Any obese people doing Insanity?

Options
I just finished Day 3 of Insanity and am really impressed with the intensity of these workouts. I'm about 6'4 and weigh 293 lbs, but I figured that even though I'm obese if I just tried to keep up with the program for two months I'd lose lots of weight. I can't get through all of it, but I modify the parts I can't do yet, for example, I sub regular pushups for the V-pushups. I'm just curious to see if anybody else was doing Insanity who has a lot of weight to lose. Let me know and if you want friend me so we can motivate each other.

Replies

• jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I used to be obese, now just overweight........semantics.
    Like you, I would modify and take many breaks over the course of the workout.

I found that after a few weeks, my endurance increased, and I could last longer and longer..........until I got to the point where I didn't need breaks anymore. Am I doing as many reps as they are on the screen.......hell no, but I am pushing all the way until the timer reads 0:00 without stopping.

I will definitely friend.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I started out at 215 doing Jillian Michaels, right at the cusp of obese for my height. While it's not Insanity, the workouts are very similar. I couldn't do any type of plyometric moves at first, as I was simply too heavy. I did what you are doing - I modified the more difficult moves, and did as much as I could manage. As long as I was pushing myself, it was enough, even if I couldn't complete each circuit without struggling..

As I lost weight, my endurance and strength increased. Not only was it fun losing weight, but it was great seeing what my body was capable of!

Now at my goal weight, I can get through the entire workout without stopping or having to modify anything - I do the majority of the moves at the advanced level.

Hats off to you, my friend. You will get there!!!
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 39 and I just started it today. I'm a pretty wimpy girl, so I can't even do a push up right now. (It's so sad.) But, I held the plank position in the best form I possibly could until the time ran out. I may not being doing so well right now, but I figure it's still ok because at least I'm moving! I got really light-headed toward the end and started to see "stars". I decided that was a good time to stop. It was the end of the last exercise, so I am cutting myself a little slack. Besides the near-blackout, I feel pretty awesome right now. I'm not even ashamed to admit I'm so out of shape. (The first step is always admitting you've got a problem, right?) I definitely plan to continue tomorrow. :)
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    When I did insanity about 1.5 yrs ago, I was overweight and I could not get through a workout. I didn't start the program at first. I rotated the first week until..

1. I could get through a full video
    2. I could do Insanity every day.

It took me about 2 weeks to get there. The first day of Insanity, I threw up! I was so determined to get through the program. I would skip one, sometimes 2 days between workouts because I hurt so bad that I wanted to cry.

You can do this! A year and a half ago I was 30 lbs heavier and really out of shape. I lost the weight and now run half marathons on a regular basis. I thank my determination and Shaun T for showing me that I could do anything if I tried hard enough. I know that sounds cheesy...but it's true.

Good luck!