Training to run

Options
I started running more seriously this spring. I ran my first two 5Ks the last two weeks. I think my best time is 35M 25S, but I average about 38 - 39M. I would like to increase my speed, so I have been running up hills, doing the sprint, walk or slower jog, sprint, etc. and trying to run two to three times a week (in addition to working out by lifting weights and taking classes such as zumba, yoga, spinning, interval training, aerobics, etc. every day). My speed doesn't seem to be increasing much and when I push it I AM SOOO SORE! I don't have the body of a runner, so I know it's not going to come easy, but us anyone has any ideas to help me increase my speed, that would be great! I'd like to eventually get to under 30 minutes......

Replies

• bonelessskinless
    Options
    you practicing on a track or treadmill?
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I started running more seriously this spring. I ran my first two 5Ks the last two weeks. I think my best time is 35M 25S, but I average about 38 - 39M. I would like to increase my speed, so I have been running up hills, doing the sprint, walk or slower jog, sprint, etc. and trying to run two to three times a week (in addition to working out by lifting weights and taking classes such as zumba, yoga, spinning, interval training, aerobics, etc. every day). My speed doesn't seem to be increasing much and when I push it I AM SOOO SORE! I don't have the body of a runner, so I know it's not going to come easy, but us anyone has any ideas to help me increase my speed, that would be great! I'd like to eventually get to under 30 minutes......
    [/quote
    Duh. That would be...but IF anyone has any ideas to help me. Typo...]
  • Momjogger
    Options
    I run outside and about once a week or once every two weeks I do one 10M30S to 11M mile on the tread mill
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    No quick fixes. Increase your mileage and speed will improve ( but no more than 10% a week). Also try to get at least one speed session and one long run per week. Just be sure not to do too much too soon.
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    For me, I simply forced myself to run faster for longer periods on the treadmill. I am not a "natural runner" but have found that I enjoy it simply because I'm able to do it now. On the treadmill, I started at 6.0 mph (10 min/mile) for periods of 2 minutes and then slow it down to 5.0 mph to catch my breath (no more than 1 minute). Then I would speed it back up. Eventually, I got to where I could run a mile in 10 minutes. When that happened, I then focused on running 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. That took me about 2 weeks. Upon reaching the 1.5 mile mark, I focused on finishing in 12 minutes (7.5 mph or 8 min/mile). I started at 6.0 and then every minute, I increased the speed by .1 and the incline by .5 every 5 minutes. I'm not saying this was the best way or even the correct way, but I can now easily run 3 miles in 25 minutes (just to toot my own horn: my PB is 6 miles in 60:01 minutes) One thing I've noticed is that when I run outdoors, even though I ALWAYS feel like I'm barely moving, my pace is usually much better than when I run on the treadmill. Anyhow, hope this helps and good luck to you!
  • Momjogger
    Options
    For me, I simply forced myself to run faster for longer periods on the treadmill. I am not a "natural runner" but have found that I enjoy it simply because I'm able to do it now. On the treadmill, I started at 6.0 mph (10 min/mile) for periods of 2 minutes and then slow it down to 5.0 mph to catch my breath (no more than 1 minute). Then I would speed it back up. Eventually, I got to where I could run a mile in 10 minutes. When that happened, I then focused on running 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. That took me about 2 weeks. Upon reaching the 1.5 mile mark, I focused on finishing in 12 minutes (7.5 mph or 8 min/mile). I started at 6.0 and then every minute, I increased the speed by .1 and the incline by .5 every 5 minutes. I'm not saying this was the best way or even the correct way, but I can now easily run 3 miles in 25 minutes (just to toot my own horn: my PB is 6 miles in 60:01 minutes) One thing I've noticed is that when I run outdoors, even though I ALWAYS feel like I'm barely moving, my pace is usually much better than when I run on the treadmill. Anyhow, hope this helps and good luck to you!

That I a great accomplishment! I am envious! I will try it. It's just that I feel like I am giving my all for the full ten and a half minutes, so it seems impossible to increase it (on the treadmill), but if I try adding one minute at a time, maybe that would work. Thanks!