Working Out Just To Eat :(

Options
NoeHead
NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
The past couple of days I have been especially hungry. I usually am good with staying under my caloric goals but it feels like lately I work out just so I can eat dinner. I try to "budget it out" but I get so hungry! I am trying to let go of processed foods, and sugar and i'm allergic to most fruits and nuts. I work out 5 days a week and recently increased weight training to three days in addition to 4 days cardio so I'm kind of beginning to question my MFP caloric suggestion of 1490 cals. However, I don't want to just up my cals. Am I doing something wrong here?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Might be linked to your cycle. It happens to me every month at some point.

Make sure you eat your exercise calories though (which you are supposed to do with MFP), or switch to TDEE-20%, which is what I did when i got tired of having to use my HRM all the time, or yes, you'll be very hungry.
  • mollyboston
    Options
    This happens to me all the time. I figure I can eat more in the day if I work out. Like tonight, my husband is making us steaks and potatoes for dinner. I better go and work out so its not such a big hit. i am in the same boat as you are!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with exercising to eat. Seriously, exercise is good for improving overall health. So, if that is your motivation to move good.
  • kahlanva
    kahlanva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I go thru the same thing...last week, I was on what I call "the vacuum diet" if it wasn't nailed down, I was inhaling it. I try and have 2-4 saltine crackers and a HUGE cup of lemon tea...that helps me most of the time not to eat everything in sight...

Good luck girl and keep at it! You're doing amazing!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with exercising to eat. Seriously, exercise is good for improving overall health. So, if that is your motivation to move good.

I agree with this ^^ I have hungry days and I just try to exercise more those day, or eat less the next day to even it out. If you are hungry every day then I'd suggest looking at your diet in general. Are you getting enough protein? Enough fat? Fat and protein are more filling IMO. If ou are then I'd up your overall intake a little. You'll still lose.
  • SydneyRenee2
    SydneyRenee2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's great you're working out that much so kuddos to you! I would most definitely eliminate ALL processed foods and as much sugar as possible because they are most likely your culprits. You should try to eat fruits - all the berries are good and lower in sugar, veggies - not the starchy ones, whole grains, and lean meats. I try to limit the amount of red meat because it's so high in cholesterol. I also have double checked all my calories against the labels to what it says on mfp because they're not always right on here. Hope this helps!! :)
  • SydneyRenee2
    Options
    Also, what do you have your macros set to? It's really important to have them set right so you know you're getting the correct amount of carbs/protein/fat.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Really?

If you're hungry all the time it's because your food choices are bunk and need to be changed.

Figure out your RMR and work back from there. You can do a search through this forum to find a lot of information related to everything you just posted.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options

This is my life haha, and I'm ok with it!
  • NoeHead
    Options
    Also, what do you have your macros set to? It's really important to have them set right so you know you're getting the correct amount of carbs/protein/fat.

I may be answering this incorrectly, but i have it set to monitor calories, protein fat, sugar and carbs. It is set automatically for me to lose 1.5 lbs a week. I checked the TDEE and there is quite a difference in caloric intake but stuck with mfp because for awhile it was working. now I find myself more hungry so i've been bringing salad to eat that as a snack with a little olive oil (1TBSP) and balsamic vinegar. I'm now thinking of switching if i stay this hungry for long.
  • NoeHead
    Options
    This happens to me all the time. I figure I can eat more in the day if I work out. Like tonight, my husband is making us steaks and potatoes for dinner. I better go and work out so its not such a big hit. i am in the same boat as you are!

yup! same boat but i have a lot of weight to lose lol so here's hoping it will workout. i'm afraid to change what i doing simply because i've been losing somewhat steadily.
  • SydneyRenee2
    Options

I may be answering this incorrectly, but i have it set to monitor calories, protein fat, sugar and carbs. It is set automatically for me to lose 1.5 lbs a week. I checked the TDEE and there is quite a difference in caloric intake but stuck with mfp because for awhile it was working. now I find myself more hungry so i've been bringing salad to eat that as a snack with a little olive oil (1TBSP) and balsamic vinegar. I'm now thinking of switching if i stay this hungry for long.

To set your ratios you go to goals which you'll find on your home page. Then click change goals and choose custom. You can then set them to what you would like. The one that works for me best is 40%carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. There's also a fat shredder ratio that's 10% higher and protein & lower in carbs. I usually do that for a month to lose extra weight and then switch to the first one I told you about.

You're going to have a "detox" phase though if you plan to get off all the processed foods. They are high in sodium which will cause you to retain more water. They have all kinds of chemicals that are also keeping you hungry and are really bad for you body.

I always set a small goal like a 10 lb loss and then reward myself with a SMALL treat. It gives you something to look forward to and gives you incentive to stay on track.

If you'd like I can take a look at your diary for you and give you some pointers.

Good luck to you! You can do this!! :)
  • NoeHead
    Options

To set your ratios you go to goals which you'll find on your home page. Then click change goals and choose custom. You can then set them to what you would like. The one that works for me best is 40%carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. There's also a fat shredder ratio that's 10% higher and protein & lower in carbs. I usually do that for a month to lose extra weight and then switch to the first one I told you about.

You're going to have a "detox" phase though if you plan to get off all the processed foods. They are high in sodium which will cause you to retain more water. They have all kinds of chemicals that are also keeping you hungry and are really bad for you body.

I always set a small goal like a 10 lb loss and then reward myself with a SMALL treat. It gives you something to look forward to and gives you incentive to stay on track.

If you'd like I can take a look at your diary for you and give you some pointers.

Good luck to you! You can do this!! :)

yes please it's open for a peek! that sounds like a good idea, i think i'll switch to the custom goals you set. i try to set my reward with a non food reward simply because it feels like that;s what i did. i do try and fit in a skinny cow ice cream cone once in awhile though!