Liquid-y foods!

Options
1235»

Replies

• agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Stop and think about it for a second ... at worst you are over tracking calories by tracking the sugar, but calories are not an exact science and losing weight is not as simple as calories in vs. calories out. So when you track food just make sure you track consistently, use the same scale, use the same ingredients when you build a recipe, because just like a heart rate monitor is a educated guess as to what your calories burned are, so is tracking your food. What you call a small cucumber might be a large cucumber by caloric count, and you could be off 20 calories, so just stay consistent, and honest. And just because you don't drink the juice doesn't mean that some of the sugar or all of the sugar isn't soaked into your salad, so why try to cut it down to such a uncontrollable portion, just track it eat, and solider on.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OK so here goes my real answer...OSMOSIS.

Weigh the marinade before you put the cucumbers in it.

Weigh the marinade after you fish out the cucumbers out.

IF there is a difference of weight you will know how much the cucumbers absorbed and then whenever you eat .2 of the recipe's amount of cucumbers, you can divide the marinade ingredients by .2 and know how much marinade you consumed.

Your welcome for both the giant cucumber and the answer to your question. p.s. PM me if you don't know what to do with a cucumber that big. Your summer salads should take care of it, but if not and you want some suggestions I'd be happy to send you some in PM's complete with gif's. :cucumberflowerforyou:

...no seriously....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6esBuARf-Ohy2RL9znotAWbOb3w9mJ__SgpxRNsfH2yKbMkUlKw

/end thread.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Guesstimating is the only option I can think of. I'd log only a fraction of the sugar in the cucumber salad. Maybe 1 Tbs, then the solid stuff you eat and divide into servings. Nothing is ever exact anyway. Just get as close as you can.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Guesstimating is the only option I can think of. I'd log only a fraction of the sugar in the cucumber salad. Maybe 1 Tbs, then the solid stuff you eat and divide into servings. Nothing is ever exact anyway. Just get as close as you can.

NO! It must be exact. How dare you be so glib, rude and insulting to someone suffering from the 'zactly disease.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    *looks left, looks right* no sign of OP she may have lost interest in this thread....soooooooo..........

Other ideas:
    measure it?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBMpcywohnz43tNrcnso_H3qSAJKhaZVuMQndaq1n5CLHCaQqAQA
    accept it?
    1.a.Giant+cucumber+I+thought+was+a+watermelon.JPG
    eyeball it?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3gOqbAzBQsALE50qEC3Fl_bzdcpLt19gKvecRMRaH_bw17KoZ
    cucumberhenge..become one with the cucumber?
    7459125096_1f04baa929_z.jpg
    listen to it?
    2696709321_f97f140a52_z.jpg?zz=1

145431.jpg tickle it?

and finally the real solution to the problem. kris10.JPG
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

thanks, but does not solve my dilemma.
    if I log the 1/4 cup sugar that goes into the marinade that's 194 calories.
    I'm not actually CONSUMING them, only SOME of them.

I want to know HOW to determine what is actually consumed.

Simple, then:

- Enter a recipe for the marinade only
    - Weigh the marinade separately.
    - add your cucumbers (or whatever)
    - eat the cucumbers.
    - weigh the remaining liquid.
    - log the cucumbers
    - log the value from (Liquid(pre) - Liquid(post))

also .. don't forget to weigh your fork and bowl before and after so you can determine how much residue was left on them. Also, weigh the marination container before and after to account for residue in there too.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Legitimate question here, OP: how do you log the calorie count on prepackaged food, should you choose to eat it? I ask because those listed calories are estimates, and suggestions in-thread that you estimate would lead one to believe that "estimating" is insufficiently exact for your personal peace of mind.

Sorry if this was already said, (didn't go through the last several pages) but in the U.S., prepackaged foods are allowed to be up to 20% off in caloric estimations (either over or under...guess which one they do more). Does it upset me that this is allowed...heck yes, but all we can do is estimate, so decide what sounds best and estimate away.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Legitimate question here, OP: how do you log the calorie count on prepackaged food, should you choose to eat it? I ask because those listed calories are estimates, and suggestions in-thread that you estimate would lead one to believe that "estimating" is insufficiently exact for your personal peace of mind.

Sorry if this was already said, (didn't go through the last several pages) but in the U.S., prepackaged foods are allowed to be up to 20% off in caloric estimations (either over or under...guess which one they do more). Does it upset me that this is allowed...heck yes, but all we can do is estimate, so decide what sounds best and estimate away.

You're missing out. Just sayin'.

apparently my "real answer" is so easy even a dog can do it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8Nkvkk9bwN70wJJen58E30cFKJ20RxP9PiRr3KyoCqHf9HcGh
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    *looks left, looks right* no sign of OP she may have lost interest in this thread....soooooooo..........

Other ideas:
    measure it?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBMpcywohnz43tNrcnso_H3qSAJKhaZVuMQndaq1n5CLHCaQqAQA
    accept it?
    1.a.Giant+cucumber+I+thought+was+a+watermelon.JPG
    eyeball it?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3gOqbAzBQsALE50qEC3Fl_bzdcpLt19gKvecRMRaH_bw17KoZ
    cucumberhenge..become one with the cucumber?
    7459125096_1f04baa929_z.jpg
    listen to it?
    2696709321_f97f140a52_z.jpg?zz=1

145431.jpg tickle it?

and finally the real solution to the problem. kris10.JPG

I lost interest after getting a few workable answers. The topic was more than dead, my question was sufficiently answered, and there wasn't all that much more i could say in response to all the mockery.

I admit, I'm curious now, do you maintain a database of huge vegetable photos, or did you search for them on the fly?