Lindt Excellence 99% Cocoa Dark Chocolate, wow!

Options
I tried Lindt 99% cocoa fine dark chocholate (50g) for the first time...and wow! this is the first time I tasted chocolate bar with absolutely no sweetness and pure! it also comes with a warning that first time eaters should try their 75% first...then 88%..then only build up to 99%, and I can understand why! it is slightly bitter and not many can stand the taste,but because of the taste u will be sure it is almost pure cocoa only, taste so rich of chocolate that ur craving will be gone immediately with one piece. according to MFP one bar is 270 kcal, so 1 piece is about 13 kcal as there is 21 pieces in a bar...not sure how good or bad it fares in term with calories as compared with other brands.

anyone else tasted before? or any other healthy choc recommendations? coz I will definitely buy another bar of 99% cocoa when the current one finishes, for my occasional choc cravings =D

Replies

• lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    yes I love it. I usually get the ones flavoured with orange or almond though as I like the contrast. It's good because it's so rich you only need a couple of squares to satisfy your chocolate craving :tongue:
  • InsolentMint
    Options
    I love dark chocolate, but I prefer 80-90 %. 99 % is a bit too much for me, but when I had them, I prefered to just let them melt on my tounge.
  • chidori_nep
    chidori_nep Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yes I love it. I usually get the ones flavoured with orange or almond though as I like the contrast. It's good because it's so rich you only need a couple of squares to satisfy your chocolate craving :tongue:

oh they have high purity ones with almond? I would probably get that instead as I love almonds...

InsolentMint: I love dark chocolates too and I think I will also prefer 80-90%..but if it is too nice I will probably cant help myself n finish the whole bar immediately! that would be sooo bad for my calory counting. .
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    yes i only buy dark chocolate now 83% is the highest they have here and dinner mints 1-2 pieces and the cravings are gone love it, if you keep it in the fridge or freezer you be even less tempted because the body wants the soft melt in the mouth cold chocolate does not give that so much
  • lisamarie1780
    Options
    yes i only buy dark chocolate now 83% is the highest they have here and dinner mints 1-2 pieces and the cravings are gone love it, if you keep it in the fridge or freezer you be even less tempted because the body wants the soft melt in the mouth cold chocolate does not give that so much

ooh no, I love the cold crack when I bite into it.... I purposely keep mine in the fridge haha
  • lisamarie1780
    Options

oh they have high purity ones with almond? I would probably get that instead as I love almonds...

InsolentMint: I love dark chocolates too and I think I will also prefer 80-90%..but if it is too nice I will probably cant help myself n finish the whole bar immediately! that would be sooo bad for my calory counting. .

I'm not sure if you can get 90% flavoured ones, I'm sure you could if you looked online but not seen that high cocoa solids in shops... I normally buy 70-80%
  • chidori_nep
    Options
    keeping in freezer to reduce cravings? good idea I'll try it! plus in the freezer then it will be out of plain view so maybe if I donr see it then I dont remember it until the real urge comes..

hmmm I'll probably stick to 99% as it doesnt taste THAT good due to its bitterness but good to stop me from taking more than 1 piece coz it is too pure n thick!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I tried Lindt 99% cocoa fine dark chocholate (50g) for the first time...and wow! this is the first time I tasted chocolate bar with absolutely no sweetness and pure! it also comes with a warning that first time eaters should try their 75% first...then 88%..then only build up to 99%, and I can understand why! it is slightly bitter and not many can stand the taste,but because of the taste u will be sure it is almost pure cocoa only, taste so rich of chocolate that ur craving will be gone immediately with one piece. according to MFP one bar is 270 kcal, so 1 piece is about 13 kcal as there is 21 pieces in a bar...not sure how good or bad it fares in term with calories as compared with other brands.

anyone else tasted before? or any other healthy choc recommendations? coz I will definitely buy another bar of 99% cocoa when the current one finishes, for my occasional choc cravings =D
    I haven't tried it, although I would like to. I eat 85% sometimes, although I prefer it slightly sweeter, so maybe I ened to work up to 99%!

I think it probably helps some people who crave chocolate, but I'm sure that a for lot of people who love chocolate, sugar is part of what they're craving. I know lots of people who love chocolate, but don't like it even as dark as 70%! I don't think 99% would do much for them! :laugh:

Then again, I eat chocolate for chocolate's sake. I don't get too hung up on the "healthiness" of it, or how low I can get the calories. I just eat it. (Sometimes even more than 1 square at a time... shhh.... :wink: )
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You've made me want to go out and try some. 85% is the max I've had.

I imagine 99% could be like being on drugs.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    There is always 2~3 Lindt bars in my freezer. Haven't worked up to 99% yet, but I do have 85%. And sea salt, orange, chili pepper. I couple of squares is perfect :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think 93% is the max I've tried, and that was way too much for me lol!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I eat mine with a few raspberries. The contrast is amazing and really satisfies me.
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There is always 2~3 Lindt bars in my freezer. Haven't worked up to 99% yet, but I do have 85%. And sea salt, orange, chili pepper. I couple of squares is perfect :D

Aaaaaah, I love the sea salt! It is fiendish! The dark richness and sweetness, with the kick of salt *droolz*
  • chidori_nep
    Options
    You've made me want to go out and try some. 85% is the max I've had.

I imagine 99% could be like being on drugs.

haha I dont think so!! 99% is definitely not as nice as 80+%, simply because it is not sweet at all!! not most people's cup of tea. but I feel it is really good to curb cravings if u like chocolate for the cocoa taste because you wouldnt want more than 1 piece coz it is too thick n slightly bitter! but good to fulfill the chocolate craving....

if I slim n thin then I would probably go for 80+% with almond n fruits :heart: :heart:
  • chidori_nep
    Options

Aaaaaah, I love the sea salt! It is fiendish! The dark richness and sweetness, with the kick of salt *droolz*

how to eat with sea salt n chilli pepper?? sprinkle on it?? :indifferent:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    We were in Paris a couple of weeks ago and I brought a stash of 90% bars home. Should have bought more.

Letting them melt in your mouth with a few dried cherries is heavenly.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options

how to eat with sea salt n chilli pepper?? sprinkle on it?? :indifferent:

I believe the are bars with those flavors if I am not mistaken.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i LOVE the 99 percent. However, like you said no sweetness so not everyones cup of tea. The ones with seas salt, chili, orange etc have a lot more of a sugar and carb content so if you are looking to lower your levels of that the 85-99 percent is the way to go. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the flavored ones but the ones with 'stuff' in them really vary in levels of sugar.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This post is such a coincidence 'cause I so very nearly bought this particular bar of chocolate today but opted for the 90% one just to be on the safe side. I'm only just getting the taste for dark chocolate having always been a Cadbury milk chocolate girl previously.

I have tried the chilli, orange and pistachio flavours of Lindt, all lovely of course.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    oh my days I have to try this... I love the 85% one, although I've not seen any higher than 85%, and not sure they'll sell it in Bahrain anyway. But we'll see....