Food scale- weigh meat before or after cooking?

Options
BluthLover
BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
When do I weigh my meat? Before I cook it or after? TIA!

Replies

• Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I weight mine before. Most of the nutrition labels list calories before cooking.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I usually weight mine before just for the simple fact that most of the time it is part of a mixture when I am done cooking so impossible to weight on its own. I think the database has values for both uncooked and cooked meat. The primary difference would probably be any fat lost in the cooking process that would alter the values. Most ratios are 4 oz uncooked ~= 3 oz cooked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Standard is before, unless the packaging indicates otherwise. Often bacon calories say "per 2 cooked slices". If it doesn't stipulate that, it is assume you weigh before hand.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I weigh it cooked, just seems easier and less of a mess. If there is indeed a big calorie difference then I guess my TDEE is higher than I think it is.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh it before, because whatever I'm cooking it with is going to absorb the juices and such. I guess if it has bones, like a whole chicken, then you should just weigh the meat you put on your plate though.