Thinking about moving from Chicagoland to North Carolina

Options
C110266
C110266 Posts: 67 Member
Any thoughts on this? I am in a new chapter in my life as my kids left for college in the Fall. I feel that I have probably 2 more years here in the home I am in, in the suburbs of Chicago. Suddenly, I am being drawn to North Carolina. I need heat, as much sunny days as possible, the ocean nearby, but not close enough for hurricanes to destroy my home, and I love the mountains. I am a nature girl at heart and love spirituality, holistic wellness, and genuine people. Any thoughts on where to start?

Replies

• 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    North Carolina is a great place to live. Depending upon where you are within the state, you'd be a couple of hours from the vp each and a couple of hours to the mountains. Based on what you've said about yourself, I would recommend the Raleigh area west toward the mountains. The smaller Eastern NC towns may not be as appealing to you.
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I live in WNC and personally think its awesome.

I am a nature girl at heart and love spirituality, holistic wellness, and genuine people. < This says you should check out Asheville NC. Come down for a week and spend time getting the feel for the area, and I guarantee you will love it!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I was going to say California until you said genuine people. Unfortunately people here are high maintenance :sad:

And I say this as I live here, but I was born and raised in NY.

I do have a friend in North Carolina and she loves it. Her husband is a Marine and was transferred there. She said cost of living was decent, and she could get to a beach (She lives here, then in WI, WI she didn't have one). She seems to like it.

I wish you luck and hope you find what you are looking for!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    DO IT.

I am in Northwest Indiana and went to NC a couple years ago on vacation. I stayed in Winston Salem. I loved everything about NC, I thought about staying. I wish I would have. I regret not staying all the time.
  • C110266
    Options
    Wow thanks guys! Funny I always thought West Coast and it's just not progressing for me. I was told I need to look East. I have had N Carolina cross my path several times in the last few months. i just need to get there. Thank you. Appreciate your words and gosh you guys are right on the money! Sounds incredible. I just need to get my job situation figured out as I want out of the corporate world and want to open my own wellness center. Working on it. Trying to find my way. I only have me to count on so...:) I appreciate your kind replies. Thank you.
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Take it from a North Carolinian it IS the best!! Our summers are HOT and Muggy. Our driving in snow is hilarious. Our beaches are amazing. Our mountains breath-taking. If you tend to be more liberal-you are gonna wanna do the whole Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill thing. If you are a bit more conservative you might like Charlotte area. I live in Durham and I am 3 hours from both the beach and the mountains. There's a reason we say "I like calling North Carolina HOME" If you wanna come visit you let me know I will be glad to show you around!!!
  • MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina. I am from Goldsboro, which is about an hour from the beach, and you might want to think about checking out an area near there. Goldsboro is an Air Force town, it's not too big but it has grown a lot, so there are plenty of stores, restaurants, etc., but the traffic isn't as bad as in Raleigh. Greenville is a bit busier, but it's a university town. I'm not a big fan of Raleigh, etc. myself because the area is too busy for me, but if you are from a busy place, you might like it.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Won't you miss the high taxes, governors in jail, nepotism, favoritism, and general corruption that Illinois is so well known for? :devil:

We're outa here in the next couple years.

If the state of Illinois was a business they'd be losing customers left and right.
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina. I am from Goldsboro, which is about an hour from the beach, and you might want to think about checking out an area near there. Goldsboro is an Air Force town, it's not too big but it has grown a lot, so there are plenty of stores, restaurants, etc., but the traffic isn't as bad as in Raleigh. Greenville is a bit busier, but it's a university town. I'm not a big fan of Raleigh, etc. myself because the area is too busy for me, but if you are from a busy place, you might like it.

This IS true! Traffic is a nightmare!! Good point!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Charlotte is a great place to live. Small enough to be small town-ish, yet large enough to have the big city appeal.
    The food is fantastic, the people are polite and pleasant, and there's tons of stuff to do here.

You're three hours from the beach, and two hours from the mountains. What else could you want?!? :-)

ETA I am a Southwest Florida transplant, and the humidity is NOTHING compared to that Florida mugginess!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

This IS true! Traffic is a nightmare!! Good point!!

LOL It's nothing compared to Chicago!
    This is a cakewalk compared to that traffic!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Do it.
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham, Raleigh, and Cary. I love NC. The summers get a bit hot and muggy for me, and I would like a little more snow in the winter, but otherwise, it's great. Like you say, there are plenty of places to live that are convenient to the ocean and the mountains. RTP is probably my favorite because of the diversity. I'm not sure what you are looking for, but there are several very nice suburbs around Raleigh. Yet still close to the culture of Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh. You get a lot of the benefits of larger cities, without all of the issues. Several lakes, hiking areas, and a very expansive greenway system for outdoors.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Chicago or North Carolina. But I'm from the UK and I moved to New Zealand- best decision I ever made.

I think if your gut tells you it's right, then go for it. The worst thing you could do is not give it a go and regret it. If you move there and hate it, you can always go back. I'm sure Chicago isn't going anywhere.

Good luck.

Once you make the decision, don't second guess yourself because you might scare yourself out of following it through. Just get on with arranging the finer details.
    I love it when people are starting off new- such an exciting time!
  • KalaMakaKoa
    KalaMakaKoa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I live in Hendersonville, NC (Down the road from Asheville.) I have also lived in Wilson, NC (About 45 minutes east of Raleigh._ Greenville, NC is nice. I will warn against moving to Hendersonville. We have a terrible influx of tourists and snowbirds in the Spring and Summer. They are some of the rudest people you will ever meet. I prefer the eastern part of the state where hospitality is common and the beach is closer. :)
  • C110266
    Options
    Won't you miss the high taxes, governors in jail, nepotism, favoritism, and general corruption that Illinois is so well known for? :devil:

We're outa here in the next couple years.

If the state of Illinois was a business they'd be losing customers left and right.

Amen to that. My gosh why bother making any money here they take it all. It is quite pathetic. People are just not overly friendly here too. I do enjoy a day or two in the city of Chicago but that's it for me. I have been a suburb girl my whole life. There are plenty of lovely places like Galena and quaint towns like St Charles. (And many more). Can you believe I have lived in my home for over 12 yrs and don't even know my neighbors? People don't say hello to people anywhere when you cross paths except maybe a bike/walking path. Could be part my fault there but I just want to be around nice people that aren't afraid to LIVE and enjoy life and do things out of the kindness of their hearts. Too stressful here. Unreal situation with our government. Sadly, it's everywhere but predominantly here. Thank you for your comment :).
  • C110266
    Options
    Take it from a North Carolinian it IS the best!! Our summers are HOT and Muggy. Our driving in snow is hilarious. Our beaches are amazing. Our mountains breath-taking. If you tend to be more liberal-you are gonna wanna do the whole Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill thing. If you are a bit more conservative you might like Charlotte area. I live in Durham and I am 3 hours from both the beach and the mountains. There's a reason we say "I like calling North Carolina HOME" If you wanna come visit you let me know I will be glad to show you around!!!

Perfect! I love hot and muggy as long as there is AC available when I want it. (i.e.: sleeping). I didn't know there was a saying "Iike calling NC Home!" Cool! That would be awesome of you to show me around. How kind of you, thank you. I need to figure out when I can get there in the next couple of months here. :). Hmm to drive or fly :)
  • C110266
    Options
    I live in Hendersonville, NC (Down the road from Asheville.) I have also lived in Wilson, NC (About 45 minutes east of Raleigh._ Greenville, NC is nice. I will warn against moving to Hendersonville. We have a terrible influx of tourists and snowbirds in the Spring and Summer. They are some of the rudest people you will ever meet. I prefer the eastern part of the state where hospitality is common and the beach is closer. :)

Thank you Crazy! I wrote it all down in my notebook. >Thank you, Kindly :) Have a blessed day.
  • C110266
    Options
    I don't know anything about Chicago or North Carolina. But I'm from the UK and I moved to New Zealand- best decision I ever made.

I think if your gut tells you it's right, then go for it. The worst thing you could do is not give it a go and regret it. If you move there and hate it, you can always go back. I'm sure Chicago isn't going anywhere.

Good luck.

Once you make the decision, don't second guess yourself because you might scare yourself out of following it through. Just get on with arranging the finer details.
    I love it when people are starting off new- such an exciting time!

Thank you, Bonjour! I feel the same way. I do know I am going, I am just not 100% where yet. The economy is not helping with my home situation. I have to wait that out a bit but i may rent it for a time being. The biggest decision is leaving my job after 16 years in the corporate world. I need to do it for my sanity but not quite ready financially either. Working on how, when, where. Thank you too on the 2nd guess comment. We need to believe in ourselves and know that we made the right decisions. It's TIME :)
  • C110266
    Options
    I have lived in Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham, Raleigh, and Cary. I love NC. The summers get a bit hot and muggy for me, and I would like a little more snow in the winter, but otherwise, it's great. Like you say, there are plenty of places to live that are convenient to the ocean and the mountains. RTP is probably my favorite because of the diversity. I'm not sure what you are looking for, but there are several very nice suburbs around Raleigh. Yet still close to the culture of Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh. You get a lot of the benefits of larger cities, without all of the issues. Several lakes, hiking areas, and a very expansive greenway system for outdoors.

Wow THECAT! My hairs are sticking up. Thanks for the comment on the outdoor part of it. Very important to me as well. I am a tree hugger :), and enjoy being active outdoors. Loving this thank you for your comment :0).