riding lawn mower - help with calories counting?

Options
hey guys,

I need some help! I got this new job over the summer that involves mowing grass for about 4-8 hours a day depending on the day. my issue is, mfp says riding a lawn mower for three hours is nearly 600 calories. and I don't think that can be right, you just sit there basically only getting up to move stuff on front of you or if you get stuck somewhere and have to pull the machine out of a ditch. yes it is hot, you sweat, get sun burnt, bounce around a lot and hit in the head by grape plants and tree branches, but if the counter on this site is right, after a 8 hour shift I've burned more at work than I was supposed to eat the entire day!

my problem is, I don't want to count it and end up eating more than I need and not losing weight, but I also don't want to not count it, then end up eating too less because of calories burned and put my body into starvation mode. neither is ideal to my weight loss journey.

anyone have any advice for me?? please?

-Rani. :frown:

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Google for a website that will calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). If you consume 10-15% less than your TDEE, you should be good to go. This way, you don't have to add in any exercises because I think that sometimes MFP over estimates the calories burned.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.
  • rani_87
    rani_87 Posts: 5
    Options
    so as long as I'm 10-15% less than the tdee I should still lose weight? thank you! I'm going to look that up now.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    so as long as I'm 10-15% less than the tdee I should still lose weight? thank you! I'm going to look that up now.

Yes, use the TDEE method instead. Tracking calorie "burn" is fairly inaccurate anyway, so just use TDEE and call it a day.