Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Homemade Ice Cream under 100 cals? You Bet!

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    bump
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Some of you may have heard of this recipe before and some of you may have made it with your kids. (Kids LOVE this!) It was nice for me to be reminded about it because I found that it is only 90 cals! Yes! 90 cals!!

1/2 cup of 1% milk (you can use fat free. My daughter, who is lactose intolerant, used Almond Milk)
    1 tbsp sugar (I'm sure you could use Splenda or agave or whatever)
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Put all ingredients in a quart size ziplock bag and seal.

In a gallon sized bag add enough ice to fill the gallon bag half way full and 6 Tblsp. of salt. Put quart size bag inside gallon size bag and seal shut. Make sure you have a tight seal so it doesn't leak. Then all you do is shake it!!! Shake for at least 4 minutes or until the ice cream is frozen.

This serves one person. 90 calories per serving! :)

Here is the fun part ~ add whatever you want to it. I added 1/4 cup of blueberries to mine and it was 110 cals. Think Butter Pecan and maybe use 1/8 tsp. vanilla and 1/8 tsp. of butter extract and add 1/4 cup of chopped pecans. You can mix it up any way you want!

Oh...and while your shaking the bag, dance around the kitchen and REALLY shake what ya mama gave ya!!! You may just burn off some of those calories while you wait for the ice cream to freeze!!

Enjoy!

I edited this to change it from 1 cup milk to 1/2 cup of milk. My bad! Oooppss!
    when i was in school we did 2 coffee cans a small one and a medium size one fill the small one with ingriedence and then stick it sealed into the large one then fill ice around the small one with some salt and then roll it for a few minutes!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    So this sounded so good I had to try it, tonight! LOL... it actually came out pretty good! A few tips for others:

First, use pot holders or something! I feel like I got frostbite from shaking the bag full of ice with my bare hands! Eeek! :wink:

Second, don't use a bigger bag. I used two gallon bags because the only smaller one I had was a sandwich bag and I was worried about it not fitting or bursting. Yeah, that was a mistake. I had to squeeze the bag to get the ice cream out so half of it ended up melted!

Other than that though, it was really good! I used skim milk and it was fine; although maybe that added to the melty/watery-ness? Not sure. The ice cream isn't incredibly sweet... just tastes a touch like vanilla with a touch of sweetness, but it was still good. It doesn't need to be sickeningly sweet to taste good!

The only thing is, that is a LOT of salt that you have to use... is there any way it will still work with less? I would make this every night, but I'd go through the whole salt canister in no time!
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    That looks fun - nice!
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • yummmm...trying this today!:love:
  • YUUMMMMMY! I loove icecream! This wil be my snack for today! :)
  • bump!
  • Holy Cow! Wish I'd found this site before I bought that ice cream maker at Williams Sanomma! I've yet to use it but it's too late to return it! :(
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    :flowerforyou: bump
  • mikioi
    mikioi Posts: 86 Member
    Yummmers! :) Thanks for the idea!
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    bump for later
  • monkeyfood
    monkeyfood Posts: 106
    BUMP!

thanks for sharing!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Bump~
    This sounds great, thanks
  • Gonna make this to go with bbq tomorrow!!!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    bump
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Mmmmm...sounds delicious. Thanks:) Bumpity-Bump
  • doccaroo
    doccaroo Posts: 18
    bump
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    :drinker: Bump