Eating healthy / exercise on transatlantic flight

Options
This time next week I'll be flying from London to Chicago (and then back the week after). I've done so well over the last few weeks with lots of exercise and healthy eating and I'm worried that 9 hours of boredom on a flight is going to push me backwards. I'm flying on my own and its during the day time so I'm unlikely to be able to sleep (I can't ever on planes and I'm more nervous as not flying with anyone).

Aaaggghhhh, I'm just worried I'll nibble on things that I get offered through boredom!

Replies

• stringcheeze
    Options
    Bring your own snacks in your carry-on (if you have room). Only get water from the beverage cart.

If you're not too self conscious about it (like if the person you're sitting next to is sleeping), try "chair" exercises: tense the muscles in one area, hold for ten seconds, then release and repeat. You can do this with your arms, legs, butt, stomach, shoulders. Trace the alphabet out with each foot. It'll help to keep your blood flowing.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    bring a good book and your own snacks, nuts are filling and while I don't eat it often maybe some dried fruits, banana chips are crunchy and sweet. :flowerforyou:
  • thecountess
    thecountess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt eat nuts on a flight etc as i think they are toooooo many calories ...anyone got any other ideas for holiday flights as once i hit the airport ist like ....holiday time ...freedom here i come !
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    Do you get an in-flight meal included?
    A lot of airlines offer a healthy option meal now, as I have heard the average in-flight meal comes in around 1000 calories, and the portions are hardly huge (or haven't been on any I have been on) and so 1000 calories isn't jusifiable to me for what you get! we have chosen not to have our in-flight meal this year, but our flight is at night and only 2.5 hours, so I imagine you will NEED to eat on your flight, dependent on what time it is at etc.

You could also only have enough small change to buy a bottle of water, and keep the rest of your money in the overhead locker, then you are unable to buy any crisps, choc etc?

And yes take your own snacks, those Kellogs fibre plus bars are quite nice and filling.
  • reba24784
    reba24784 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have made that flight many times !!!! bring gum so that you are not snacking so much !!!!! bring a book or something to read or cross word book!!!! good luck and have fun in chicago :happy:
  • lsiberian
    Options
    I'd avoid the inflight meal on taste alone. I've flown some airlines that have good food, but it's rare. Watch every movie they offer until you land. Movies keep us distracted. Take healthy filling snacks with you, but be very strict with yourself. And make sure you get up every couple of hours. If you do want to sleep the best spot is on the window seat. The flight to is pretty short, but the flight from is a bit longer. Still 8 hours isn't too bad. That's 3 movies once you count all the take off and landing procedures.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would go buy a copy of every fitness and nutrition related magazine that I could find. Reading them on the plane may help keep you motivated and help you from becoming to bored. Perhaps a book about running or other fitness related topics would be nice as well, and you can check them out from a library. Sometimes reading makes me sleepy on the plane so perhaps you will become more relaxed at the same time. Good Luck!