Cut first or build muscle first?

Options
Hi guys, I'm pretty new, first post right here.

I'm currently sitting at 16% bodyfat, my main goals are to build muscle but to do so whilst staying lean.
I'm not looking to do a traditional 'bulk' as some bodybuilders do to gain more muscle, as i am a little
worried about losing the fat afterwards. Just wondering should i get rid of the excess fat first and build
muscle second or the other way around?

Replies

• nanosuitninja
    nanosuitninja Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    anyone?..
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My best guess would be to build first. The extra muscle is tissue that has to be supported, and its presence has an effect on testosterone levels in the body, which in turn has additional benefit for losing fat. Then you can go on a strength maintenance/fat loss diet. That's maintenance, not gaining... For someone that's already at a good body fat percentage gaining muscle and losing fat together seem to be counterproductive. Just my best understanding, though, and I'm far from an expert. Best of luck.
  • kfitz85
    kfitz85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's hard to bulk without putting on unnecessary fat. I'm focusing on cutting for the summer and then I'll start bulking in the winter.
  • nanosuitninja
    Options
    Ok, cheers guys, appreciate the advice. Think i'll go for adding muscle first and losing fat second then, thanks.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just started about a month and half ago (1st post here) and I had the same question before I started. I was 6'1" 200 lbs, with a not-terrible build but with a bigger gut than I'd like.

I opted to cut first so I could at least start from a decent body fat %. Of course when I bulk I'll put on fat too, but I think the gains will be a bit cleaner than if I had started with bulking. Plus as kfitz mentioned... it's just about summer time.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Judging by your pics you're already pretty lean. If I were you, I'd opt for a bulk at this point.
  • Quix82
    Quix82 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's hard to bulk without putting on unnecessary fat. I'm focusing on cutting for the summer and then I'll start bulking in the winter.

This is what I'm doing.
    I'll probably do a slow bulk of half a pound a week during the winter.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Unless you already have a fairly low level of body fat starting off with a bulk can be a very bad idea.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bulk first using 40/30/30 carb/fat/protein ratio and lots of extra calories, around 15 x your body weight

then cut using 30/40/30 ratio and cut your calories by 800 - 1000
  • PhatBassTurd
    PhatBassTurd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If youre new to lifting you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. If not you shouldnt have to use tremendous extra calories to put on muscle mass. Maybe 250 extra calories a day because if you train hard, eat right, and recover well you're looking at 1-2 lbs. of muscle added a month (if you're just starting.) So 250 times 7 = 1750. 1750 times 4 = 7000. 3500 calories is equal to 1 lb. So just a little extra food is necessary to build muscle.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position. I decided to cut for the summer. Then bulk this winter. I know I can cut again next spring.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? How did you figure 16% bf?
  • nanosuitninja
    Options
    I'm pretty light for my height, 135lbs 5ft 9in
    As for my bf% i have some of those electric scales that measure conductivity in your body to find bf%
    I know it's not incredibly accurate but they are pretty consistent and it seems right for me.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty light for my height, 135lbs 5ft 9in
    As for my bf% i have some of those electric scales that measure conductivity in your body to find bf%
    I know it's not incredibly accurate but they are pretty consistent and it seems right for me.

We're the same height and you weigh less than me. I have low levels of fat for a woman. You need to bulk.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    it depends what your goals are man

if youre looking to get ripped, get a 6 pack.. then continue cutting (focus on eating clean, at a caloric deficit)..

if your goal is to bulk up and build muscle.. then focus on eating clean, but add a few hundred calories to your maintenance.

i was struggling with the same questions.. and i decided to bulk first - but got injured at hockey so now i am doing a cut for a few months until my back recovers.

to each their own ;)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You can focus more on muscle endurance than gain, so that way excess calories won't be added and fat wont be gained. And with increased endurance comes slight strength gain. Once you lean out more you can always switch up to strength/size. To work more endurance go with the weight needed to reach about 15 reps rather than 6-8 for strength.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    At 5'-9", 135lb I think a nutrition plan for muscle growth is a good idea. I think trying to stay too lean during the muscle growth phase is going to lead to slower muscle growth than you might want, but you don't have to turn into a lardazz to gain some muscle. I attached a link to an article discussing the realities of the various methods for muscle growth. This author is a no BS kind of guy.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • nanosuitninja
    Options
    Hehe, well if that wasn't motivating enough i don't know what is, thanks for the advice, think i'm going for a bulk.
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Clean bulk and lift heavy till you start to feel that you look fat, Do 2-3 months cut and repeat again.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    lose the weight (chubb) and then build muscle (SEXY)