i have a question! please help.

Options
i know that MFP gives you a specific calorie intake for each day, then once you work out it adds more to that. i have always heard that in order to lose weight, you have to eat calories than you burn. so, my question is do i eat less of the calories that i burned AND the calorie intake that MFP gave to me or do i just eat less than what i burn and ignore the remaining calories from the set calorie intake? pretty confused, so i would love it if anyone knows and could help me out.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    i know that MFP gives you a specific calorie intake for each day, then once you work out it adds more to that. i have always heard that in order to lose weight, you have to eat calories than you burn. so, my question is do i eat less of the calories that i burned AND the calorie intake that MFP gave to me or do i just eat less than what i burn and ignore the remaining calories from the set calorie intake? pretty confused, so i would love it if anyone knows and could help me out.

Search the newbie topics this question is asked a dozen times a day
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Eat the calories that you earn during exercise. MFP builds in a deficit so you'll lose weight.

So, if MFP tells you to eat 1500 calories per day, and you burn 400 calories jogging, eat around 1900 calories for the day.
  • mysi019
    mysi019 Posts: 55
    Options
    I eat all my exercise calories everyday, well almost all if i have a few left over i am not to worried. I understand it as they all ready created a deficit when you entered in all your info, weight, level of daily activity and weight loss goal per week. I have lost 10 pounds and have been on here for about 3 weeks give or take. I believe that you need those calories to fuel your body. Some people choose to eat about half, and one of the reasons is cause sometimes people tend to overestimate excersise but underestimate calorie intake. I try my hardest not to do that, i find i prob tend to underestimate working out and oversetimate calorie intake. You will prob get responses from people who either do eat all there calories, dont eat all their calories or eat half. My sis in law was having the same issues as you, i recommended she start with eating half, and see which way the scale goes. I am by no mean an expert on this, i am here for the same reasons you are. I just know this is working for me. Good Luck to you.
  • mallorybear
    mallorybear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks y'all!
    :]
  • Dyma
    Dyma Posts: 6
    Options
    I usually eat my exercise calories, but sometimes I don't. I think it's good to switch it up. When you do eat them, just make sure you're making healthy choices and making those calories work for your body and not against it. Lean Meats, salads, fruits, veggies and whole grains. You'll lose weight faster if you don't eat them, but you might feel deprived and starved and end up eating something you normally wouldn't. Good Luck!