Your progress without alcohol

Options

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Life without alcohol is a better life though.

the-hand.gif

Like anything else it comes down to calories in and calories out imo. Alcohol can easily put you over cals of course, but I don't think once in awhile is a huge issue. Especially if you are still in a sustained caloric deficit.

For example - I went out on Friday because a close friend was moving across the country next day. We got white-girl wasted. I still lost weight last week because even with the night of debauchery I had a caloric deficit for the week. I probably won't drink for awhile now either so I don't see an issue.

Our night of drinking was probably more harmful to her drive the next day than my diet :laugh:

Also obligatory LeanGains alcohol post (great read):
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I dont think i have had a drink in probably 6 months or so. I normally am not a huge drinker, and i normally only have 1 beer if i go out (i have no use for a DUI in my life).

plus im big enough a goofball without the addition of alcohol
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Giving up alcohol was the first big step in changing my lifestyle. I lost 20 lbs just by not drinking over a period of a year. Then I added in eating healthier then incorporated exercise. I have gone from 144 and 33% body fat to 108 and 19% body fat.

Alcohol, in moderation, is not unhealthy, BUT moderation is a lot less than what people think it is. I am not capable of moderation. I would start out thinking, just one glass. Then I would think, well, they say that 2 glasses a day is okay. By the time I am done with the second, I am thinking, okay, I am 2 in, a third will not hurt. After my third I come to the brilliant conclusion there is no reason to leave one glass of wine left in the bottle, may as well finish it off. THEN, I make bad food choices before I go to bed then I would justify bad choices the next day because I swore that was going to be the lasts time I did that.:laugh:

There is really nothing but good that will come out of not drinking for a month. But if you find that you are obsessing on the fact that you are not drinking, or think about alcohol a great deal during this time. You may want to consider why that is.

Good luck. If you need help with motivation during these next 4 weeks, feel free to reach out to me.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I just hear so much that alcohol hinders the process of fat burning regardless of being in a deficit. For me binge drinking once a week is a lot.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    I just hear so much that alcohol hinders the process of fat burning regardless of being in a deficit. For me binge drinking once a week is a lot.

It has been my experience that 6 weeks is how long it takes to start noticing a change. If you can do it for 2 months, you may be able to see a difference, especially in your face. All it takes is wrapping your head around the fact that fun can be had with out alcohol. Which is easier said than done. I will promise you this, you will NEVER EVER regret waking up after a night of not binge drinking and regret it, ever.
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    I used to drink a light beer or glass of wine every night with my dinner, but after counting calories and seeing how many calories this takes up, I decided to stop. It's been about 4months and I personally don't miss not having alcohol and would rather reserve those cals for something good to eat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drank wine with dinner every day while losing and while maintaining the loss. I've just started trying to lose some more and now I'm only drinking on weekends, but I haven't noticed any change in weight loss. The change was for personal reasons not weight related.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Yeah I am a social drinker as well and find that it effects how much exercise I can do the next day etc. I have decided to cut it out completely for June but that's because I know for me personally, it will help me train better, harder, longer ... it doesn't effect everyone the same way though. I just know it hinders me exercise wise :frown:
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been losing on average 8lbs a month with maybe one beer a month. I drank this passed two weekends in a row and didn't lose crap. All I know is it shouldn't be done in excess and frequently.
  • curtdfw
    curtdfw Posts: 1
    Options
    I've haven't noticed a difference minus alcohol unless it gets in the way of dragging my butt out of bed to get the the gym. The key to my 31 lb. drop has been cutting sugar out of my diet.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I've heard it slows down your metabolism. I feel like I've gained a bunch since I started drinking more frequently. But that being said I feel like when I drink, I HAVE TO eat carby greasy food so I don't get sick so Im sure it goes hand in hand.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 2-3 beers a night 5 times a week and the days I wasn't drinking beer I was drinking wine or some cocktail. For the last month I've limited myself to only drinking on the weekends (Saturday and Sunday only). And on the weeks when I've goofed and drank during the week I haven't drank on the weekend at all. Since then I've lost 10lbs. I work 2 jobs and when I came home from work I would grab a beer or 2 to unwind. Now I grab my running shoes, or a workout tape and wear myself out! It's been an awesome change for me. But make no mistake momma still gets it in on the weekends. I just make sure I have enough calories to be a deficit at the end of the week.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I've haven't noticed a difference minus alcohol unless it gets in the way of dragging my butt out of bed to get the the gym. The key to my 31 lb. drop has been cutting sugar out of my diet.

Yes, this ^^ Limiting added sugars made a bigger difference for me than anything else I've done diet related.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    For me it makes a big difference, not so much because of the added calories from the alcohol but it stimulates my appetite and I tend to eat more. Even a small amount will make me want to eat everything in sight. If this happens to you I would think you will see at least a small difference in your overall calorie intake and hopefully lose some extra weight.:drinker:
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Alcohol really demotivates me. And when I drink, I tend to eat bad foods that night and the next day. I dont feel like working out the next day either because I have a hangover. I feel sooo much better and get much better workouts when I refrain from alcohol. Now, I need to buck up and challenge myself to be alcohol free for a while. We usually seem to drink every weekend. :/
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

Alcohol IS sugar. It is what alcoholics with the DTs are craving. It is the sugar in the alcohol. Many people do not realize that.
  • Pierced
    Pierced Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What I have noticed ( and do myself) in social scenes is how many bottles of Mio Liquid , or ICE flavored water is being brought in the bar to add to drinks or use for mixers. That way you are not getting the calories from the mixer (juice or soda). Few weeks ago I was sitting with a friend at a bar on a Friday night and looking around and noticed 3 bottles of Mio sitting next to drinks. Most popular seem to be vodka & water with flavor of choice of Mio, or Vodka with your own ICE flavored water ( the blackberry mixes very well with vodka????) stopped the drinking alcohol for over 8 weeks. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. I would drink Ice tea.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Alcohol IS sugar. It is what alcoholics with the DTs are craving. It is the sugar in the alcohol. Many people do not realize that.

Alcohol is not processed by your body the same as other sugars. And no, when someone is an alcoholic their cravings will not be appeased by an oreo.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    At this point in time I still do my 'binge drinking' on the weekends (mostly just Saturday).. Being I am 28 and all my friends drink like fish, it's quite difficult to get together with them without booze around. However, back about two yrs ago when I started working out religiously and really was watching what I ate, I did cut booze out for a good two months. I truly believed it helped with my weight loss. I lost about 10-15 pounds from January to May. Now that I am back to going overboard with the booze on Saturdays, I believe its stalled my weight loss. I gained those 10-15 pounds back, and I really do think booze has something to do with it. Plus I feel like absolute crap when I wake up on Sunday morning! Its like I work out all week and eat right and come Saturday, I am downing Corona's and Margaritas. Totally erases all my hard work of the week. I really do think booze hinders some peoples progress.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Just calories to me, the same as all others.