Running - Can push divots in my shins? Whats wrong?

Options
Well I am doing great on my weight loss plan. About a month ago I started running about 3-5 miles 4-5 days a week. Sometimes my shins hurt but not too bad. I started at 275 and I'm currently down to 244.

Anyway last night a few hours after my run, I noticed both lower shins slightly swollen. Not my feet, not my ankles, just my middle shins. There wasnt really any pain although I do have some tenderness on the inside shin when I squeeze them. I could push divots in my shins which freaked me out. My socks were tight and my lower leg looked goofy and misshapen when I pulled my socks down, moreso on one leg but I could push divots on both. Could it be I injured myself from running and it caused them to swell?

The swelling went away overnight and now my shins look normal but I can still slightly press small divots in my inside lower shins only. Not my outside calfs, not my ankles, not my feet.

I have had some high sodium over 3000mg the last few days but I wouldn't expect that would be the cause even though I know you can retain water from high sodium. Ive had high sodium before and never noticed this.

I only drink water and drank a bunch yesterday but why would my body be holding water in my shins if thats the culprit?

I read online that an edema called pitting edema where you can push divots in your skin can be a serious health issue such as congestive heart failure or kidney trouble. I have neither as far as I know.

Has anyone experienced anything like I am from running? I am hoping maybe its due to over stressing from running and the skin will get to normal so I cant push anymore divots into my shins, but I'm not sure.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by saying it would be a good idea to visit the doctor. That being said, it sounds like fluid buildup, probably from the pressure of running.
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey now you know one little part of what it feels like to be pregnant! It's probably water retention and you're salt may be too high, but I agree with seeing the doctor as it can mean you have high blood pressure.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints to me. Have you been properly fitted for running shoes?
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by saying it would be a good idea to visit the doctor. That being said, it sounds like fluid buildup, probably from the pressure of running.

I agree with this. Especially since you changed your routine recently.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey bro.. that's completly normal.. Try to use a proper shoe and don't stop your runs, soon that pain gonna stop...