Post Cancer 100lb loss, pregnancy, now losing again.

Options
wendyhoch
wendyhoch Posts: 10 Member
myfitnesspal has been very helpful in my weight loss and get healthier journey. I had lost a significant amount before discovering myfitnesspal, but things are certainly easier to keep track of now.
Here's a link to my story with a before, after 100lb loss, pregnancy, and current photo.
I've had a lot of trials to overcome. I hope I can inspire some of you.
Never give up!
-Wendy Hoch

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151702431153980&set=a.10151692338288980.1073741828.313433318979&type=3&theater

Replies

• wendyhoch
    Options
    I don't know how to get the photo to show up here.
    I've entered a contest for a free makeover and pin-up photo shoot. I appreciate you taking the time to read my story.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    When I pasted the link this is what it said

This content is currently unavailable.The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
  • wendyhoch
    Options
    I edited it and re pasted the link. It works for me. Did it fix it for you? It may have something to do with a privacy setting the page I entered the contest in on facebook is using.
  • msmotherof3
    msmotherof3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story. I too am a thyroid cancer survivor; I had my surgery this past January along with chronic hives for 11 months which has kept me from being able to workout. They are trying to regulate my synthroid, I have to go to the doc every 3 months for blood work, and I'm also on prednisone for the hives. The prednisone tends to keep the hives at bay, so I've been trying to start back with my workouts. I'm the biggest I've ever been and it is so hard to get the weight off. I have been eating clean (low carb, low fat),drinking tons of water, and trying to workout 5 to 6 days a week. I am down about 7 pounds now but it's hard not to get discouraged because it takes longer and you have to work harder with an almost non-existent metabolism. CONGRATS on your great efforts and your sweet baby girl, she is precious! Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration!
  • larlo74
    larlo74 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    600538_10151702431153980_1441979066_n.jpg
  • wendyhoch
    Options
    Yes, us with no thyroid have to work so much harder! Don't give up, you can do it. Once your synthroid gets balanced, it does get easier. But, that takes FOREVER! Then, my went crazy with pregnancy and again post pregnancy.
    I'd appreciate any comment you'd care to make on the facebook link. This contest is won by likes and comments. I'd sure love a makeover and photo shoot as a reward :smile:
  • wendyhoch
    Options
    larlo74, thanks so much for the image help. I was going to have to make my poor tech-savvy husband fix it :ohwell:
  • larlo74
    larlo74 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get it to resize right now. It's a little long and the tail end is missing
  • wendyhoch
    Options
    5ae4cb137911dd185d9e66e2aac65c4f.jpg

Here's a current photo, since I haven't figured out how to make the whole collage show up.
    5/22/2013
    Almost back to pre-pregnancy
    936953_4854841494453_846058234_n.jpg
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You look lovely in all the pictures!! Well done with your many battles
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    WOW! u look great!!!:flowerforyou:
  • wendyhoch
    Options
    Thank you, it's been quite a journey!
  • wendyhoch
    Options
    I'm sorry everyone. I just saw in the guidelines that I shouldn't ask for votes for anything. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I just thought it was a easy way to share my pictures and journey that I recently posted elsewhere.
    I still think myfitnesspal is awesome! I use it every day to keep me on track.

Here's my full story, for those who'd still like to look, but don't want to follow an outside link. I couldn't go back and take the facebook link off.

I've known my husband practically my whole life. Our parents like to say that we met in T-Ball. Just when our friendship was developing into something deeper, I was in a life changing wreck. On July 12th, 2000 I was stopped at a construction zone and rear ended by a semi, going 65+mph. I’m lucky to be alive. We started dating, making a life together, and waited and waited, but I didn't get better, and the pain never went away. The diagnosis: fibromyalgia. I tried every treatment you can imagine, but the only thing that's helped is a special diet that avoids inflammatory foods. We both feel better eating this way and it has become our way of life. Years went by, we bought a house, and in 2008 decided to start a family. A year goes by with no baby on the way. I went to the doctor to try to find out why and my life changed again, forever.

The doctor found a lump on my thyroid that turned out to be cancer. Cancer?! At 29?! Two surgeries later, one completely removing my thyroid, and then it was time for radioactive iodine treatment to remove all traces of thyroid tissue. I had to stop my thyroid medication. My body swelled. I gained weight very quickly. My muscles cramped and I couldn't bear to walk. Those few weeks seemed like an eternity. I would look at my body and sob because my belly was growing and I was getting stretch marks, but not from the baby I so badly wanted. I got every possible side effect from cancer treatment. Some temporary, and some permanent.

I was told in one year that they would do a body scan and make sure the cancer was gone. Don't try for a baby now. Wait, they said, they can't scan if I’m pregnant. We waited. I focused on getting stronger and healthier. Having no thyroid means my whole metabolism is controlled by a pill. It wasn't long before I realized that it was much harder for me to lose weight than when I had a thyroid, so I just had to work harder. One year passed and I had my scan. Diagnosis: remission!!!

You have to wait six months after the body scan to conceive, because of the radiation. I continued to work hard, eventually losing 100 pounds, and I was in the best shape of my life. We both started fertility tests and treatments, so that we could be ready.

Diagnosis: severe male infertility. Not good news, but I found minor comfort in the fact that I didn't have to feel betrayed by my body yet again. The only way for us to have a baby was via IVF. That means I had to take the hormones and go through egg retrieval surgery, while he just had to make a "deposit". My husband felt guilty that he was the one with the problem, but I had to go through the ringer. I didn't hesitate, he’d do the same for me.

We did IVF in October of 2011 and were successful! The only complication during my pregnancy was managing my thyroid levels and the side effects that had on my body. Our baby was always perfectly healthy. On June 27th 2012, I gave birth to the most perfect beautiful daughter we could ever imagine, Nora.

I love being a mother, I feel like this is what I was made to do. I’ve found a balance between meeting all of Nora's needs and making time to take care of myself. By making exercise and healthy eating a priority in my life, I’m setting an example for our daughter that will help her lead a healthy life.

One of the side effects of my thyroid being so out of control during and after pregnancy was extra weight gain and even more difficulty losing it. I’m working hard and will reach my goal. I’ve learned that I can overcome anything, but I'd be happy if life never tests that again.

I have truly transformed my life for the better, against all odds, again and again. I am the girl of my dreams.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Your story made me cry. It's amazing what we're capable of. I clicked "Like" at the link. I hope that's how we vote.

You look fantastic, and happy father's day to your husband next week!
  • wendyhoch
    Options
    Thank you. I'll tell him, he's very much looking forwards to Father's Day. We love our Nora so much :love:
  • wendyhoch
    Options
    Here's me in my biggest pants. I finally donated them, good riddance!
    249877_1753944653970_145852_n.jpg

And, here's one with Nora, since she got cropped out of the collage.
    179961_4809865850090_353498664_n.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!