I want to cut sugar, help needed

Options
2»

Replies

• chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Research is starting to say that fructose is the REAL culprit in obesity. This video is super long but explains it all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dBnniua6-oM
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Research is starting to say that fructose is the REAL culprit in obesity. This video is super long but explains it all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dBnniua6-oM
    The actual research behind that opinion is minimal and inconclusive
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I didn't eat a ton of sugar to begin with (I never have been a soda drinker, I prefer water and I don't eat many sweets) but I found I had trouble at first when I wanted to cut out some of the sugar I was consuming (from my french vanilla coffee creamer for example lol)

I HATE splenda and all of that other crap - BAD aftertaste lol. I am also unsure if splenda is all that good for you

but I did find Xylitol was a good substitution. It has been used in Europe for decades for diabetics because it does have a very low GI of 7 and won't spike the blood sugar. It also apparently has 40% of the calories of sugar but it also doesn't have the aftertaste that I hate in things like splenda :)

It is a sugar alcohol made from Birch trees or corn and can be substituted one for one with sugar because it has the same sweetness :) The only downside is you cannot consume too much daily or it can give intestinal issues because it is an alcohol :) but I have no issue putting it in my coffee with half and half every morning :)

It is also good for dental health :)
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is suspicious that the guy in the video is the only guy who seems to be saying this
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Someone else said it already, but I want to reiterate that replacing natural sugars with foods that have high fructose corn syrup is a bad choice. I wanted to increase the yogurt that I eat to get more protein and I thought I would go with the "light" versions. Except that when they take out the sugar, they put in the HFCS. I found a brand that only one local store carries that is high protein, low sugar, and not full of HFCS, so I use it exclusively. I don't even do flavored Greek yogurt for the same reason. It is really hard to get rid of added sugars, but it is possible. I can only tolerate a small amount of sugar-filled food before getting sick, but fruit does not have that effect on me, so I am pretty certain that the refined sugar is specifically what makes me ill. With that knowledge, and knowing that natural sugars are not as bad, I agree with so many other posters that keeping fruit in your diet will not hurt, and may even be helpful. Good luck finding those things that are lower in sugar.

Oh, it's in things like BBQ sauce too, but there are recipes available online for simple versions of things like BBQ sauce, ketchup, cole slaw, etc, that have minimal sugar. Although most call for sweetener (usually splenda), I have found that I don't want even half the amount that is called for in the recipe. You definitely have to be willing to play around with the recipe to make it fit you and your family!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Any time you cut out a food group, you lose weight. And sugar is in many many things.

You have to think, what are you going to eat? Can you never go to a restaurant or a party?
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Replacing things gradually is helping for me. One of my favorite breakfasts is oatmeal, and I used to add about 4 spoonfuls of sugar to it... then two plus some raisins, and now it's just raisins. I also keep fruity flavored yogurt on hand along with plain and greek, and hope to cut that out eventually too. Luckily, I prefer the flavor of wheat and whole grains so those sneaky simple carbs only get in when they're forced on me.

Cutting all sweetened drinks (EXCEPT my own coffee and tea) has helped me too. Make sure you portion out spoonfuls of sugar.

As for sweets, individually-wrapped chocolates were doing wonders for curving my cravings (70 or less calories for full sugar, flavor, etc.), though I've heard it triggers binges for some people. I might actually quit those too... I'm getting into a habit of having one every day instead of just when I crave it.

Refined sugar is tough to kick... I can't imagine trying to kick fruits as well! Good luck to you all!