Gain muscle & lower body fat percentage....?

I'm really stuck and don't know what to do I want to get a lower body fat percentage and abs but dont want to lose any muscle, what does everyone suggest I do? (Im really scared of gaining fat) and is there any good supps to help boost my results? any advice would be appreciated.. oh p.s check out my pics i uploaded today on my profile

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    eat at a deficit to lose fat.
    lift heavy.
  • So if I eat at around 500 calorie defict and lift heavy 5 days a week I'll lose weight and gain muscle? as long as I keep my protein up?
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    look into cycling (not the type with pedals) eat a calorie deficit for a month and do more cardio and heavy lift. then the next month eat a diet more conducive to building muscle (good fats, protein, carbs) and a workout plan that is more suited to bulking up. next month burn fat its a slow process but the most legit way.
  • Sweet Andrew Ill check that out
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    People who gain muscle while cutting fat are beginner weight lifters, those who have been out of gym for a while and just returning, and those on anabolic drugs such as steroids. if you're intermediate or advanced, natural, and not returning after a lay off, the best you can do is cut body fat while trying to minimize muscle loss.

The standard method to preserve lean mass is to weight lift (45 minutes to an hour three days a week to prevent overtraining and LBM loss), eat one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, and reduce calories only by 20% from maintenance to lose only 1lb to 2lbs a week tops.

You'll need a skin caliper and weight scale to weekly monitor your bodyfat percentage and lean body mass to ensure you're not losing muscle.
  • I'm around 170 pounds so you're saying I should be eating 170 grams of protein? Thats alot of protein I usually only reach around 100?
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Supplement with whey and casein protein powder to get protein requirements?
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Although the skin calipers are the most accurate, I've found that the body fat calculators over at Fat2Fit are very close to what my trainer gets using calipers. The website for their tools is:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

But you are trying to do exactly what I'm trying to do as well. And it's a tough balancing act, making sure that you are losing body fat and gaining muscle. I'm not sure they can be done simultaneously. Lose body fat and try to hold onto the muscle you've got, then add muscle but try to make sure that you aren't adding body fat.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Another good website I've found through people posting about it here on MFP is Body Recomposition.com

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    I'm around 170 pounds so you're saying I should be eating 170 grams of protein? Thats alot of protein I usually only reach around 100?
    I'd up the protein. Protein builds muscle. Also, taking BCAAs have been shown in studies to increase muscle and decrease fat.
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    So if I eat at around 500 calorie defict and lift heavy 5 days a week I'll lose weight and gain muscle? as long as I keep my protein up?

I'll be dropping some fat next week also. 500 calories below maintenance and 1g protein per pound of body weight. I'll aim to lift at least as heavy as I usually do. I might also do 30 minutes of cardio after lifting to help hurry the process along.
  • foodfastfit
    foodfastfit Posts: 154 Member
    Cut first, bulk later...

Get down to bodyfat you want to be at. lets assume around 10%. Then you set a limit to how much fat you're willing to gain on a bulk cycle. Say 12% body fat. So you just bulk untill you hit around 12% body fat, then you get rid of that fat. To minimize muscle loss on your cut, have a small calorie deficit...

I agree with cutting first and bulking later. I don't like carrying around too much excess.