood and is guaranteed to be fussing over everyone and cooking up a storm. The more she can do for everyone, the more deliriously happy she is. However, if you don't let her, she actually gets quite upset.

The hard bit is, yes, she's a bit of a feeder. Unless you're asleep or green at the gills, she will feed and feed and feed and will not take the answer "no dessert for me, thanks". So much so, I am terrified of this week away. I'm either going to undo everything I've just restarted or I'm going to be the devil's child.

I've told my OH and, while he's normally enormously supportive, he laughs and says "you can have a week off".

GAH!!!!

I'm really not sure there's much I can do ... maybe I just needed a vent?! :ohwell:

Replies

• Need2lose456
    Need2lose456 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, i would say portion control and then lots of physical activities to burn it off :) Goodluck!
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. Plus they get upset if you don't drink alcohol!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i agree with the portion control and some exercise. aim to maintain for the week and i'm sure you'll be fine!

suggest some healthier meals, and salads and stuff for lunch, or offer to go shopping for some of the food while you're away then you can get some good stuff.

i never count a single calorie when i am on holiday!!
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    AT my house we call this a "Food pusher". My mother in law is one also, but she doesn't cook she pushes goodies. Cookies, cakes, brownies, Danish and sweet you can imagine she is constantly asking if you want something, or let me get you a little treat. I have had to learn to take my own snacks with me when we visit. To give her credit after 10 years she finally is getting the hint, well that and my husband, bless his heart - has told her he wants fruits to snack on. She wants to please him so she does get that.

You have to be firm with them, nice but firm. Talk to her, more than likely she will understand. If she doesn't then shame on her.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem and I am going to stay with them in Spain in about a week. I used to not like to offend and just take whatever was offered but I have worked way too hard to get slimmer and I am not going to let anyone ruin it so I just stick to my guns now and say no! She may be a bit offended at first but (like my MIL) she will get used to it. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Same issue at holidays with my parents and at in-laws. But... I told them that I had to eat differently sinceI was not sleeping and having hot flashes from too much sugar - then I inform them that carbs convert to sugar etc. I just say no every time and repeat the "I need to sleep and don't want to have hot flashes and feel terrible during our visit"!!! I actually went to grocery and got more veggies and had a big salad at dinner with 4-6 ounces of whatever protein was made for their dinner.

I also went on-line and got free passes to local gyms. Once again, I tell the relatives that this is essential for my sleep and feeling good. I then put on exercise clothes and leave!!!

The first time you say this, they will try to make you change your mind but... continue to tell them "Thx but this is working for me and I feel soooo much better"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Tough one. First I'd try and make sure that they're aware that you're trying to lose weight first! Then yes, portion control. A bit of everything, and don't feel obligated to finish your plate.

Good luck.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about portion sizes and extra exercise. If you really must take extra food to appease your MIL, is there a dog or a napkin that can help you out?