HELP! SWIMSUITS that don't DIG IN AT THE HIPS!

Options
katg73
katg73 Posts: 77 Member
Happy FRIDAY!

So I've lost a decent amount of weight/body fat that I am getting close to being brave enough to attempt wearing a two piece in public. Problem is, my hips have ALWAYS been slightly chubby to a point where I hate when the suit digs into my hips! I'm not even that fat, but GOODNESS I HATE SEEING THIS lol.

Anyway, I'm thinking foldover bottoms might be good for this since it is an extra layer? But if anyone else has experienced this and has found certain ones that work better for this problem, please, OH PLEASE, DO SHARE :bigsmile:

Thaaaaaaaank yoooou!

Replies

• PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Fold over bottoms are the worst for "foogies"..or muffin top (whatever you call it). Maybe you're buying too small? I was having that problem before I lost weight. I would buy a large and it would fit my hips perfectly, but give me a droopy sad butt.

I just had to have my boyfriend stretch my bottoms out for me by almost ripping them then wore them in the shower and let them dry on me and they're good now!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    nothing should dig into anything, no matter what the size. go up a size until you find one that just lays flat. much more flattering.

you can get different sized tops & bottoms at some stores.

personally i go for classic bikini, or else 'boy shorts', like this: http://www.swimoutlet.com/boy_shorts_s/608.htm + regular bikini top

(that was an example - mine doesn't have a seam down the middle, seamless is better)
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    oooooo wait a second.. buy the bottoms that tie and adjust on the sides! derrr
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    oooooo wait a second.. buy the bottoms that tie and adjust on the sides! derrr

yeah those are great!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to try different styles on and make sure you can by different sizes for top and bottom.

I just bought a new swim suit at old navy and hated the bottoms that tied on the side, but loved the regular bikini bottoms.. and tried on all sizes to make sure I got the right fit.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Yes, a string bottom is going to be your best bet. The non string kind have strong elastic in the waist so they don't slip down to your ankles in the water.
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Honestly depending on which part I am most self conscious about, I either wear board shorts or a rash guard. I used to be super self conscious about that dg in around the hips and my saggy butt so I would wear a bikini top and board shorts. After I got married I gained a bit of weight so I was really self conscious about my belly area... then I would wear a rashguard and bikini bottoms.

Now I'm self conscious about all of it but still plan on wearing a rash guard and bikini bottoms or a little skirtini tankini haha. Gotta love the controlling mind.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Happy FRIDAY!

So I've lost a decent amount of weight that I am getting close to being brave enough to attempt wearing a two piece in public. Problem is, my hips have ALWAYS been slightly chubby to a point where I hate when the suit digs into my hips! I'm not even that fat, but GOODNESS I HATE SEEING THIS lol.

Anyway, I'm thinking foldover bottoms might be good for this since it is an extra layer? But if anyone else has experienced this and has found certain ones that work better for this problem, please, OH PLEASE, DO SHARE :bigsmile:

I know EXACLY what you mean, same problem.

Thaaaaaaaank yoooou!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Get the swimsuit bottoms that tie at the sides. That way you can control how tight it is and also cover up any "hip dip" you might have. That's why I chose my bikini! Lol
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Bikini bottoms that have strings on the sides so you can adjust how tight or loose they are.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You may not like this answer but what I used to do when I had that problem was buy the bottom one size bigger than the top.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Bikini bottoms that have strings on the sides so you can adjust how tight or loose they are.

Or this.
  • katg73
    Options
    Fold over bottoms are the worst for "foogies"..or muffin top (whatever you call it). Maybe you're buying too small? I was having that problem before I lost weight. I would buy a large and it would fit my hips perfectly, but give me a droopy sad butt.

I just had to have my boyfriend stretch my bottoms out for me by almost ripping them then wore them in the shower and let them dry on me and they're good now!

Okay maybe I didn't explain myself well. Basically, I'm a size 4 now and wear size small underwear (American sizing) and I've always gotten size large in swimsuit bottoms because I deeeeeeply do not like the dig-in I see in my hips -- I just put on my old size large and it STILL does it. The problem with going even bigger than this is that it then becomes loose on my butt. I don't mean to sound like I'm barking back or anything like that, it's just a little frustrating to be given a common sense answer like that. I know not everyone on here has common sense, but I'd hope that I be given the benefit of the doubt first lol.

There is a very good chance that it's a mental thing that I just HATE seeing on myself. So I'm not really looking for the response of "maybe you got a size too small" coz I'm very generous with upping my sizes in that department. When I say "dig in" this is what I mean:

fat-bikini-woman_1.jpg
    Clearly her bottom is a bit too small for her, but that's essentially what I'm referring to on the hips and I'm thinking it has to do w/the type of waist band.

So let me rephrase my question better:

....... which style of swimsuit is the SMOOTHEST looking on your hips IF you still have some chubbs on that particular area???
  • PoopieMonster
    Options

Okay maybe I didn't explain myself well. Basically, I'm a size 4 now and wear size small underwear (American sizing) and I've always gotten size large in swimsuit bottoms because I deeeeeeply do not like the dig-in I see in my hips -- I just put on my old size large and it STILL does it. The problem with going even bigger than this is that it then becomes loose on my butt. I don't mean to sound like I'm barking back or anything like that, it's just a little frustrating to be given a common sense answer like that. I know not everyone on here has common sense, but I'd hope that I be given the benefit of the doubt first lol.

There is a very good chance that it's a mental thing that I just HATE seeing on myself. So I'm not really looking for the response of "maybe you got a size too small" coz I'm very generous with upping my sizes in that department. When I say "dig in" this is what I mean:

fat-bikini-woman_1.jpg
    Clearly her bottom is a bit too small for her, but that's essentially what I'm referring to on the hips and I'm thinking it has to do w/the type of waist band.

<b>....... which style of swimsuit is the SMOOTHEST looking on your hips IF you still have some chubbs on that particular area???</b>

apologies for the common sense, I should have known better!
  • katg73
    Options

fat-bikini-woman_1.jpg

<b>....... which style of swimsuit is the SMOOTHEST looking on your hips IF you still have some chubbs on that particular area???</b>

It's okay, I totally get it... it definitely exists with some people on here lol.
  • PoopieMonster
    Options
    ....... which style of swimsuit is the SMOOTHEST looking on your hips IF you still have some chubbs on that particular area???

I think this question has been answered already..
  • PoopieMonster
    Options

It's okay, I totally get it... it definitely exists with some people on here lol.

I was being sarcastic :tongue:

Nothing about stretching your bottoms out and wearing them in the shower then allowing them to dry on your body is common sense.
  • katg73
    Options

I think this question has been answered already..

I tried searching for it before posting mine and didn't have any luck... ??? That'd be great if you could find it and link me!
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    well, sorry, but no we don't know you! lots of people get stuck on sizing and refuse to go bigger.

i think the tie-sides might be your best bet, and then as someone else said, just try a ton on to see how the cut of the pant lies on your toosh.

like, i have the opposite problem (round toosh, things cut along the cheeks), so i look for a pant that's quite full there, rather than one that's cut narrower.

eg: sorry you can't see the backs of these, it's just the example i know best.

in the gap's underwear section, the high-cuts always cut a V into my butt:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=764603&amp;locale=en_US&amp;kwid=1&amp;sem=false&amp;sdReferer=http://www.gap.com/products/womens-underwear-sale.jsp&amp;scid=764603852&amp;vid=1

but the girl shorts and hipsters give me complete & comfortable coverage:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=321906&amp;locale=en_US&amp;kwid=1&amp;sem=false&amp;sdReferer=http://www.gap.com/products/womens-underwear-sale.jsp&amp;scid=321906132&amp;vid=1

so maybe for you, high-cut + a side tie?