Being the schmuck at the gym

Options
I just finished the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I want to start implementing the workouts tonight. I go to a very small, packed, basement style gym full of lots of guys who flex in the mirror and I am nervous as hell. I really feel like I need to have the book with me as reference on how to do the exercises but I don't want to look like a doucher flipping through the pages of a hardback as I workout.

For those of you who do know what you are doing - should I care?

For those of you who are in the same boat as me - have you ever felt this way? How did you get passed it?

Replies

• RMinge14
    RMinge14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I dont know exactly the program the book outlines, but if you feel you need direction, you could always make copies of the daily workout. or write what you need to do each each day down in a small notebook. Or even use the notepad on your smartphone. Better than flipping through the book in my opinion.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Take the book if you want to! I've noticed people writing in notebooks, on their phones, ipads, etc. There are different ways of tracking workouts and progress and everyone is entitled to use their own way.

The photocopies idea is also a good one!

Just remember, it's about you and your comfort, not about anybody else :-)
  • halffull_pgh
    Options
    I considered the photo copies. Honestly I felt guilty wasting the paper. I suppose I should also assume it will only take me a few loops of this stage of the routine to know what I am doing and then I shouldn't need the book as a crutch.

It boils down to the embarrassment of being the chubby girl at the gym looking like she is trying.
  • asaunders1981
    Options
    I go to a similar type gym, and I experienced this exact feeling when I began there. But it only took ten minutes into my first workout when I realized there wasn't a single person in there who even acknowledged I was there...lol. I took comfort in knowing that I knew what I was doing (I'm a lifter from way back, despite the extra weight I happen to be carrying around currently). I also bring books, papers, whatever, and I see tons of people doing the same. Lot's of notepads and IPad's being referred to in my weight room. Definitely not a sign of anything other than you're taking your workout seriously. As an added note, my current workout is loaded in the notes section of my IPhone, which I always have for my music, so that's always an idea too...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I considered the photo copies. Honestly I felt guilty wasting the paper. I suppose I should also assume it will only take me a few loops of this stage of the routine to know what I am doing and then I shouldn't need the book as a crutch.

It boils down to the embarrassment of being the chubby girl at the gym looking like she is trying.

I'm on week 5 and I still look at the book every single time. I have it in the kindle app on my iphone
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    No one will point at you. No one will laugh at you. They are too concerned with their own workouts (and muscles.)
    Worst case, someone may correct something with you.

Don't let fear get in the way.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I wrote notes and drew stick figures on my workout log :laugh: Do whatever you need to do to make it happen, screw what everyone else thinks about it. This is your lifestyle change don't let anyone get in your way. (BTW it's all in your mind) good luck!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Could practice the techniques at home. I'd suggest just diving in and doing your best though.
  • the_only_solution
    the_only_solution Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with all of you! You are doing this for you, not them! and I have to say that I highly recommend taking the pages, or book or whatever if you aren't sure of the motions to ensure you are doing the moves correctly and without injury. If someone offers to spot you or correct your positioning, listen without being offended. The chubby girl who is trying is my hero!!! If you think someone is looking at you for too long, smile and wink at them. If you need help, ask. Most people are less judgmental than you think at the gym...in fact, most of them can be very encouraging.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i see people that know exactly what their doing with notebooks all the time, jotting down their reps and weights etc. You just need to get out there and get started. It will take a little time to get used to it, but so worth it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Jefit might help. It's an app you can get on your phone that allow you to create workouts and go through them on your phone. It also has a gif showing you proper form for the workout and will track what you did (weight, reps, sets). I highly recommend it over pencil and paper.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Most people screw around in the gym for years before realizing that programming and recording their workouts is important. I look like I'm texting because I use an offline app called GymBuddy to record my workouts. I see other guys using paper and pencil. How you choose to record your workouts is of no one else's concern.

As for the other people in the gym, become one of them. This means ignore them, and focus on what you're doing, watch your form, and enjoy. And don't be afraid to say hi and chat a bit if someone does approach you. Relax.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Trying is admirable from anyone regardless of his/her size.

DO IT!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

As opposed to the dude that's been working out for 5 years, hasn't ready anything on lifting, is doing it all wrong, and hasn't seen any real improvement? Yea, you're being smart.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Also.. youtube will be your friend. I spent a lot of time watching videos to help with form. Mark Rippetoe has some fantastic ones. Really helped me visualize what i need to do with my lifts rather than looking at a picture.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but this is late in night and english isn't my strongest language but is your question that should you bring your workout book to the gym with you?

My question is... why should you care about others to even ask the question. You pay the gym your money. The flexing guys have and always will be there. You shouldn't worry about them and honestly, most of them are fairly nice guys and will never ever judge you based on if you bring a book. Some might offer to help but make sure you stick to the form the book is giving you and not the broscience the nice macho guys offer.

Just do your thing and ignore the others.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym that caters mostly to Police and Firefighters. To say I'm nervous when I go to the weight area is a severe understatement of epic proportions.

I just put my headphones in and do what I have to do.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It's no big deal. Take the book if you think you'll need it. Better to be prepared than to try to do something from "memory" and have it all wrong.

No one is going to come at you...and if they do...you give a "Come at me bro!"...and they'll back down!

I will say to pay attention to your surroundings a little. Exercise some good manners, such as ensuring you wipe down benches you use, rack plates/dumbbells when you are done with an exercise etc...

You'll do fine!
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No, you shouldn't care. Be smart about your workout. Once you're doing it, it will be obvious you had nothing to worry about.
  • DTJBMcT
    DTJBMcT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you the same thing I tell my fifth-grader daughter when she's worried about her hair being not quite right or her being the second to the last person to finish the math test or another perceived embarrassing issue...

You're worried about what others are thinking about you. In reality, honey... they aren't thinking anything. Everyone is too worried about their own stuff to worry about yours. Just do your thing.

Just do your thing, girlfriend. Nobody else cares, and if they do... then they're idiots, and we don't worry about what idiots think of us. Go on with your bad self. Rock it out. :glasses: