Cutting fat

Options
Hey all,

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track so was looking for some advice. I am trying to cut fat but am struggling, I have taken advice from the owners of my gym on diet and exercise but I'm not entirely sure they know exactly what they are talking about. I have been advised to have one phd diet whey after exercise as a meal replacement. I know food is better that whey protein but I have 3 children so struggle to find the time to eat, I usually work out doing short blasts at high intensity which makes me burn approx 300kcals a day. I workout 5 days a week, I have a small handful of granola before a workout as I don't get much chance to eat before going so grab that to start my metabolism off. My diary is open if anyone wants to take a look..here are my stats....

Height: 5'2
Weight: 123lbs
Waist:28inchs
Hips:33inchs

My scales say body fat 19.6% but I don't think this is correct as I can see too much tummy fat. I'm not sure how to post a pic.

Replies

• PetiteLittleFlower
    PetiteLittleFlower Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Pics on my account!
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options
    Anyone?
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options
    Also is it ok to have these shakes on days I don't work out?
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No a whey protein shake is like replacing it with a chicken breast or fish as far as protein. They won't make you gain weight as long as you stay in a deficient. Looks like you need more fat and calories. Should try for 45+ fat grams or so.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I also have three kids, 5, 6 and 8 :) For me personally I've found that doing 8:16 IF with a two meal format and no snacking works really well. I break my fast at 11am with my largest meal of the day and then eat a slightly smaller meal at around 6pm. Love the simplicity of this schedule! I walk 10-12 miles a week and also do a strength training program at home three days a week. I don't eat or drink anything special before or afterwards.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion to eat real food, not shakes and meal replacements. I'm a single mom and I make most things from scratch. But I also IF so that takes care of breakfast. lol

Since you have children it is very likely that your stomach will never again look like it did before children. That's not a bad thing, just something to learn to accept. But I'm not saying not to get strong; get strong for sure!
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options
    Fat from fish, avocados or nuts or just any fat? I know I need to cut out the little sweets I have lol but that's my big downfall. I'm starting bk on it tomorrow, I just struggle to eat so much as I eat so many times a day already to keep my metabolism going but what I'm doing doesn't seem to be working anymore. Do you think it could be the amount of sugar? I stick to low gi foods and don't eat a lot of carbs. I started off at 35% body fat according to my scales (but that was 3 weeks after giving birth). How is everyone else measuring body fat?
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Eating a certain amount of meals per day does not jump start your metabolism or keep it going-this is a fallacy that's been debunked. Some people prefer to eat several times a day and others prefer one or two large meals a day. But, it's a preference thing and nothing more :)
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options
    If you look at my pics my tummy is fine, I just want to loose fat as I hold it around my tummy area. I was actually a lot bigger before I had my children, I have no sag or stretch marks so that's not my problem. I know food is better but I have an 8,3 and 17 week old baby so I don't get a lot of time. I make all my own soups and sauces from scratch and I only eat organic food. Shakes are ideal for me as I was not getting enough calories previously
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options
    Ok thank you. I do struggle to find the time to eat so many times a day lol so that helps. I have only ever got advice from my gym owners so have just gone by what they say
  • Harder_Better_Faster_Stronger
    Options
    Fat gets stored quickest in the body. Humans CAN store carbs and proteins as fat but it requires more calories to do so. Which means you're better off eating low fat.
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options
    I also have three kids, 5, 6 and 8 :) For me personally I've found that doing 8:16 IF with a two meal format and no snacking works really well. I break my fast at 11am with my largest meal of the day and then eat a slightly smaller meal at around 6pm. Love the simplicity of this schedule! I walk 10-12 miles a week and also do a strength training program at home three days a week. I don't eat or drink anything special before or afterwards.

I'm new to this Hun, what is 8:16?
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options
    Fat gets stored quickest in the body. Humans CAN store carbs and proteins as fat but it requires more calories to do so. Which means you're better off eating low fat.

Ahhhh conflicting views. So am I better off sticking with a low fat diet, increasing proteins and whom grain carbs?
    Options
    I would stick to fruits and vegetables for carbs. Grains arent as healthy as they once thought.
  • ntdrive
    ntdrive Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Lift weights
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options
    Lift weights

Lol I do light weights, squats, 2 min planks and crunches?
    Options
    I dont see any fat on you to cut
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    Options

I'm petite lol but trust me there is fat to cut. I should post a more recent pic I suppose, I have lost a few lbs but my tummy is so bloated.

Thank you anyway :-) I'm not trying to get too small, just loose fat and gain a little definition
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

This!

You are at like maximum hotness! Just maintain!

And post more pics!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

If you're at a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter at all. If you're at maintenance level of calories it doesn't matter at all. If you're at a surplus of calories, you're going to gain weight and put on fat either way. Fat is essential...get your google out and do some research. Monounsaturated fats like those from nuts, avocado, nut butters, olive oil, etc help combat heart disease. You can look at study after study of low fat dieting and note increased rates of heart disease. It is also essential for brain function, nervous system function, hormone regulation, etc. The '80s are over...dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Everyone should be getting about 20-30% of their diet from fat depending on how active they are.