When did you start shopping for a smaller size?

Options

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    When I got to a size S in tops and 4/6 in pants, skirts, and dresses, I really invested some money in new clothes. My advice is don't underestimate how much you'll lose. 100 lbs ago, I would never have imagined I'd ever be able to wear a size 4 anything, but here I am. Until I got to that point, I bought new things as I needed them, depending on seasons, but I bought cheaper stuff (Old Navy, for example) because I knew I'd grow out of it.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    About 60 days after i started Insanity ;) put a bikini on and realized i wanted smaller more flattering clothes. It is different for everyone, it really depends on how confident you feel in your new body and If you want to show it off.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    At the middle and end of my goal weight. Goodwill/Salvation Army were big money savers at the "in between" phases of loosing weight.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'll have to start buying my own stuff when I hit the 12/14 size mark (currently in between 16's & 18's) and I'll be hitting the thrift stores and Goodwill. My mom has given me a bunch of clothes so all I've needed to do is buy a couple things to round out the color pallet. She tended towards white/pink/red so I bought some blue/purple stuff that were on sale and I had a gift card. She's given me two size sets so thankfully I haven't had to buy much in terms of work/leisure clothing. I have had to buy new workout gear. 'Bout lost my pants a couple times running sprint at the gym and the tops were getting too loose and causing movement issues.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I usually wait until my clothes start fitting me like a circus tent to buy more. Considering I've gone from an 18 (sometimes size 20 depending on the brand) to a 12 (sometimes 14 depending on the brand) I've done more shopping for myself than I have in years.

I like the progress, but all the shopping is kind of a pain...especially when you find an article of clothing you really like, and then end up having to ditch it several months later because it fits too big.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    When I couldn't see my butt in my wranglers because they were baggy, it was time to get new jeans. After all, what is the point of wranglers if you don't have the wrangler butt? lol
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    when I ran out of smaller things in my closet. I had kept 1 pair of jeans in each size as I had gained weight. So I still had all those to go through before I needed to buy new. The tops were tolerable for quite a while.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I went to try on my shorts from last season... yeah no go :/ they are falling off my hips. so this weekend I had to go get all new shorts
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As i found that my clothes looked "sloppy", i bought a few things here and there. :-)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    When I had money to afford them. Won't get any more new clothes until April/May 2014.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    When my current size no longer fit.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I waited until my friends at work offered to buy me new clothes. One of them told me that I looked like I stole my clothes from a dead hobo. It was time.
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Before I even lost weight (as motivation I suppose) and now I can wear them though I may have to replace the pants as I progress.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I waited until my friends at work offered to buy me new clothes. One of them told me that I looked like I stole my clothes from a dead hobo. It was time.
    I think I love that friend of yours. I had an irl laugh and got looked at weird. xD
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,213 Member
    Options
    I was a (kidding myself) large 16 UK, really an 18. I am still in the same track suit bottoms at size 14UK.:noway: Did they shrink with me? Some of my stretchy tops still fit fine. Otherwise I have thrown out almost everything! Belts hold up the 16 jeans I bought on the way down. I have sold a few expensive dresses, but got hardly anything for them.
    I have no money to buy anything so am just living in my tracksuit bottoms and one pair of 14 jeans. 2 new t shirts that fit. I bought running shoes on a credit card but will have to find the money next month. My husband treated me to one new dress for a family occasion, but that's it. The wardrobe is bare. My knickers still fit me! It was me bursting out of those that got me started on this diet a year ago.:bigsmile:
    I have lost 44 lbs so far - about 6 lbs to go. My ex owes me money. Perhaps he will pay up and I can buy some clothes! !!!!!:laugh: :tongue:
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight I started buying new clothes when the ones I had were just too big. Then I'd immediately bag them up and give them to my cousins. They would go through and find what fit them that they liked then give what was left to another friend at church. I knew a couple of my cousins didn't have a great deal of money for new clothes and mine were in great condition since I take care of most of them pretty well.

This time around I haven't gotten rid of most of my smaller clothes so when things get to big I just go to my smaller clothes and find what size I am now. My goal is to get back into my smallest clothes (or even have them get to big).

When I'm in the middle of losing weight I go for cheap like Walmart for the most part. There's no point in getting too many expensive clothes that wont fit in a few months.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've been buying clothes periodically as things have started not fitting as well. IMO there is nothing worse that feeling proud of your body changing and then covering it up in saggy, baggy clothes. Once I outgrow stuff I get rid of them. I shop at alot of thrift stores so I'm frugal with my buying and don't really care for shopping but wearing clothes that fit make me feel really nice!

My next shopping trip is going to have to be for bras:)
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    After losing 31 pounds. I needed new underwear. I had some that would fall off me. I had to get some new pants and I bought some new shirts. The old ones hung on me.

I had no shorts for summer so I got almost all my summer clothes there.

I do ALOT of my shopping at GoodWill so I didn't pay alot. I just got a pair of black dress pants for $6 the other day. Most of the clothes I have bought at Goodwill has not even been worn. I love the "designer" one that is downtown.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    NOt yet, but I think my SO had to shop for a smaller size condoms when I put on all this weight. :embarassed:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I was about the same as everyone else, 15-20 pounds. Unfortunately my body seems to be wanting to lose weight from my hips, thighs and butt way before my waist, so I have to wear pants that are huge in my legs but still fit pretty well in the band. I've just about replaced all of my clothes from when I started. I did a lot of thrift store shopping, clearance rack shopping and I had a friend of mine alter some of my tshirts. I did splurge on some interviewing clothes, because I'm job hunting.

Also I have to go buy new underwear and bras today. :( I'm still at a large bra size so I'm worried about having to go to Lane Bryant still and shelling out $40. God I hate Lane Bryant.

I'm the opposite - I lost the first 10-ish pounds seemingly entirely from the waist up, so my tops and bras are now huge and my pants/skirts are an inch or so longer because the only thing holding them up is my lower belly - butt and thighs shrank with the next 4ish lbs. This means that when the lower belly goes there isn't going to be anything at all keeping my pants/skirts up except a belt and a prayer.

For the OP - even though I've dropped two top sizes, I'm holding out on clothes shopping until I get down to where I want to be. I started out close enough to my preferred weight that it'd just be a waste to buy new clothes twice. I have started a donation bag, though, for those things I can't wear anymore and be decent. I dropped a cup and a band size. Had no idea that I'd have to shorten the shoulder straps a couple of inches to compensate, pulling the top of my bra way up my chest. Then the smaller chest made my V-neck/scoopneck necklines fall much lower, resulting in the top of my bra sticking out of the neckline of my shirt. Not exactly appropriate.