Why am i gaining weight?

I work out just about every day, and I eat the right calorie intake for my size to loss weight. The problem is that I'm gaining! I just gained 4 pounds in several days. I know that some of this might be due to the fact that my thyroid levels are all messed up, but at the same time I'm still getting smaller. I just really want to know why this is happening. I'm trying not to go near the scale and focus on how I feel better, but I still have to go to the doctor and THEY are going to look at the scale and then give me crap that I don't need. I really need some answers.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    How long have you been logging? Do you log everything you eat, every day? Hormones can cause weight fluctuation as well - is it time for your cycle? Have you started a new exercise routine? Did you eat a lot of high sodium foods?
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Open your diary?
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    If you have thyroid issues, I'd start with getting them back on track which may help everything else. If your thyroid is low, the effect it has your metabolism won't give you the results you should be getting when you're eating at a deficit.

Good luck and I hope your doctor can help you get to the root of the issue.
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    I started CrossFit 6 weeks ago and have not lost a pound. BUT...I am building muscle and burning fat. In 4 weeks I lost 4.5% body fat. Do yourself a favor and don't get on the scale. It's only a number that can fluctuate with TOM and how much salt you ate, etc. Especially if you are exercising hard that muscle you're building is going to weigh more than fat (yeah it's true). If you're clothes are fitting better then THAT is your victory. Keep doing the work and eventually you will start to lose. I don't know what to tell you about the doctor, except you can tell him/her that you're exercising more and you're clothes fit better. A doctor should understand that concept.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I can fluctuate 2-3 pounds due to water weight. My scale can give different values depending on exactly how I'm standing on it.

If you're body shape is changing, you're either losing weight or trading fat for muscle. Both are good things. ;)