I have it up to here...

Options

Replies

• whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions. I would also suggest seeing a doctor about depression. You mention several things that are indicators.
  • 365Primal
    365Primal Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey there, you can add me as a friend on MFP if you'd like. I'll send you a PM about suggestions.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'm on here all the time logging, diary is open as well :)

And as for facebook, It was literally ruining my life. I deleted it about a year ago and never looked back. I'm so much happier without it.

Tons of great advice on this thread to try and keep you motivated - I'm great with motivation, and follow up. I too have issues exercising because of medical reasons though, not because I lose my routine and just get fed up.

Being as you just moved and have no family around and you seem overwhelmed, doesn't hurt to talk to someone. You may need a small dose of anti depressants to keep you going. Nothing wrong with that. I did it for a few years when I was trying to get my life in order with school and work and felt really overwhelmed. Exercising really helped, and so did diet. Eventually I was taken off them and I haven't had to be on them now for 4 years.
  • cmc323
    cmc323 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a home-schooling mother of two daughters, and I can totally understand the feelings of isolation and depression at times! I also understand the addiction to Facebook, as it is a distraction from all that overwhelms and a social outlet for a lonely mommy. However, I think the job of mom is the most important EVER. I am sure you do too. I don't have any awesome advice, as I am in the same place with my fitness and eating goals. But, I just wanted to say: you are not alone. You are good enough. This phase of life is unique in its demands and challenges, but you are up to it. Stay positive, pray, and lean on real people for support! {Virtual hug}
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way at times, BUT you've just gotta' do it. When I start to feel in that kinda' mood I just get up and do it, I don't think about it, I don't sit there any longer, I get what I've gotta' get done. At the end of the day, when I know I've conquered that, I feel so much better about myself. It's all will-power - any of us could sit on the couch all day watching tv, munching on snacks, that just sounds FABULOUS, but you're never going to grow as a person or get anywhere by doing those kinds of things. For example, I've been so tired this week, so achy and I could have easily said, "I don't wnat to workout because i'm so tired and my body hurts", but if I do that, habit kicks in and that one day of not working out turns into 2, 3 and so on...whne you let bad habits take control, your life can turn into a whirlwind of depression, wiht an unhealthy lifestyle, etc.

I have a child, too, she's almost 2. There's times when she wants to go outside and play and my day's been EXHAUSTING - do I want to? No! lol...but, just because I don't wnat to do it doesn't mean I should be so selfish to not let her enjoy herself, afterall, she is just 20 months, everything is so new to her. I find once we do go outside, I actually start to enjoy myself and the fresh air is so nice!

I'm not saying it's easy, in fact, it's SO DAMN HARD at itmes, but you can't let that get the best of you, you can't let the bad habits kick your butt. You've got this! Go out and kick those bad habits in the a** and go live your life the way you wnat, not the way those "bad habits" want to. :)
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions. I would also suggest seeing a doctor about depression. You mention several things that are indicators.

I thought the same thing.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    After noting your username and reading your first paragraph, I am going to make a suggestion.
    Do not spend your money on weight loss or fitness gadgets or doodads!!! Take that money and use it to get yourself a babysitter.
    Here is what I think you need to do. Find a neighbourhood mom or grandma and have them come to your home (you have to leave the house that way), for 1 hour a week. Take that hour and do something you would not normally do. Not necessarily fitness related. The first week I suggest going to a large book store, like Chapters, just walk around for a while, read some book covers, check out the knickknacks, no need to buy anything, just browse. You can do this alone without feeling awkward. The next wee you could do the same but hit up a home improvement store, or if it is nice out, find a park and go for a stroll. No worries about heart rates or calories, just for leisure. Arrange for that babysitter every week, in advance so that you can't cancel!
    Why? Your rut is not physical.
    I bet that your mood and energy level will improve on its own if you force yourself to get out, sans kid and hubby. You need to find that inner you again. You still have 167 hours a week to be mom and wife.

Excellent idea.
  • ohtobe140
    ohtobe140 Posts: 93
    Options
    Without going into the nitty gritty details I completely understand how you feel. Wellbutrin changed my life and my world view. I started it in November and by the middle of December, I just felt better. My patience came back, my ability to cope came back, I don't sit on the couch that much anymore, I am more involved with my kids. It's been just over six months now and I feel like I am awake for the first time in a long time. going on Wellbutrin helped me be ABLE to work out, eat right, be more present. It didn't change who I am, it helped me remember who I used to be. I have three kids all under the age of 7 and they are a total of 3 years and 6 days apart, I was in a funk hormonally and emotionally for a long time and I never really recovered. Wellbutrin helped me get back to me. I am not saying it's the answer for you, but it's worth a shot if you are open to it and your dr. agrees.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My name is Katie - I'm sorry you're going through so much right now. I've been there, sometimes I still have bad days but they're not continual. I'm writing my responses in { THESE} because I want to respond to everything and not miss out. I'm writing it in CAPS so it stands out, I'm not yelling. If MFP had an option for red text I would change the text color. Oh well - and sorry in advance.

I am coming to terms with the fact that I am stuck in a rut. I'm stuck in life in general. I am a 34 year old wife and stay at home mom to a three and a half year old boy whom I love dearly. I have been out of work since October 2008 (went back to school full time until May 2010) and had my son in February 2010. I gained 80 pounds with that pregnancy. EIGHTY pounds. I was 115 before and I delivered at 194. {OK - SO YOU GAINED 80 POUNDS, THE NORMAL IS 25. I HAVE NEVER MET ONE SINGLE PERSON THAT DIDN'T GAIN MORE THAN 45 DURING THEIR FIRST PREGNANCY. I GOT UP TO 185 WHEN I GOT PREGNANT WITH MY 2 YEAR OLD. YOU HAVE TO MOVE PAST THE WEIGHT YOU'VE GAINED}

We recently relocated from Denver, CO to Phoenix, AZ. Both of my parents and my sister and her family are still home in Denver. My husband's family is in Chicago. We made this decision, not just because he was being transferred, but also because it gave us a fresh start on neutral territory to start focusing on our family. We've been here since January and I have made friends with a couple of other women with children but no friendship in real bloom just yet. {I'M GOING TO BE HONEST HERE, BECAUSE I'VE SEEN MY MOTHER MOVE FROM ONE STATE TO ANOTHER BECAUSE SHE WANTED A FRESH START. MOVING ISN'T GOING TO GIVE YOU A FRESH START, YOU CANNOT MOVE AWAY FROM YOUR PROBLEMS. WHETHER THAT INVOLVES NOT FINDING A JOB, NOT LIKING A JOB, NOT LIKING YOUR FRIENDS, NOT LIKING YOUR FAMILY, HAVING FAMILY ISSUES, MARITAL ISSUES. WHATEVER ISSUES YOU'RE TRYING TO GET A CLEAN START FROM IS GOING TO CONTINUE NO MATTER HOW FAR YOU MOVE, BECAUSE THE ISSUES ARE FROM WITHIN. UNLESS IT'S LIKE A CREEPY STALKER OR SOMETHING}

I have been on this weight loss/healthy lifestyle journey since about April 2010. I am starting to notice that I am in a cyclic downfall. {I'm glad you see this} Every few months I get in the groove and really go for the gusto. I eat clean and I exercise...for about two weeks tops. I notice that I just feel like crap after exercising the first few times. {IT'S BECAUSE YOU NEED TO KEEP DOING IT, KEEP EATING CLEAN AND KEEP WORKING OUT. DONT SLACK, DONT LET GO} The day after...it's more than just being sore. I'm talking about within the first three days of exercising. I shake and feel nauseous and drained. I can only describe it as though I've been poisoned. {YOUR BODY ISN'T ADJUSTED TO WORKING OUT, YOU NEED TO KEEP DOING IT. JUST LIKE YOU'RE NOT GOING TO RUN 3 MILES FROM THE START. YOU START SMALL AND INCREASE. WORKING OUT WOULDN'T BE CALLED WORKING IF YOU DIDN'T WORK!] I know that sounds ridiculous but it's the best way I can explain it. If I force myself to continue through this, I really gain the motivation and keep going strong for a good two weeks. But then, it all crashes down. Eating clean and cooking/prepping food becomes a chore. {YEAH, IT SUCKS. I HAVE A TODDLER TOO, A BOYFRIEND, A CRAZY EX HUSBAND, A FULL TIME JOB THAT I DRIVE AN HOUR TO GET TO AND HOUR TO GET BACK. BUT I WORKOUT 6 DAYS A WEEK, AND COOK 5-6 TIMES A WEEK. YOU HAVE TO SUCK IT UP AND DO IT IF YOU WANT TO SEE RESULTS.} Facebook and the computer get in the way of getting off the couch. {DELETE FACEBOOK IF IT IS BECOMING A DISTRACTION} Eating out or snacking on crap foods during the day is how I get my calories. {STOP BUYING JUNK FOOD IF IT TEMPTS YOU, STOP GOING OUT, GET OFF FACEBOOK AND COOK DINNER.} I wake up at 5am every day but I can't get going until at least 10am. {WHY DOES IT TAKE YOU FIVE HOURS TO GET GOING??} My poor son is dealing with a very cranky, tired, and out of shape mom. I hate it. I hate myself for being so weak and for teaching my child poor habits and behavior. I have no patience and I take it out on my husband and son. I just sink until I literally find an excuse for all of my behavior. It has GOT TO STOP. {YES IT HAS TO STOP. WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE TEACHING YOUR SON? FURTHERMORE, EVEN IF YOU REMAIN OVER WEIGHT YOU NEED TO FIND YOUR GOOD QUALITIES AND EMBRACE THOSE. WRITE A LIST OF EVERYTHING GOOD ABOUT YOU AND WHAT YOU DO. PUT THEM ON A STICKY, PUT THEM ON A MIRROR IN YOUR BATHROOM AND RECITE EVERYTHING GOOD ABOUT YOU. I'm so angry with myself and I'm embarrassed that I can't seem to snap out of it. The days that I DO get out of the house or I do take a shower before 10am, I have an amazing amount of energy and I'm actually happy. It's getting over that hump every day of knowing I HAVE to do it. I just can't grasp it for some reason. My body and mind are seeming to work against my heart on a regular basis.

That being said, I am looking for friends and support and help. {ADD ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE, I WOULD LOVE TO SUPPORT YOU} I am on FB far too often and, in fact, it is killing my marriage. I'm not sure why I feel the need to have 700+ friends that I haven't talked to in up to 16 years. It's almost like I'm looking for acceptance through Facebook and I feel pathetic. I know I'm not alone in this. I know several people do this on a regular basis but I also know it is not healthy for me. I become offended by some people's responses to my posts, I've been blocked by people that have taken things personally (when it never was), and I get jealous by several of these acquaintances. I have to break away. {I FEEL LIKE YOU NEED TO ACCEPT YOURSELF MORE THAN ANYTHING. YOU SEEM LOST, LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE. FIND A HOBBY THAT YOU ENJOY SET THAT TIME ASIDE AND DO IT. MAYBE YOU MIGHT CONSIDER FINDING A THERAPIST TO HELP COPE WITH WHAT'S GOING ON. YOUR ISSUES SEEM MUCH DEEPER}

So, here I am. I'm back on MFP and I really want to mean business. I want to show myself that I can lose this last 30 pounds. I want to feel better and learn to adapt to a new and healthier lifestyle. Not for a day. Not for a month. Not for a season. Forever. I need this. My husband needs this. My son needs this. I would love to be encouraged and cheered on and I would love to be a cheerleader for you. I just need that kick in the butt. And, from what I've seen, many of you are qualified to give that extra push. Because, truly, what I've seen from some of you is simply amazing.

ETA: A couple of the biggest things that have been dragging me down is that 1. I made it to 88 days on here and was logging in every day and then...BAM! just like that, I stopped and 2. I got into an argument with my husband last weekend because I wanted to purchase a HRM and he just starting saying things that really hurt. He was saying that HE'S spent thousands of dollars on my weight loss efforts and that he doesn't see how a HRM is going to help. He asked if I couldn't do it with a personal trainer (I lost 25 pounds with a personal trainer, btw) then how was this monitor going to help? He said that instead of buying yet another gimmick I should "just get it done. Just get it done, Adria". Sadly, yes, WE have spent money on a couple of trainers. BUT, I reminded him that the punching bag and stand in the garage are unused and he just HAD to have those. The other equipment (small weights and bands) were his idea, too. Needless to say, I didn't feel any support from him, yet again. Shockingly, he apologized the next morning. That NEVER happens. However, I still believe I need to find support from others that are going through this same journey. {HONESTLY, MY BF WOULD PROBABLY SAY THE SAME THING. HE PROBABLY IS FRUSTRATED, CAN YOU REALLY BLAME HIM? IF Y'ALL HAVE SPENT LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS BUT YOU HAVEN'T FOUND MOTIVATION TO KEEP IT UP AND DO IT. I THINK ANYONE WOULD BE FRUSTRATED. FORGET THE HEART RATE MONITOR. WORK YOUR *kitten* OFF FOR A GOOD 90 DAYS SHOW HIM YOU MEAN BUSINESS THIS TIME AND I BET YOU HE WILL BUY YOU ONE. }

Sorry this is so long. Thank you for reading if you made it this far.

I feel like you have a few things going on. I really suggest maybe seeking therapy as stated before because everything you've said really leads me to believe maybe you are showing signs of depression.
  • goldenvenus
    goldenvenus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I didn't see in all the stuff you read anything about a Dr. Appts. Have you been talking with your doctor. After children and with age our systems change. You should make sure your thyroid, hormones and gut are working properly. I myself ended up gaining so much weight after marrage, children (I have 2 teenage boys), life that I went from a size 8 and 130 lbs. on my wedding day to a size 18 & 212 lbs. 2 years ago December. I went to my doctor and told her I thought I had food allergies, because I was getting bad heartburn from bread and oatmeal. I did! I found out I'm allergic to ginger, beef, wheat, oats, corn, barley, soy, peanuts and all legumes. I stoped eating all of those things and haven't had any of them since. I lost 10 lbs in 3 days. then started to lose a lb a week. I am now 145 lbs. Most of my aches and pains are gone and I know that all of my asthma attacks where from food not anything else because I haven't had any asthma attacks at night in a whole year.
    So make sure you take care of the basics first. If your body isn't right, your weight can't be. After that you just have to set a reasonable plan. Have one cheat day, that you can eat extras, like pizza friday or cookie Sunday. Then when ever you have a second. Think push ups. My son and I started doing push ups in the minute while we wait for our tea to heat up in the microwave. If you can't do push ups yet, then plank (just being in the up possition) for as long as you can stand. Count as you do it. Then every time you plank, add a count. Eventually, you will build up you core muscles to be able to hold yourself up to do push ups. I keep my reps to 10 or 15 and just do more reps through out the day. You can do some before you hop into the shower,while you are waiting for your kids to do a request or before you sit down to watch tv. Another thing you can do is dance. Zumba and all the pay for exercise videos are just dancing. Turn the radio on and Dance around while you are doing household chores. Boggie while you fold clothes and mop floors. It make the task more fun and go by faster because you are not dredding the moment. It doesn't take a lot to lose weight if you are health and you don't over eat and you move. If you do over eat one day, just move more. Have the kids move with you and then they will help. All kids can and should move.
    Good luck. You can do it. And do it for you and nobody else. =)
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Best decision I made in quite some time was to kill my Facebook account back in Dec '12, Was clear that it had become far too much of a distraction in my life and allowed me to believe I was "connected" to friends/family when in reality I had withdrawn further and further from any real sense of connection with the people in my life.

Went through withdrawal for a spell but now don't miss it a lick.

Looking at your original post I also noted that you mentioned having a cycle of high motivation times followed by falling back into periods of less motivation and back-sliding.

If you have not done this already, it might be of benefit to you and your family to explore whether there are any brain chemistry / depression issues that might be causing/assisting that cycle.

Had to face that issue myself and was able to get a headstart on getting back on tract with the help of some depression meds.

Ever since that time I have really gotten back on board with moving my body and exercise/physical activity. The endorphins released during exercise can really be a fantastic natural anti-depressant. As such, I am now effectively off of the meds and have been successful in keeping things moving in the right direction by keeping my body active.

Good luck with everything. Wishing the best for you and your family.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    has he really spent thousands of dollars on your weightloss? WOW.

really, just get off your azz. You dont need a gym or need an HRM....its all in your head. These things are crutches. Stop being lazy and start getting to it.

Ill give you an example, I totaled my car last week, cant get to gym, so i ran (im a terrible runner and have bad knees.) Then it was pouring rain yesterday, so I did 500 squats...you do SOMETHING. Its ALL ON YOU!
  • scotvalkyrie
    scotvalkyrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters that you need time to yourself, and it might be a very good idea to hire a babysitter for a couple hours a week and do something for you.

However, instead of using that time to go to the gym or to work out, might I suggfest using that time to do something for you that has NOTHING to do with weight loss or exercise? We all need outside interests that are a mix of different activities. By focusing so much on your weight loss, you may have lost sight of the other things that make you a person as a whole. I would recommend trying to meet other people in a group like a book club, or taking up knitting. I recommend the knitting because I am a knitter, and it's a very social activity.

I live in the Tempe AZ area so if you want to PM me, you can. I know an excellent knitting teacher and I run a knitting social group.
  • mommy2maddox
    mommy2maddox Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    After noting your username and reading your first paragraph, I am going to make a suggestion.
    Do not spend your money on weight loss or fitness gadgets or doodads!!! Take that money and use it to get yourself a babysitter.
    Here is what I think you need to do. Find a neighbourhood mom or grandma and have them come to your home (you have to leave the house that way), for 1 hour a week. Take that hour and do something you would not normally do. Not necessarily fitness related. The first week I suggest going to a large book store, like Chapters, just walk around for a while, read some book covers, check out the knickknacks, no need to buy anything, just browse. You can do this alone without feeling awkward. The next wee you could do the same but hit up a home improvement store, or if it is nice out, find a park and go for a stroll. No worries about heart rates or calories, just for leisure. Arrange for that babysitter every week, in advance so that you can't cancel!
    Why? Your rut is not physical.
    I bet that your mood and energy level will improve on its own if you force yourself to get out, sans kid and hubby. You need to find that inner you again. You still have 167 hours a week to be mom and wife.

I totally agree that it isn't physical. Thank you for the advice. These are great ideas.
  • mommy2maddox
    Options
    Willpower is a limited resource. Reading from your story you're trying to change everything at once. From today you're going to be a workout-ninja-clean-eating-crazy-perfect women. But after making 50 good choices in 30 minutes your willpower just says "eff this". No wonder you falter after 2 weeks, you've completely worn out all your willpower for the next 2 months.

Make it easy on yourself, change one thing at a time. Add in exercise for 30 minutes 2 days a week. Sounds manageble right? That's cause it is. When you've been doing that for a few weeks change your breakfast to something healthier. When you're doing that on autopilot in the morning try and eat a healthier snack at night. And later maybe take out that snack completely. But make it SMALL steps and just a few goals at a time. Anything more than 3 small goals and you're bound not to make it.

This includes goals as using less facebook and stuff.

Great advice. Thank you so much. Baby steps.
  • mommy2maddox
    Options
    Sending friend request.

Suggestions:
    - Make morning appointments (doctor etc) whenever possible so you are forced to get up and out early
    - Take some time out from FB (I'm not on it, wouldn't have the time... so many friends waste too much time on it)
    - Running after a 3 year old in the park would burn calories, so does a walk to the shops
    - Eating 'clean' doesn't have to be a huge effort. Fresh fruit, veg are quick and easy. Eating highly processed cr@p all day will be making you feel 10x worse, and it has less nutritional value. Start slowly, cut out one bad thing at a time until the habits form

Chin up. You will get there, if you want to (I agree with your husband about the HRM - you just need to do some exercise now. If you start getting more athletic, then fine, treat yourself to the gadget. Save the money for now, and you can look forward to getting this as a reward.) :flowerforyou:

Great advice and I already made a morning doctor appt next week. :) Thank you!
  • mommy2maddox
    Options
    You sound tired and worn out. I agree that you should spend the money on babysitter or a day camp/mother's day out activity. You need one hour to yourself a day to exercise. Just do one step at a time - one day at a time. Don't overdo exercise on the first few days or weeks or you will quit.

I get on MFP every morning, log my weight, food and exercise. I then read these posts to try to help others and get re-motivated myself.

I have moved a number of times and always feel alone until I just throw myself into activities. Not fun or easy but it is necessary for your mental health.

Your first sentence made me cry. You hit the nail on the head. Thank you!
  • mommy2maddox
    Options
    if youre feelin ill when starting to eat healthier, it is just your body detoxing all the bad foods from your body. so push through that feeling for a few days, because it will subside and you will inevitably feel better.

I think you are correct. That "poison" feeling definitely feels like a detox.
  • mommy2maddox
    Options
    It seems that you are trying to do too much too quickly and fall into the gumption trap.

(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumption_trap)

There is no need to do massive amounts of exercise, eat clean, buy equipment to lose weight. Each of those can help in a variety of ways but if exercising is started too harshly then yes, you will feel like crap and if you feel like crap and it results in you stopping everything then it is counter-productive.

Build small positive habits that create change.

1) Identify your TDEE and eat at a small deficit.
    2) Be consistent with your macros.

That's it. That is all that is needed for weight loss. Everything else CAN be useful but SHOULD NOT become a overwhelming barrier. To do those two first things you need to track your food, weigh it, preferably for accuracy.

Add exercise because it is healthy but only if and when it fills a desire and lifestyle - not as a whipping.

Pretty much just what I needed to hear. Thank you so much. :)

Now, to learn about TDEE and macros. ;)
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have been on the other side of a relationship suffering from a facebook addiction. Yes, Facebook can kill motivation and relationships. It really is important that you break away, and don't replace it was MFP!

Also, I have been that tired, cranky, insecure and lazy mom. (Not calling you lazy, just saying thats how I felt.) It makes you feel like crap about yourself. But it is a mental thing. You can hate yourself, beat yourself up, WANT IT SO BAD.... But that switch has to flip before you really get that Dedication you need for this process. BUT YOU CAN DO IT!

EDITED TO SAY: When I say dont replace it with MFP, I mean dont go looking to add 700 friends to show you attention here. If you are missing that attention from your relationship or soemthing, talk it over. I wish my fiance had done that. Instead, all the jealousy and problems we encountered due to his facebook addiction truly ruined our relationship. I had no trust in him, he literally told me he would pick the computer over me if I pushed the issue... That hurt me more than anything. You would pick all these RANDOM PEOPLE who DONT DO ANYTHING TO SUPPORT OR CARE FOR YOU OVER ME???? It is important that you detach yourself, and just limit your time on social networking (that is what he had to do, to even make time for our children.)