Running in street clothes

Options

Replies

• TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I'd like to see a woman trying to jog in not only a dress but high heels as well.
    I've done it, but certainly not on purpose!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see a woman trying to jog in not only a dress but high heels as well.

One of my signature drunken moves is running home the five blocks from my favourite club at 3AM in whatever glittery ensemble I wore and the heels to match. Somehow I feel like it's okay not to join my friends in their cab if I look purposeful, haha.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

HaHa! They just had a 5k memorial run near where I live about a month ago and everyone (girls and guys) wore high heels. It was fun to see- I was not brave enough to participate as I have trouble even walking in high heels.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

I played a round of Golf in flip flops before (used a kart obv). I was drunk though and forgot my socks and putting on my golf cleats without socks just didnt seem like a good idea at the time. I guess that's kinda weird.

I've done this one more than once....last Friday I stepped in a deceptively deep puddle, the wet socks and shoes were awful.

I was in the gym the othere day and a guy came in in jeans and a Red Sox jersey. Didn't look look like comfortable workout clothes to me, but he was there for less than 10 minutes, so I guess it was fine for him. I guess any way you want to work out is better than not working out, but I just don't get it.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

One of my signature drunken moves is running home the five blocks from my favourite club at 3AM in whatever glittery ensemble I wore and the heels to match. Somehow I feel like it's okay not to join my friends in their cab if I look purposeful, haha.

exactly!

or lets say you are dressed to the nines, and it starts pouring!
    or sometimes, after a few drinks, on a whim, or a dare!
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine working out in anything but wicking material anymore, that's got to feel disgusting, but I guess if you're ok with it, more power to you... What I don't get is when I see people running in flip flops. I know it's Texas and it's hot, but please, DON'T... You'll just hurt yourself in the end.

Must be a Dallas thing. Lol. Living here in Houston, never in my life have I seen anyone running in flip-flops.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So I know we have all seen it.

Your driving down the street (or running) and you see a fella running at a slow and steady pace but he's wearing jeans.

at first you have that thought of WTF? Then you try to figure out if he's running from something or if he has somewhere he needs to be in a hurry. Usually that's not the case and they are just running for exercise.

How hard is it to throw on a pair "workout" type shorts or sweats? I just cannot wrap my head around it.

Anyone here prefer to run in Jorts and a Polo?

I think that may have gotten harder when the economy went down.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The only persons clothing I take notice of at the gym is the tiny guy that comes dressed like John cena. Mostly because I love it.

Jorts, cena tshirt, double cena sweatbands on the wrist, and one on his head. Everyday! Fantastic.

But running in those baggy jean shorts, can't think of anything worse.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A couple of notes:

If you see someone in street clothes riding a bike you are probably anywhere in the world except North America. Commuting by bike is not considered a reason for a whole separate outfit in most parts of the world. (Ever see pictures of traffic in Amsterdam?)

What's the problem with running in a dress? Most of the people making comments complain about chafing - not an issue with a dress. Also not an issue with a thigh gap. Also, people ran for millennia without the benefit of wicking fabric - still do in most of the world unless they are rich, or high level athletes.

No one can run effectively in high heels. Heck, most of us can't even walk very effectively in them. This is in no way the same as wearing non "workout gear" clothes for running or bike riding. If it works for the person doing it, what's your issue?

Some marketing people out there are pretty clever convincing so many of us to spend wads of our hard earned cash on specially designed "high tech", cool looking clothes just for sweating in.......
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So I know we have all seen it.

Your driving down the street (or running) and you see a fella running at a slow and steady pace but he's wearing jeans.

at first you have that thought of WTF?

and then you realize.... hipsters!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

that reminds me of the 'old days' when i was constantly late for the train - sure, i'd take the heels off before running though...

as for people running (for exercise) in their everyday clothes - as long as they change into a fresh set after, why would i care?
    i wouldn't do it personally, because exercise clothes are just so much more comfortable :-)
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ok i am sure I will get beat of for this one. But really we are judging someone over their clothes? Maybe he cant afford sweats, maybe he knows if he takes the time to change he might not get that run in. there are so many factors out there i just think who cares what someone wears great that he is jogging so many dont.. including me..
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I actually have a running dress--okay, technically, it's a cycling dress, but I wear it for running sometimes. There are lots of athletic dresses and skirts available in wicking fabrics these days--some are cute enough that people might mistake them for street wear at first glance.

Mine is like this, only in different fabric:
    635057C920_onmodel_M.jpg

And this is on my birthday list:
    Share.jpg
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options

I ran a Warrior Dash in a 1980s prom dress (and tiara) ... but I wore running shoes.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine working out in anything but wicking material anymore, that's got to feel disgusting, but I guess if you're ok with it, more power to you... What I don't get is when I see people running in flip flops. I know it's Texas and it's hot, but please, DON'T... You'll just hurt yourself in the end.
    Like running for exercise in flip flops? WTH? I'm eagerly awaiting the day I see that one.

I saw this article of a guy who run a marathon in flip flops. His time was a very respectful 2:46 hours.
    http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/pulse/201210/man-runs-246-marathon-flip-flops-runners-world
    Not for me, though. World is a strange place.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Haha my mind went a totally different direction with "street" clothes lol carry on.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I actually have a running dress--okay, technically, it's a cycling dress, but I wear it for running sometimes. There are lots of athletic dresses and skirts available in wicking fabrics these days--some are cute enough that people might mistake them for street wear at first glance.

Mine is like this, only in different fabric:
    635057C920_onmodel_M.jpg

And this is on my birthday list:
    Share.jpg

Where is that second pic from? I have a wanting.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what someone wears? It's their loss if they don't change into clothes that are more appropriate and comfortable for working out. To each his own.

Thank you!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    who gives a ****