5k walk

Options
I have to share this story....I have quite a bit of weight to lose..approx 60 lbs. Yesterday I did a 5k walk and I finished it. At times during the walk I really thought I would not be able to finish it. It was such a hot day and so many times I felt like stopping. It was such an accomplishment to finish. It took me 55 minutes to complete. Sure there were joggers and runners, but I walked at my pace. There were many people there routing me on and thanks to the great people of the community handed out ice water.
Ok so I finished #600...and there were 602 people in the race :laugh:

When I was finished I was on an high..I am so convinced that I am going to suceed in the weight loss journey and it is because of my determination and the support of everyone around me and of course to my MFP friends.

Diane

Replies

• theatremack
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I did a 5K walk yesterday too - there were only 300 participants but I would say there were over 20 that didn't finish it until after an hour! So you are doing GREAT!! Next year I hope to run it, hopefully you will too!! :)
  • dianka93
    dianka93 Posts: 21
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • 66PollyAnna
    66PollyAnna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think you did remarkable! You should go watch a longer marathon for inspiration as well. All shapes,ages , and sizes participate. Great job!
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Congratulations! There is nothing wrong with WALKING a 5K unless you stage up front at the start and everyone has to go around you (I used to get really annoyed at those folks :laugh: ). I'm glad that you got the "high" from it. That's a great feeling and will keep you coming back.

If you start losing your commitment to walking these events, here is an idea for you that has worked for my wife and I. She is a walker and I'm a runner so we look for events that has seperate divisions for each. I have to walk out the lactic acid after a run anyway so I go back along the outside of the route when I'm finished and go back to find her and walk in with her. I suggest you find someone to do that with.

I don't recommend finding another walker to go with as it becomes too social and you finish up the event without pushing yourself and getting the "high".

Keep up the good work!
  • Dianeb412
    Options
    thanks for the information. I started out walking with a friend- she has long legs and I am a lot shorter. I knew I couldnt keep up with her- so I had my IPOD- listening to fast tunes and when I felt a breeze and I was not in the direct sunlight- it seemed I got a boost of energy and that is when I would speed up my walk. I know there is another 5k in Oct that I will do. At least then..the weather should be cooler.:bigsmile:
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You should do better in October, considering that you'll be a little lighter, a little fitter and more experienced plus the weather will be cooler. Great job on finishing the walk and keep walking.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    respect-040.GIF
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!